3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mexico road trip. What would you take?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Apache1
I live on the border.

I wouldn't go into Mexico under ANY circumstances.
I'm with you. I've lived near the border almost my entire life, I'm part Mexican, I speak Spanish, and I will no longer go down there. Too big a gamble. The whole government down there is getting ready to collapse because of pressure from the drug runners. The violence is mind boggling. Beheadings, torture, gangs, drug smugglers, and then........the crooked cops who are supposed to be "protecting" everyone. They can throw you in jail for one empty ammo casing, or they can just make something up. Most Mexican people are good folks, but they allow all this corruption and violence because they won't stand up to the bullies. If you think for one second that they won't turn on the "gringo" when the poop hits the fan, you are deceiving yourself.

Glad you made it back safe, but I will never expose my family to what's going on down there right now. I used to go all the time, not anymore. FWIW
Old 02-11-2009, 08:21 AM

must admit i have not read all of the previous posts but will tell you this. i live in san diego, california and if i do go to tijuana i am out well before dark and stay to the beaten path. not sure you get all the reports of the crime going on but it is bad and does not discriminate between native or people from up north.

think twice prior to going and if possible go in numbers.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:50 AM

If I told people what is happening down here they wouldn't believe me.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:54 AM

If I tell people that most of the drug problems we have here are due to the U.S.'s demand for drugs they wouldn't believe me.
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by txfiremedic
I'd def. take a spare fuel filter or 2, serpentine belt, maybe a 5 gal spare diesel can, and a spanish translator!! Good luck and have fun!
They probally speak Engish down there!
Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by az0091
If I tell people that most of the drug problems we have here are due to the U.S.'s demand for drugs they wouldn't believe me.
Mexico is corrupt to the core, and all the corruption is starting to take a very heavy toll. Blaming the U.S. for all its problems will not do one bit of good. Exporting illegal aliens into the U.S. by the millions will not fix anything either. Mexico has to completely reform its government and fix the corruption to have any chance of succeeding long term.

The violence in Mexico right now is horrific. I know what's going on down there, and it is ugly. The wild west shootouts with automatic weapons where innocent folks get killed in the crossfire, the beheadings of police officers, the torture of rival drug smugglers, "ringing" - where they put a tire around someone's neck and light it on fire to watch them burn alive, and on and on.

Blame it on whoever you want, but to say it's a paradise down there where anyone can go and have a great time in relative safety is incorrect.
Old 02-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Read this to get a little glimpse of the violence. It's even worse than this, but this gives you an idea:

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...ence11-ON.html
Old 02-11-2009, 02:23 PM

Bullet proof vests for the whole family!
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 PM

i live in mexico, been here over 5 years...dont get mapfre-tepyac insurance they dont pay out claims, try to get yourself a fake but realistic police id...it goes a long way with the cops...most give you a break. always protect your valuables. dont leave your vehicle with important things in it if you cant see it. they will rob you blind...eat at popular well established restaraunts...these people have iron stomachs and can handle bacteria that we cannot. i just got over a case of disentary, lost 18lbs...very unpleasant experience. had to spend a day in hospital in tucson. dont let this scare you, just use good judgement. dont buy food or seafood from street sellers or vendors... they will never throw food away when it spoils...just try to sell it to someone unsuspecting. i dont recomend the motorcycle in mexico...these people are the worst drivers in the world. ive apologized to the chinese in new york that ive accused of being horrible drivers...there is no education here...just get a car and drive...no plates few vehicles with brake lights and just about all of em drive at night with their brites on, and wont dim them...leave the bike in storage in usa, then do your riding there, pick it up on your way north. good luck...e mail me for more info kokothepest@yahoo.com
Old 03-14-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Mexico.

Originally Posted by az0091
That's an excellent point,but the demand's been steady forever. The violence,however,has risen disproportionately. It seemed to start with the apprehension of the Arrelano's. They seemed to leave the tourist and common resident alone as long as the drugs got to where they were intended(here). Since their incarceration,a power play has been in force,with each side trying to one up the other in treachery. I've got 200+ trips under my belt and a lot on the beach at Punta San Telmo south of Cabo Colonet and rarely go anymore. Sucks. If you use drugs,stop. Have a beer and leave it that. Works for me.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM

I'll second what Halibrand stated in his post. I've been to Mexico on several occasions and two extended stays. Back then, I didn't think twice. The world was a different place then. I personally would not do that kind of trip without a fluent spanish speaking person (preferably Mexican). Tell you the truth, I would not go that deep into Mexico PERIOD. If I read your post right, it is you and two females. Your taking them to a country that had at least 5000 unsolved murders last year and are well over 1000 unsolved so far this year. Your taking your girls to a country that is notorious for kidnapping and ransoms, so many in fact that the wealthy mexicans who can are abandoning there homes and heading to America for safety. You are taking them to a country that does not allow you to arm yourself for your protection, and where the outlaws are armed to the teeth and the mexican government cannot do anything about. In America, they have been warning the College kids about heading down for spring break due to the current power struggle between the various drug cartels and the Mexican government. You would also be heading into a country where even the honest law enforcement and military officials are not safe when travelling in small groups of ten.
I know first hand that Mexico has some awesome sites, great food, and interesting history and culture but you should really acknowledge the worst case scenario and understand that what is meant to be an awesome experiential holiday has serious and real potential to be the very worst nightmare anyone has ever imagined.

As an alternative, The American Southwest has plenty of sites, great food, history and culture without risking the safety of your loved ones.

What ever you decide, good luck. Do your research and exercise cautious judgement.

Sincerely,

Brian J Stephens
Old 03-14-2009, 05:54 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Just read this thread for the first time. Interesting comments and advice. Most I agree with.
I have lived deep in Mexico, the real Mexico, since 2000 and never intend to leave. I said the real Mexico because the border cities are not a reflection of the real Mexico and I stay away from them. Sure, Mexico is not a perfect country, but then again, tell me what country is perfect.
I drive at night at least 6 days a week, but know what to do and what not to do. Even did one all night 550 mile trip.
My house does not have a big protective wall around it and at least 50% of the time I even forget to lock the front door, that's how safe I feel here.
If anybody wants to come to Mexico for a holiday or to live, PM me.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:06 PM

Thumbs down Mexico

Have you not watched the News, on not traveling to Mexico!
Old 03-15-2009, 07:33 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 172 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Suplanski
Have you not watched the News, on not traveling to Mexico!
...and if you read the news you will read the the American government has changed their warnings to only certain areas and activities, specifically known areas of drug dealers and prostitution.
Don't forget, I live in Mexico 12 months a year and have done so for years, so should know if there are problems. I am not leaving Paradise.
Also, perhaps many of you did not know, that in central Mexico there is a community that as far as I know, has the largest contingency of retired Americans and Canadians in the world. Do you think that they are dummies and don't know anything? They CHOOSE to live there for good reasons.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 AM

Ive been hearing reports on the radio of huge gunfights and killings in drug wars lately. I'd be very careful.
Also, think twice when some one offers help or seems too friendly, usually a scam of some sort. Or if some one needs help and they ask you to help them.
Seen it happen.
Like others said, keep cash in different places. Keep your passport SAFE.

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Mexico road trip. What would you take?