3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Mega Cab Trucks...

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 07:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back when i was in the market for a full size pick-up, I test drove everything out there ('cept the jap stuff). I even drove the Lincoln Mark LT

I spent nearly a month comparing trucks, as I wanted to be fair. But truthfull, I've always owned and loved GM products, so I was kinda heading that way towards a GMC Sierra Duramax with the thumb-shift 6 speed Allison automatic. But then, I drove the CTD Megacab and there was just no comparison between it and ANY other full size pickup on the market, regardless of brand. If interior space is more important to you than exterior bed dimensions, then this is your truck.

The Megacab bodystyle takes some getting used to, and it's clearly not loved by everybody. At stock ride height, they can look kinda long and out of proportion. But lifted, they look and ride SWEET And lifted Dually's are even more of a stand out. The long wheelbase will be appreciated during any long trips in the truck, really smooths out the road imperfections felt in a shorter wheelbase truck. Premium tires help this even further.

My previous truck was a GMC gasser which was 5 spd manual, so when i bought my Megacab, I went with the automatic just to have something different than what I'd been driving for the last 14 years. Now, I kinda wish I'd bought a manual, as the 48RE is showing its limitations and annoyances already.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:57 AM

The short box turned me off enough not to buy one. Without the full 8' box, it's nothing more than a very large car. I don't like my R48E either, I'd have rather had the G56, but found a short term lease return at a great price, so that's what I got.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:40 AM

I don't think because it doesn't have an 8 foot bad you can call it a car.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:48 AM

The bed size hasn't stopped me from hauling anything. I can still get 8ft sheets of plywood or lumber in the bed without any trouble. I just don't do it as much as I used to.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM

It all depends what a person needs to haul and where they live. I don't relish the thought of hauling very expensive things with the tailgate down over hundreds of miles of gravel roads. Nope, a short box to me is absolutely useless. And i didn't buy a truck to have to turn around and buy a trailer to haul things that the truck should be able to haul by itself.

To each his own though, if a peson has no particular need for the long box, so be it. I just wish it was still an option.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:07 AM
tcr

Guys the MC is the best thing Dodge ever did, and a long bed version is just a bit better IMO. I drove a MC for 4-5 days, but I just couldn't stand the new slush box and lack of power in the chipless 6.7L. I will own an 06-07 5.9 MC someday soon(when kids are big enough to need one), they are awesome! As far as the 48RE, I would much rather have a 48RE w/ a TC/VB than a stock 68RFEGLPF whatever it is.....of course, my opinion might change when I drive a modded 68, if they can get them to quit shifting all over the place.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is why!
Best deal I could get on a Mega 2 yrs ago was $40k for a new Laramie.
With the cr@ppy fuel prices, I picked up this '07, last of the 5.9's, 6sp, 10k miles, with about $5k in extras for $30k. Not a bad price I think for the baddest truck out there!
Attached Thumbnails Mega Cab Trucks...-dsc00096.jpg  
Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 PM

When they came out, my wife saw one at a car show. When we were leaving the show, she recommended that I go to the dealer and get one in black.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:16 AM

TCR, Have you lost your mind?? The 68RE is so much better than the 48RE. It actually shifts when it is supposed to rather than too soon or too late like so many of the 4 speed autos have done behind these diesels. The 6.7 makes lots of power stock too. It may not compare to a modded 5.9 but compared to a stock one the 6.7 wins.
And I can fit plywood in my bed without letting the tailgate down. So it sticks out some. Big deal..... If Dodge offered it with a long bed I would have gotten that though.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
TCR, Have you lost your mind?? The 68RE is so much better than the 48RE. It actually shifts when it is supposed to rather than too soon or too late like so many of the 4 speed autos have done behind these diesels. The 6.7 makes lots of power stock too. It may not compare to a modded 5.9 but compared to a stock one the 6.7 wins.
Agree. I've owned both the 5.9L w/4 speed auto and now 6.7L w/6 speed auto. The new engine/tranny combo is smoother and more powerful. The integrated exhaust brake is just icing on the cake.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We got ours for the room. It's nice not having a kid kick the back of my seat anymore. I wanted a man but the wife wanted an auto. <- Mama aint happy aint nobody happy, so we ended up with an auto. I do have to admit at first I hated it with a passion. I've grown used to it now and might even be starting to like it.
Old 06-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95ram
We got ours for the room. It's nice not having a kid kick the back of my seat anymore. I wanted a man but the wife wanted an auto. <- Mama aint happy aint nobody happy, so we ended up with an auto. I do have to admit at first I hated it with a passion. I've grown used to it now and might even be starting to like it.
in your post and sig it sounds like you need some bigger kahona's. It's not a mega wo-man van, it's a mega man van !
Old 06-13-2008, 04:18 AM

Mine is the Mega-Pimp-Van
Old 06-13-2008, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by FlaCracker
(1) I like the looks, style, and cab space.
(2) Auto, do not like shifting. Too-much work and hassle with stop-n-go traveling with a manual tranny.
(3) I like the auto because you do not have too worry about shifting and is fine for most hauling.

Never regretted getting an auto, works best for me.
Same Here!!
Old 06-13-2008, 06:50 PM

I Had An 03 Qc, My Buddy Met Us In Vegas In A Mega Cab, That Was All I Needed. I Got The Manual, Love It! I Haven't Found Anything Wrong Yet... It's A Bi#&h To Park.

Quick Reply: Mega Cab Trucks...