3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Michelin waranted sidewall cracking...

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Michelin warranted sidewall cracking...

I was cleaning the truck today and noticed that I had a little cracking on both my rear tires (OEM Michelin LTX A/S 265s)...the fronts you pretty much had to check with a magnifying glass. So I took the truck to Discount Tire and had them check it out.

I had one REAL tool bag come out there and start giving me crap about wanting to replace the OEM tires because of the minimal cracking, so I proceded to tell him that I only had 14k miles on them and asked him to imagine how bad it COULD be in 10k MORE miles (still less than what the warranty covers) and asked him if HE would feel safe with 10k+ lbs behind a truck this heavy with CRACKED tires...he said "No"

So then he called Michelin and told them I had some cracking, told them the mileage and they gave me a full credit and I replaced with BFGs. I KINDA wanted a bigger tire, but since I do almost ALL highway driving and alittle bit of towing, I stayed 265...this way I don't have to go and get recalibrated too...they look good!
Old 06-05-2007, 05:10 PM
Banned

Oops...forgot about the other thread...Only difference between mine and that one is that Michelin told me straight to my ear on the phone that I couldn't go to a bigger tire...I had to have 265s, which I was cool with, I just didn't want cracked tires. They told me that they had a LOT of people calling in there claiming that they had cracking in their sidewalls and were "tired of people taking advantage of their customer service for such minute tire problems" and I replied back with "Well, stop selling tires to folks that have CRACKS in the sidewalls. If these were little Honda Civics and these "minute" cracks showed up, it might not be such an issue. But these tires are on 7000lb+ vehicles that tow THOUSANDS of pounds and we just don't feel safe with CRACKS in our tires."...then I got new tires
Old 06-05-2007, 05:12 PM

same thing happened to me. but i took mine to sears and they told me they can only replace with the same type of tire. I didnt really care, i only had to pay $200 for $1200 worth of tires. this is a known issue about these tires. but i have never heard of one blowing... which anyone in their right mind
would get their tires replaced with sidewall cracking
Old 06-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sevir
same thing happened to me. but i took mine to sears and they told me they can only replace with the same type of tire. I didnt really care, i only had to pay $200 for $1200 worth of tires. this is a known issue about these tires. but i have never heard of one blowing... which anyone in their right mind
would get their tires replaced with sidewall cracking
They (Discount Tire) TRIED to get me back into the Michelin LTX A/Ss...and they TRIED to only get me into TWO new ones (replace the back ones with the worst cracking)...so I asked the guy why I would go from one crap set of Michelins and back into another of the SAME model and keep my fingers cross that I didn't end up with MORE cracking later. He said "yeah, that wouldnt' make sense now would it"

I hope that your new tires are working out for you though...I didn't mean my post to be disrespectful, but after seeing that THOUSANDS of people are ditching those crappy stock Michelins, I just could never find myself going back to them.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:14 AM

My 265 BFG Rugged trails had sidewall cracking, even some small chunks missing, but I never had a problem with them. I put 40k on them without issue.

I just upgraded to bfg 285s. They look great. The stockers are just too much of a pizza cutter for me. Besides, I'm in the sand a lot during desert season. I won't know if there is any real power loss until I get back out there, but I hope to have the Smarty on by then.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:51 AM
Banned

I've already tried once-DENIED. I guess I dont have the luck everyone else is having. I did notice the last time I rotated my tires that my cracking has definately gotten worse, but I'll probably get denied again and get the "there not that bad, it's normal" BS. Or maybe just wait till they blow and then go after the big money if it doesn't kill me!!!
BTW anyone in PHX area that has done this let me know where you got it done and MAYBE i'll give it a shot.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:29 PM
DAB

Go to a discount tire store and they know what to do. I had cracking on all 5 tires and was discounted the replacement cost of the tires with BFG TA305/65/17.
Old 06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DAB
Go to a discount tire store and they know what to do. I had cracking on all 5 tires and was discounted the replacement cost of the tires with BFG TA305/65/17.
That was at a dicount tire.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:40 PM

Just got back from having mine replaced.
Mine were cracked from the day I brought it home from the dealer.
Noticed it while checking the tire pressure.

Replaced all 4 100%
Spare was fine ,though gotta do that on my dime.
I wanted to go with LTX A/T 2's but they are on backorder and none are available out west.
I did not want BFGs so they got me Goodyear Silent Armor pro grade
and bumped me up to 285/70-17 for $20 a tire.
I had them put on my Cable Truck grey steel wheels while they were at it.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:36 PM

Ive got 32K on my stock michs and the sidewalls are cracking BADLY, do you think I should take them in? would they even honor it with that many miles on them?
Old 09-13-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by deerefarm06
Ive got 32K on my stock michs and the sidewalls are cracking BADLY, do you think I should take them in? would they even honor it with that many miles on them?

I would go right to the dealer. You might get some free tires, or at least pro-rated. You're gonna need new tires anyway.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:16 PM
HOV

I got mine replaced with BFG A/T KOs, same size. I love those tires.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:35 PM

Mine were replaced 100% on my o6..
Old 09-13-2007, 03:14 PM

I dont get it. Whats going on, 32000 miles and you have cracking? I have 63000 miles on my stock tires and not one crack on any of them.The tires look great and have plenty of thread on them.I do rotate them on a regular basis.And I pull a 14000 pound trailer rv often.also I keep them at the proper air inflation.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by deerefarm06
Sure take it in. Mine had 32k and I got pro-rated. Michelin has a six year warranty and will honor it. Got the new LTX A/T2 and they look great and more aggressive than the stock tires. Got them for $385 including mounting and balancing at Sears. The tires took a week to get to my local Sears. No more road noise than stock tires either.

Quick Reply: Michelin waranted sidewall cracking...