3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

mega cab long bed to canada?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no doubt that you did. Somehow your truck made it through the world of microchips and they don't get the big message on their screen.

Now enjoy that fact and be happy with it. 99.99 % of others out there get their warranties void when importing.

Don't mention it too loudly the next time at the dealer. In fact don't mention it at all - you may have some service advisors naive to the to the issue - mentioning anything could get them checking into it further.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Death Dealer
I was upfront and honest with them. I told them I bought the truck from the US, and why I bought it from the US. I'm not one to hide anything.
I was up front with everyone too. US dealer was the one that said I needed a US address. Other then that its kind of hard to see where one 'could be' dishonest with all the paperwork. Good on you that you got your warranty.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:49 PM

The big picture is I bought this truck to AVOID warranty. If I had bought a Ford, I'd be real worried about warranty, but I bought a truck with a Cummins, so I'm smiling.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:31 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dodgediesel
Do American dealerships void warranty if a vehicle is bought in Canada and then taken to the US? I can't believe they will void your warranty!! Your still buying the vehicle from Chrysler whether you paying for it here or in the US. Very stupid policy!!! What if you buy a used one with warranty still left on it, is it void if you bring it to Canada? Sorry about the Rant but it's BS!!!

Vehicle manufactures have always artificially inflated prices for vehicles into Canada, even if they are manufactured in Canada. The Warranty void is the way that they keep you buying their expensive versions in Canada. Not a very nice thing to do. A little bit more is understandable as things do generally cost more up here, but $10k+ on the same vehicle
Old 12-31-2007, 06:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kantdrive55
Vehicle manufactures have always artificially inflated prices for vehicles into Canada, even if they are manufactured in Canada. The Warranty void is the way that they keep you buying their expensive versions in Canada. Not a very nice thing to do. A little bit more is understandable as things do generally cost more up here, but $10k+ on the same vehicle
yes, their reason a few years ago was cuz of the exchange rates, which is understandable ... that's what our manipulated "free market" is all about ... good and bad. When I bought my truck, after the exchange rate was figured in, the price was pretty close comparitivlely. Anyhow, now that the currencies are basically on par they have no real excuse for ripping us off but they see the money that can be had and greed rules in the corporate world. People just have to stand up and tell them to shove it ... hold off or buy it in the US ... only then will they listen. If all we do is whine then buy it here anyway nothing will ever change.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:10 PM

I saw it on the news awhile back....can't remember what station it was.

Anyway, when vehicle manufacturers were asked why Canadian products were so much more here, they replied with "because they're used to paying more".

I wanted to jump through the screen.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:04 PM

i also watched a show on why things were more money in canada and they said our employees are paid more and our cost of living is more so things cost more to be in relation.i would get a print out from a us dealers add and see if the canadian dealer could match it,i wouldnt risk buying south just to fight and battle in canada when the truck breaks down.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally Posted by Festus
I saw it on the news awhile back....can't remember what station it was.

Anyway, when vehicle manufacturers were asked why Canadian products were so much more here, they replied with "because they're used to paying more".

I wanted to jump through the screen.
That was once a given for our passive nation... Not no more now that everything is or has moved towards a global market. The big manufacturers just do not like the idea that some of us and more and more of us all the time are a lot smarter then they figured on. I can live without a warranty. I remember a few years ago on this site I posted that if I could buy a Ram without a warranty...and save several thousand...I would...well look what happened.
Its all my fault.

Cheers.

HapPY New YEar

sKoTty
Old 12-31-2007, 10:03 PM

Yep. I look at it that $15K is alot of warranty. Especially when my cousin-in-law has his own shop now and used to be a diesel tech. at a Dodge dealer here in the city. Besides, I can't get my truck into the dealer for an oil change in a reasonable time frame, never mind actual warranty work.

If I would have had the time to go down and pick one up, I would have. Unfortunately, I unexpectedly sold my '98 last October and was left without wheels with only a couple days off a month from work - no time to go down South with the 72 hr thing. I am happy that I did get a smokin' deal up here in comparison. Next time however....................it will be different. Even if I have to book holidays to do it.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by duallydave
i also watched a show on why things were more money in canada and they said our employees are paid more and our cost of living is more so things cost more to be in relation.
haha, exactly ... once one reason doesn't fit anymore just make up some more ... many people will accept it ... do doo do doo do doo ... yes sir Who cares! What does that have to do with Dodges profit margin on a truck built in Mexico (also NAFTA)? We're not talking $800 here ... more like $12-15, 000.00 !! No way man. I call bull....!

