3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mexico road trip. What would you take?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico road trip. What would you take?

Hello,
Not sure if this is in the right spot, if not, 1000 apology's.

So here's the plan. The Girlfriend, her daughter and I are going to do a Mexico Road trip. Should cover about 6000 miles in 6 weeks.
Going from Calgary,Alberta to Veracruz Mexico, across to Acapulco then north to Puerto Vallarta and north still through the Baja and then LA, Vegas and home.

So the question is, what would you do to prep your truck, what spares would you take and any thoughts as far as vehicle security?

Any and all suggestions are welcome and thanks in advance.
Shawn

Oh, and did I mention it was her idea that I put my motorcycle in the truck and ride as much as possible while in Mexico?
Sorry, just had to add that!
Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM

No advice, but what a cool trip. Be careful!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is a long road trip. You will no doubt drive through some potentially dangerous Mexican areas. I hope you plan out the trip very closely and know all of the roads and local conditions before you leave. Sounds like a fun trip, but by vehicle that deep into and through Mexico could be a challenge.

Good luck and hope you have a blast.

Take every spare thing that is resonable. Serpentine belt, oil, fluids, etc. Don't expect to be able to find what you need at the next station.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:28 PM

Money for bribes....
Check out RV Net Forums. They have a section on traveling South of the Our border...
Ceck the RV section of thei forum too.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Sounds like fun!! I'd def. take a spare fuel filter or 2, serpentine belt, maybe a 5 gal spare diesel can, and a spanish translator!! Good luck and have fun!
Old 11-18-2008, 07:33 PM

Ahh...

You'll need Mexican car Insurance, since your current car insurance will most likely not cover Mexico. Also, Be careful as the Federalies like to mess with out of country vehicles, and they are horribly corrupt. You may be paying your way out of a few jams in order not to be thrown in Jail. Vehicle Security, such as a Ravelco would be a must plus a normal alarm system that detects glass breakage. Just have to stay extra alert, make sure to park in safe locations...
Old 11-18-2008, 08:02 PM

Have some cash on the dash when you get pulled over.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:04 PM

Don't forget to change the oil and check the spare before you leave.
As others have said make sure to carry money to get yourself out of a jam.
I've heard of having to pay someone to gaurd your vehicle or it won't be in one piece when you get back.
Also keep an eye on the girlfriend and daughter,who knows what could happen if you get too far from them. I'm sure you'll be ok but you can't be too careful on trips like you're planning.
It sounds like it'll be fun,let us know how it was when you return,good luck!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:13 PM

Since you asked what I'd take...

Bail Money

Be Careful!
Old 11-18-2008, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by hivoltage
I've heard of having to pay someone to gaurd your vehicle or it won't be in one piece when you get back.
!
Don't pay them all the money and leave. Pay them a little and let them know that they will get more money when you return.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Bring some pepper spray for security. I don't think you'll need to mention this to the Feds down there. A "Club" steering wheel lock is permitted. That might be needed. Get your insurance online at www.discoverbaja.com. They're based here in San Diego and are a great company. It'll include towing and legal assistance. Extra air evac is available for a nominal charge. Split up your money and hide it in diffferent places. Definitely use this company and avoid the border kiosks.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:31 PM

Fair warning, if stopped - DO NOT try to bribe the Federales. It will INFURIATE them, and they might try to arrest you for it. Federales are the state police, it is La Policia Municipal (Local Cops) that are the heathons. Biggest cuplrits are Tijuana and Ensenada police. They will take anywhere from $25-$75 to be let go. Yeah, some cops have been brazen enough to demand you go to an ATM and pull out $300. If that happens, tell them you will drive to their station first. Last three times to Mexico, my friends and I have paid over $200 in "fines". And thats a good point- if they want to take you to the station or write you a ticket, just tell them you want to "pay the fine right here, right now". Thats pretty much code for "bribe".

Here's some tips for driving through Mexico:

1: Get Mexican Insurance. There are several on the border in San Diego that are about $25 a day. "One Stop" Insurance has been good to us, just make sure you get your registration back (they sometimes forget to give it back at the window).
2: ROLL DOWN ALL YOUR WINDOWS while in Tijuana and Ensenada. They have "no window tint" laws and you can be pulled over if you have any tint. This keeps them off your back.
3: Stay on the Cuota roads (toll roads), like Highway 1. The Libre roads (free roads) are where the punks like to pull their shenanigans.
4: Observe all posted speed limits, and stop at all stop signs (ALTO). FYI, when the traffic lights change, the green will flash 3 times, then go to yellow, then red.
5: You will come across several military checkpoints. When they talk to you, ask them if they speak english (this is phonetic in case you didnt take High school spanish - "Ah-blah Inglace?") They are almost always very friendly and eager for handouts, they LOVE racing stickers and Monster/RockStar energy drinks. Try to carry some as a "thank you", not a bribe. The military is there for your protection and won't give you any crap.
4: Do not drive at night. I cannot emphasize this enough. Even locals refrain from driving at night on the highways and deserted roads.
5: Check Mexican weapons laws, DO NOT bring any ammo or guns into mexico. Knives are pretty sketchy too, your asking for trouble if you carry a pocket knife, so Id keep knives with the camping stuff or CLEVERLY hidden in the cab somewhere where you can reach it if needed.
6: Hide money in different places. I put no more than $45 dollars in my wallet. I keep more under the rubber in the center console, in the owners manual in the glove box, and more in my socks.
7: Hide your ipods, radios, headphones, laptops when pulled over or just plain parked. Dont give them a reason.

