3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Money tight and the truck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Money tight and the truck...

Well, it has to go. Its a 2006 SLT Mega Cab. Silver in color, the wood grain has all been painted to match the exterior. It has powder coat silver N-fab steps and a weld in muffler an tip. All the trim has been painted silver as well. It has gray cloth interior, auto, 4wd, 6 disc, 7800 miles.

My question is how hard of a hit am I going to take when I list it locally. What should I ask??

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
you will lose a ton. the hit will be more than if you found a different avenue to free up some funds.

the truck payment is usually the next highest after the house, so it bears the brunt of the $$ di$cu$$ion.

but really, count up your monthly spending, we spend more going out to eat than the truck payment. stupid, but true

if you bought the truck, you have a use for it, and probably need it, so no use to get rid of it, because when you get back stable, just go buy another one.

i have 6 people in my quad cab every other week, and i wish i had a Mega sometimes.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:16 AM

o4ctd is right , you will probably lose a good bit. And your better off keeping it. Look at it this way, You have a new truck that you bought, at probably a good price, with probably a good interest rate that you want to sell and lose your down payment, recover from depriciation( spelling???) then take some of that money and buy a used truck and seeing that you bought a new mega 4x4 diesel your not going to be happy with a 84 dodge raider so you'll probably buy a 03 and up ram diesel thats in the 20's put more money down, pay off the difference that you owe unless you get more for it than your down payment and pay off. then finance the new used truck that you know nothing about pay a high used car rate and more than likely you'll have a very close payment to the mega ( within a $100 or so ).

Unless you can get more than your pay off for your mega ( you can call and check your payoff and usually interest free) usually only done buy selling outright. Its not worth it.

as far as what its worth, go to kbb.com it will give you, trade in, wholesale, private sale prices.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Another reason I hate dealers. Talking people into deals they can't afford.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:26 AM

Sorry to hear about your situation. Have you phoned the lender and asked to defer a couple payments until you are back on your feet? They would rather you keep it. Been there done that.The guys are right, if you try to sell it you will be way upside down. Hope it works out. Later.
Old 08-18-2006, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
Another reason I hate dealers. Talking people into deals they can't afford.

Now I am sorry, that statement right there strike's a nerve with me! Just yesterday I had a 20 year old young man in my showroom with his new wife wanting to trade me an 05 Chevy Cobalt in on a new 06 Ram 2500 quad cab diesel 4x4. His logic in trading was that sometimes he helps his dad haul firewood, and he needs a truck for that. This kid drives about 50-60 miles per day, doesn't own a trailer, lives in town, has no use for this truck what so ever, but to help his dad haul firewood sometimes. This kid was not rich nor was he from a well to do family. He was in no position to be trading. I tried to discourage him, but so far he is still wanting to trade. I am having to pull some strings to get his financing through. We'll see what happens. I would say the percentage of people I sell trucks to that can't afford them and have no practical use for a HD diesel truck other than they "want" it accounts for about 50-60% of my HD truck sales. I try to sell them all something smaller and more practical, maybe a half ton, maybe a dakota, maybe a Jeep, but I never have much luck. Kinda like the lady and her husband that come in who want a new loaded up Durango to haul their two kids around in. They got bad credit, 10 credit cards maxed out, maybe making 20-25k a year a piece, barely can live form one paycheck to the next, but they gotta have a new hemi Durango, with leather and don't forget the sunroof! Can't do without that you know! I am totally convinced that American consumers are getting stupider by the second in buying things they ought not be buying, they don't need them, can't afford them, but they gotta have it. I still have a few decent people come in that have their financial ships in shape, and I like to deal with those type's. Most of the time they don't buy a 3500 Mega cab Laramie with a sunroof, they buy just enough to do what they need to do, and I guess that is why they are in good financial shape. I have a thing I do now when I am thinking about buying a new tractor, or baler, or trailer, or something for the dealership. If it is something we would have to finance, I think to myself, ok, if you had enough in the bank to go out and buy that thing for cash, would you be willing to part with all that hard earned cash all in one chunk for that new whatever? 99% of the time my answer is no. But I am an tight old German whose family came form nothing and I don't want to go back to nothing. My wife and I go out to eat an average of once every three months. And our personal vehicles, ever though we have a dealership, are all over 14 years old. I guess I am to behind the times?
Old 08-18-2006, 09:52 AM

