3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Miss it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2004, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Miss it?

Any of you that have the ST model, miss any of the creepre features? Went in and dealed on a slt model but then we shot to a ST model( dont ask how we did that im not even sure haha) Butt hey where dealin on that like crazy. Current truck has the power windows locks mirrors and most of all overhead computer

Cant say i ever adjust my mirrors. Another member found some power kits for the windows/locks. Does anyone know if the wiring for the mirrors and overhead computer are in there anyway?
Old 06-15-2004, 03:53 PM

My truck is an ST, but came with options such as tow pkg, limited slip, cruise, tilt, CD player, chrome bumpers, tinted winders, trailer tow mirrors, uhhh I think that's about it.

I can honestly say that the only things I really wish I had were the power locks/windows and mirrors. Adjusting the mirrors (especially once folded out) on a truck this size is a real hassle, and since I use them when towing, they need to be readjusted every time, back and forth... ugggh The locks are probably going to be the first things I convert to power... again, too big of a truck to be constantly reaching to the far side of the cab from the drivers seat. Since I have a young child, I am always having to get into the passenger rear door... power locks would be really nice. I could probably live with the windows, but they are definitely on the list of wanted items.

When I first bought the truck, I really wanted the overhead console and had even bid (and lost) on a few on Ebay. Now, after reading all these posts on mileage, I'm actually glad I don't have it. That thing would make me even more paranoid than I already am about my mileage!

Since buying the truck, I've added a custom grille shell (painted to match w/chrome inlay) and the chrome door spears as well as the H2 315 wheel/tire combo, so from the outside, you cannot tell the difference between my truck and a top of the line loaded model. It only took $800 to get there.

Believe it or not, I actually like the "cheap" cloth seats in the ST. The material has an ultra low pile that you don't stick to, and is a snap to clean up (great with kids). Too early to tell, but it looks like it will wear really well over the long term. The material is taught and the seats still look like they've never been sat in after 3K.

Mine was a heck of a deal too, that's why I bought it.... somewhere in the high 20's. Overall I am happy about my purchase... I thought I'd never be able to afford a New 4X4 CTD, but this ST made it a reality. But if I had to do it again, I'd spring for one with all the power garbage.
Old 06-15-2004, 06:56 PM

You know what they say, Buy it the way you really want it because it will cost 3 times as much to add it later

So don't complain that you were being frugal(CHEAP) when you bought it, just BOMB it and enjoy the ride
Old 06-15-2004, 10:58 PM

What i know im gonna miss is first off The Sun roof. Both my 99 and 97 ive put aftermarket power sunroofs in. bout 1500 a piece, those are nice. And after driving an 02 on a regular basis ive realized the yput that stupid rollbar up there so i cant have my sunroof. Those engineer jerks. Atleast i dont think i can.

thing thats bringin this up is the Insurance. ive got the choice between a SLT Larimie and the ST. Diffrent of 5 grand in asking price. The real bugger is insurance ( Sr22) The Larimie is gonna run me 390 aprox a month. The truck payment is estimated at 402 :P Its like jeepers ill just buy 2 trucks and well call it good

NOw on the ST the insurance quoted at 252 a month and the truck payemtn estimated at 316. So pumpin couple hundered ( estimated about 600) for the power options will not be too much of a concern. I just wanna know if i can put the after market overhead in haha. But i thought well i could just throw some switches up there. My 97 only tells me direnction and temp. And the 99 only gives me an "average" mpg so not very usefull. usually 3 ths off neway. ANd stays consistant within 1 mpg every fillup. So maybe a nice lil gps could go up there
Old 06-16-2004, 10:49 AM

[i]So don't complain that you were being frugal(CHEAP) when you bought it, just BOMB it and enjoy the ride [/B]
Ummm, I don't feel like I was complaining nor was I being frugal (CHEAP) when I bought it... like I said, that was the only way I could get into a new CTD. I was also buying a new Caravan for the wife at the exact same time, so I only had limited funds for the truck. I bought this truck with every intent on adding the things I wanted over time, like the power stuff, etc. This truck was marked way, way down and I figured by the time I had it built up to near SLT levels, I would have still saved several thousand bucks, and so far it's working out just as planned.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:53 AM

I have the ST,it has the bright grill, tilt, cruise,air,the only thing it dont have it power mirrors power seats,power windows or power locks,I bought a power lock kit but havent installed it yet and I plan on doing the windows too,I agree it is a long stretch to unlock the passenger door for someone,and the ST seat is pretty comfy and cleans up well and durable,but the best thing I think is the rubber floor mat,there is nothing I hate worse than carpet with stains on it,can make a new truck look shabby.
But it has everything that makes it a truck,4x4 locking differential trailer tow mirrors.I thought I would miss the overhead console,had it in my 2000,but now I dont even miss it,and the price was awsome
Old 07-23-2004, 05:00 PM

2003 ST2500 Quad 4x4 HO 6-speed, I been dirving mine for 42,000 miles and don't see the problem of rolling up a window or pushing in a door lock. The way I see it is the more automatic gagets you have the more can break. But if having these options is important to you get them, thats why there's chocolate & vanilla!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The harness is already there behind the headliner for the overhead computer, just plug her in. I would like to also think it's in the door too for the power mirrors. They wire all the trucks now days with the same harness for all options, faster on the assembly line to outfit a truck with what it is supposed to have and what it's not. It's like a plug and go system on the line.
Old 07-24-2004, 03:06 AM

Who, or which company are you insured with!? I thought mine was way high, at roughly $150 a month. That is full coverage/collision with a $500 deductible, and I have 2 speeding tickets (f'in ohio).

Try AAA, they were by far the cheapest I could find. I tried all the big names, the closest I could come was around your $300 a month. The Auto Club beats them all hands down, at least here in SE Michigan.

Mike
Old 07-24-2004, 06:55 AM

King, I also think that the first order of business is to shop around for more cost effective insurance.

Since your location info is missing, are you possibly referring to Canadian funds? That being said, your numbers still sound way to high for a decent insurance company that wants your business.

In any event, get the power mirrors - I never thought I'd have any use for them, but I use them much more often than I thought I would.
Old 07-24-2004, 09:43 AM

yah, i feel its a bit high as well. But there are factors that get it there. FIrst off. Im a great driver, no accidents, no saftey tickets ( lights belts what not) But well guess it could be saftey. I have speeding tickets up the wazooo

On top of that im only 20. When i turn 21 till be a lil better. But lucky for me a friend gave me a number for his insurance. Hes had some OWIs and what not. He had a GTP( supercharged ) grand prix. Ford ranger. all for lil over 100 a month. So might have to give them a call.
Old 07-24-2004, 04:38 PM

I have an ST. also.

The overhead console is cool but not a requirement.

Power mirrors are VERY nice.

Tilt.. .the wheel could go up a little bit more.

The center console underbench compartment AND armrest compartment were really nice too.

Cruise... I've gone 90K miles in 9 months without it... I feel safer not using it.

The lumbar on the SLT premium seats (my back is bad at 23!)

I will 2nd that the ST fabric is much BETTER than SLT fabric. It's actual CLOTH not like velour or whatever they call that stuff on the SLT.

I don't know for sure but I would say wiring for power locks/windows SHOULD be there. You will need to get the interior door panel also.