3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mor-Ryde Rubber Leaf System for rear suspension.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mor-Ryde Rubber Leaf System for rear suspension.

I'm looking for a way to improve the ride quality of my short bed 3500 when empty and when pulling the fiver. (The wife has a bad back and a luxo ride would be nice for her hubby also.)

Have any of you installed the Mor-Ryde RL system on your truck? Mor-Ryde claims it will improve the ride of loaded and unloaded trucks. If so, what do you think of it? Did you install it yourself and how did the installation go?

Thanks for your help!

John
Old 11-11-2004, 05:56 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Good news - - the system is fantastic. They were installing them on all kinds of trucks when we were at the factory this summer.

Bad news - - can't install it on 3rd gen Dodge. The frame spring brackets are welded in place and it would be too much of a hassle to remove them to install the new suspension.

Good news - - I saved a lot of money because they couldn't install them on my truck.

Bad news - - its rides rough, still. But not bad considering it is a dually.

Consider better shocks - - that is where I am going.
Bob
Old 11-11-2004, 05:59 PM

Grinder? Give me 5 minutes a side.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Check out the T-Rex/KORE rear suspension. Supposed to ride great as it is more progressive.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Our new 5th wheel has the Mor-Ryde equalizers, and ride is MUCH improved over the previous Dexter spring/shock/mechanical equalizer suspension. Nothing shifts in the 5th wheel during travel, and ride in the truck is so much better, even my wife comments about how much better the new RV tows.

If you can't get Mor-Ryde suspension on the truck, putting it on the 5th wheel helps the ride in the truck when towing as well.

Rusty
Old 11-12-2004, 07:22 PM

Thanks for your help folks. I guess the Mor-Ryde RL system @ about $600 is to good to be true. Too Bad!

kry226, I look into the T-Rex/Kore system.

Thanks again!

John
Old 11-12-2004, 07:35 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I am putting in a set of rear air bags next week.
A good friend of mine is building them with a rear stabalizer bar.

SunnyBobinFloridadislikesairbagscuzhehadbadluckwit hmanyofthemwithotherapplications.

I will report if I have encountered any leaks or problems with my sometimes -40F climate this winter.
I think air bags with the T-Rex-Kore will be nice for trailering.
I have the T-Rex now, with it leveling the front, any tongue weight puts the headlights up too high. Leveling with the air bags will resolve it.
Adjusting the headlights will aim them down too far unloaded.

Scotty

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2004, 08:47 AM

I put bags on my stock 03 and had to take them off, wasn't a good option for me. I'm going for shocks first, although the ride doesn't really bother me much.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:17 AM

how about some air ride seats? Mopar mudder what was the problem with the bags or why didnt you like them?
Old 11-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Top's Younger Twin

This is just a guess here on my part but I think some of the 'on the market' air bags have some inherent design flaws.
Some do not have enough travel. Some look twisted under load and some are just not big enough for towing.

Thats why I decided to look at a custom fabricated set from a friend that does suspensions

Mopar, what was the issue on yours?

Scotty
Old 11-13-2004, 01:24 PM

Like you said, travel. They are made to go inbetween the frame and axle, well if you look their just isn't much room their. The things would bottom out before the truck could drop down low enough to ride level. My 40' gooseneck would bottom them out when the trailer was empty.

Their answer was to add enough air to bring the back of truck up to normal ride height, well that is just to high for me. Not to mension you are still limiting travel.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:59 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
You is right, big boy - - hate air bags. They have cost me too much aggravation and money down the years. I am sure there are some good applications for them. They sure work good on the cabs of OTR trucks - - helps hold the kidneys in the same place. I think you are right, Scotty - - some design flaws is right. I just can't see all the hastles on some of the air hitch setups I have seen. Man, air pumps, hoses to hook up and disconnect, change the setting to changing loads.

I love the IS suspension from MORryde - - is does make the unit ride much smoother along with the new rubber kingpin. Good combination to smooth stuff out.

MORryde is still working on getting something for the 3rd gen Dodge. They wanted to experiment on mine while I was there. Well, I don't think so. If I lived near there, I would have taken them up on the offer, but not living 1400 miles away. NOPE
Old 11-14-2004, 12:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by Mopar_Mudder
Like you said, travel. They are made to go inbetween the frame and axle, well if you look their just isn't much room their. The things would bottom out before the truck could drop down low enough to ride level. My 40' gooseneck would bottom them out when the trailer was empty.

Their answer was to add enough air to bring the back of truck up to normal ride height, well that is just to high for me. Not to mension you are still limiting travel.
Thanks for the reply, that is exactly what we are addressing...I guess for lack of better description, the bags are offset with brackets just slightly behind the axle but still bolted on up top and down below at the axle. Picture a taller air bag with a step down bracket on the top and a step up on the bottom that has a flange to mount on the axle and the frame.

Make sense? It did to me once I saw the first set of brackets. fine tuning and fitting this week.
Next I will need in cab adjustment. Wonder where I can that.

Scotty
Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 AM

Makes perfect sence, that is actually along the lines of what I was thinking of trying to come up with myself. Let me know how it turns out, I might be interested.

I was also going to try and mount them out side the frame just like the second gens do, I think their is room. But with my B&W hitch that clamps around the frame I would have to make up some speacial plates and brackets to hold that and the air bags. Not hard to do, just been too lazy so far.

As for in cab adjust, I did have the Air Lift in cab stuff along with mine. The guage pod fit perfect in the little storage hole below the cubby hole, looked like it was made to be their. It was a little hard to read down their, but not like you adjust them that often.

Though I had a picture somewhere but I cant find it. Oh ya they are a white face guage also.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:44 AM
Top's Younger Twin

We looked at the outside too. Bags are too big.
We also looked at incorporating the air bag with the rear attachment of the leaf springs. For simplicity and not lookin like we are copying someone elses efforts, we went with the brackets.

Quick Reply: Mor-Ryde Rubber Leaf System for rear suspension.