The customer is always right!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by xyzer
I guess. Come sit on my side of the desk for awhile and you'll see what I am talking about!
Old 08-18-2006, 10:27 AM

I agree with most . . . though how you come out on it is going to be a function of how much you paid for it, how many miles you put on it and whether it's still in mint condition. As an example, my 2006 (bought in March) 2500 Laramie, loaded is still basically stock. The sticker price was 47,205 and I ended up walking out the door with the truck for 35,500 after rebates and such. I just checked the Blue Book Value on the truck and in excellent condition (which the truck is, it's only got 3,100 miles on it) the trucks value is $38,930 for private party valule, so I definately ought to be able to get out of it what I put in since I've only got about 34,000 or so left to pay. Hate to see you have to sell your new ride, though

Thomas
Old 08-18-2006, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by xyzer
That has not been the case for many years. You have oviously not dealt with customers on a sales basis. The customer is usually never right and most of the time they are stupid too. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

When was the last time you bought a car? They NEVER give you what you want on trade-in until you are walking out. And, if you talk on the phone with them and tell them EXACTLY what you are looking for, they convienently forget talking to you. Not bashing all dealers, but that has been my experience.

Banks and other business like credit cards are no better. They want your money and are usually unwilling to help. Unless you give them money.

If this country focused on being happy, healthy and smart things would be diffirent than the "I want that, but I don't have enough. I'll just put it on a credit card." or "I have to have the latest and coolest of EVERYTHING"

The truck I'm looking for is a 2003-04.4 ST single cab 4wd auto. THey are impossible to find and dealers say they will look for one, but have yet to get a call back. I would take an 06' too, but again, they are unwilling to look. They only have SLT or sport's. I don't want electric seats, but it comes with it so I have to pay for it. NOPE, not gonna happen.

So apparently the customer isn't always right.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Price_Dog
I agree with most . . . though how you come out on it is going to be a function of how much you paid for it, how many miles you put on it and whether it's still in mint condition. As an example, my 2006 (bought in March) 2500 Laramie, loaded is still basically stock. The sticker price was 47,205 and I ended up walking out the door with the truck for 35,500 after rebates and such. I just checked the Blue Book Value on the truck and in excellent condition (which the truck is, it's only got 3,100 miles on it) the trucks value is $38,930 for private party valule, so I definately ought to be able to get out of it what I put in since I've only got about 34,000 or so left to pay. Hate to see you have to sell your new ride, though

Thomas
Private party financing is impossible to get. Trust me. And I have good credit.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Price_Dog

Thomas

Price Dog. Not trying to be smart, but why would somebody pay $38,930 for yours when they could go out and buy a new one for $35,500 just as you did? A used truck, even if only slightly used, has to be cheaper than a new one or no one will buy it.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Luke,
I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. I wasn't saying that someone would PAY at, but that's what it's "worth". I don't know his situation, but I am saying that in my situation I could sell this truck and still come out okay - EX: I've got 33976.00 to pay off on the truck, I'm relatively sure that I could sell it for 35,000. Would it make good sense? Probably not, but if I had to do it I would do it. Luckily I'm not in a situation where I have to, but things happen and I could be in that situation one day. I also don't finance my trucks for 6 or 7 years.

Pantera,
We'll have to agree to disagree. Depends on who you are working with. All I have to do is pick up the phone, call my credit union what I want and how much it costs and they drop the money in my account that day and send me the papers to sign . . . with an interest rate of 4.5% (on 1 and 2 year old vehicles). I've bought 3 trucks like that and they've ALWAYs been willing to give me more than I needed, since they go off of retail value.

Thomas
Old 08-18-2006, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Price Dog. Not trying to be smart, but why would somebody pay $38,930 for yours when they could go out and buy a new one for $35,500 just as you did? A used truck, even if only slightly used, has to be cheaper than a new one or no one will buy it.
Totally agree. I tried selling my 00 1500 GMC years ago, I only owed 16k on it, but with all the dealer incentives, ie rebates, low APR (not to mention thiers are NEW) it was near imposible to sell. I ended up trading it in and came out better than I had thought. maybe a fluke, but no one would buy it and the dealer gave me a fair price.

I would not sell it unless you have no other options and just need to get out from the hefty payment. Porbably better off trying to trade it on a lesser vehicle that would lower you payments
Old 08-18-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Luke S
Because mant people dont go out and look at new ones to see what they will cost them so often they pay as much or more for a used current year car or truck as what they could buy new for.

Quick Reply: Money tight and the truck...