3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mexico road trip. What would you take?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And only a fool would buy any land or homes down there. They can just show up and claim they own it and you will be booted out, WITH NO REFUND. Their entire court system is a sham. There are lots of folks here who bought "condos" and other places and LOST EVERYTHING with no recourse. If you think the Mexican government is going to back up an American you better get a reality check. You are largely looked upon as an enemy and a sucker.

It's not this way everywhere, and many of the people are nice, but there's enough of it where you better really do your research and figure out what you're getting into.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:59 AM

stay away from Mexico
Old 03-15-2009, 11:10 AM

Well most people that want to go to Mexico is usually for a short trip, so they don't have the convenience of being there 12 months a year and knowing when to drive and where to go to be safe. The travel advisory is still in effect: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p...a/pa_3028.html
Old 03-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Hey guys,
Been back for a little more than a month.
No problems whatsoever.
We ate at all sorts of places, street vendors to reasonably high class joints.
Never sick with food related issues.
As far as riding a bike in Mexico, in the cities a bike is the only way to go. As long as you go with the flow. If you try and drive like you do at home, you're sunk.
We encountered a large number of Police and Military.
And without fault they were professional, courteous and exceptionally helpful. In fact, while on the side of the road enacting some repairs, a car full of Federales pulled up and within a minute we were all talking, laughing and they offered to help but my bike in the truck.
I would rather deal with Mexican Police than Calgary Police.

All of the military guys we met were the same way.
To me, not being able to arm myself is a way of life. I'm Canadian, we don't carry guns as a rule. So that's something that doesn't even enter my mind.

Every one we met was fantastic. Was I approached by guys selling drugs? Yes I was. Was I hassled? No, because when they asked me I told them I was straight and they would laugh and tell me I was crazy and walk away.

There WAS one guy who while driving, gave us the finger.

He had an Alberta plate on his car.

I'll keep going back to Mexico for as long as I can and if I could, I'd move there tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Received 172 Likes on 130 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
I have lived deep in Mexico, the real Mexico, since 2000 and never intend to leave. I said the real Mexico because the border cities are not a reflection of the real Mexico and I stay away from them.
My house does not have a big protective wall around it and at least 50% of the time I even forget to lock the front door, that's how safe I feel here.
If anybody wants to come to Mexico for a holiday or to live, PM me.
LOL, I spent a BUNCH of time in Moneterrey back in the 90's.

Hoo boy would I love to come live down there. Without a doubt the friendliest, most courteous people, heck I walked around a ton of the downtown way past midnight, and I gotta say, I was more worried about the cops than the people, especially around May5......they would get a bit tipsy.

Stan, you need a good Mechanical Engineer? I might need to Emigrate soon.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:41 AM

You will love Mexico beautiful contry and great people, always remember you are visiting a foriegn contry and be respectful and you will be fine.
You should bring fuel treatment Mexico's fuel and beer quality control is very poor, the beer quality has gotten better since the import into the states has increased.
Bring plenty of drinking water also the gulf side of Baja can get very hot. The coast side is cooler and has alot of scenery.
I do miss going South alot of good times.
Have fun