As for expedition stuff, Id for sure take this stuff:
-Extra fuel filters, air cleaners, serpentine belt.
-Ratchet straps, zip ties, HOSE CLAMPS (various sizes), duct tape.
-Several quarts of ATF, Oil, Gear Oil, and Coolant.
-ARB tire repair kit (Llanteras, or tire shops, can patch tires pretty cheaply and weld busted exhausts).
-Fuses, extra wire of various gauges,
-Tools, both metric and SAE.
-Try to carry 2 spare tires.

And if you plan on going offroad, I HIGHLY recommend you look into getting a Lowrance GPS system. You can upload the Baja 100 race courses and you can follow the trails precisely to just about any where in Baja.

Good luck and be safe!
Old 11-18-2008, 10:29 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I've spent a little time in Mexico. On my boat, on a dirt bike trip and on road/camping trips in my car and in my truck.

I have NEVER felt threatened in any way there. It has always been a lot of fun.

Be sure to take a map that shows the locations of the PEMEX stations. But don't count on them being open or having fuel at the time you arrive. I have purchased fuel from guys sitting in a pickup in the closed stations and some of the stations might have been closed for months. On the dirt bike I bought gas in one gallon milk bottles from an old woman in a little shack. One town had no diesel except at the fire station. My buddy got some diesel from a tank truck. I got it for my boat from cans that were brought out in a dink. Be flexible and not afraid to do things differently than in the States!

Expect to be stopped at road blocks. It's no problem, they're just looking for drugs or weapons. They'll just ask where you are headed, so know the name of the place you are headed to that night and tell them in Spanish. They'll respond with "proceed". If someone wants to look inside your camper just say "si" and open it up to invite them in. They'll likely be embarrassed and only do the most limited check. I gave away a few CDs while I was there, but I have mixed feelings about giving gifts to the military guys. I don't want it to turn into an expected thing.

Learn a little basic Spanish before you go and it will really help.

Most of the posts so far have talked about fear, bribes and corruption. Forget all that! Have a good time and realize you are in a different culture. The Mexican people are friendly, proud, sincere and very capable of getting by with very little. Things you might see here will mean something completely different there. Go with the flow and see things through their eyes.

All auto parts are available there. It might not be as easy to get them, but they are there. If something major happens you can take a bus to the next town to get what you want.

Don't get caught with a gun!

Drink beer and bottled water. Or get your water at a marina with a purification system.

There has been a long standing notion that you should not drive at night because of bandits. The Mexicans think this is funny, or sad. You don't drive at night because of open range animals that spend the night on the road. And if you camp out at night you will be amazed at how quiet and beautiful it is.

Did I mention have fun? Why else would you be going? Expect to learn a lot, see a lot, make some great memories and make a few friends.
Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 PM

And Halibrand has it right, mostly when we were pulled over it was by the local police. However, I have had a few Federales pull us over and pull the same stunt. I always reported it when I got back to the States (Military req't for the base). However, nothing ever was done.

Some great advice here, but make sure you are prepared is the general theme.

And when they bring you bottled beer, try and make sure the leave the top on it until they bring it to you table. I saw them refilling bottles in the back once without washing the bottles. And bottled water is a must. You will want to take contact information for your embassy if something goes bad.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:44 PM

Wow!
Thanks everybody!
I'd like to think I have the logistics of the border crossing and road conditions covered. We have been planning the trip for a few months and I've been doing tons of research regarding all that.
So far my list of things to take looks a bit like this:
Tools; both for truck and Bike. Mostly for bike!
Parts: Oil, Atf, Power steering fluid, Serpentine belt, fuel filters (2 or 3), oil filters.
I'm used to driving really decrepit vehicles far distances so I have a good road ready tool box that has duct tape, mechanics wire, etc.
I'll try to grab a second spare before I leave. There's a truck wrecking yard near my house I'm sure I can grab a mounted spare.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
I'll try and post some pictures from the road, if not for sure when I get home.
I think the hardest thing will be saving enough money to buy wheels and tires
when I'm heading home through the states!

Quick Reply: Mexico road trip. What would you take?