Originally Posted by duallydave
i would get a print out from a us dealers add and see if the canadian dealer could match it,i wouldnt risk buying south just to fight and battle in canada when the truck breaks down.
Dealers here CANNOT compete with US dealers. I got my truck for dealer cost and paid 30% more than the same truck in the US. Like I said at the time the exchange rate was around 70 cents so it was understandable. ... even acceptable. The problem is not the Canadian dealers marking the price up ... it's the price Dodge is forcing them to pay ... PERIOD. And like being discussed here ... $15,000.00 buys alot of warranty. Some people will just pay whatever they are asked ... it appears that's part of the problem in this country by some of the comments we hear. But I see changes coming cuz many are starting to fight back and I'm one of them. If trucks (and everything else) stop selling here they'll soon begin to play fair. And like MANY, I will NOT pay 30% more just cuz "I'm used to it".
Old 12-31-2007, 10:31 PM

I have a 06 Dodge that originally came from the states. I was also told by a couple of dealers here in Canada that I do not have any warranty. On page 7 of the Dodge Ram 2006 Warranty Information book it states "The Basic Limited Warranty covers your truck only if: - it's registered in the U.S." And on page 8 it states in big letters:
"EXCEPT WHERE SPECIFICALLY REQUIRED BY LAW, THERE IS NO WARRANTY COVERAGE ON THIS TRUCK IF IT IS SOLD IN OR REGISTERED IN COUNTRIES OTHER THAN THE UNITED STATES.
This policy does not apply to trucks that have received authorization for export from Daimler Chrysler. Dealers may not give authorization for export."
Old 12-31-2007, 10:34 PM

Also consider Canada is a small market for these trucks. A drop in the bucket compared to how many they sell down here. Which means you're gonna pay more up there regardless. But with both currencies on par to pay $15,000 more? As long as most continue to willingly pay that much more the price will never drop. Like some of you say $15,000 in savings will cover a lot of warranty for most people. As more and more come to that realization choosing to buy down south instead maybe there's a downwards price correction somewhere in the future and you can get your warranties back..
Old 01-01-2008, 01:47 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I am not one to talk about higher prices on our side of the border, nor am I one to talk about voided warranties if the vehicle crosses the border. What I will say, very simply, is this.

Having purchased 1 new dodge vehicle in canada, in 2001. Due to the " warranty Service " that I was unable to get, because I did NOT purchase the truck from our local 5 star dealer. I will not buy another new Dodge product, in our country, the US, or anywhere else for that matter.

Getting warranty service on these things is not a problem confined to the cross-border shopping market, it is also a rampant problem between dealers who have the " you didn't buy it here, so don't expect us to work on it" attitude.

Like Scotty. I would sooner save the several thousand on a new truck, and roll the dice on repairs, than pay several thousand dollars extra for a " warranty " that isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Enough on that rant.

If you are willing to take the chance on mama chrysler's non-warrantable warranty, and buy stateside to get a better deal, I encourage you to do it. Help send the message that No, these vehicles are NOT worth more in Canada, whether the market is not as big, or any one of many other factors.

Good luck with any vehicles you choose to buy, no matter where you buy them, and good luck with after sales service as well.

Happy New year too
Old 01-01-2008, 10:02 AM

thanks again for all the posts and the more i look and think about it i'd rather save 10 or 15 buying stateside then pay for a warenty that may not get used, like so many have said before 10-15k can pay for a lot of work, and being a cummins its likely not going to need a pile of work. those are just my thoughts, i know the 5.9 has a stout reputation though i'd be looking at the 6.7l and some people are saying its good or bad, either way i'd rather save a pile of cash than pay more than i need to
Old 01-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Top's Younger Twin

I also look at this site as a vast resource if one ever needs to get something repaired that 'may' have been covered under warranty. The Fords all have warranty. Wonder why they do and Dodge does not? Ford wants to sell trucks to help keep their head above water [if that is still possible] and Dodge wants to void the warranties to save money and help keep their head above water [if that is possible]. Toyota and others must me poised to make a move on this market in North America because as we all know, none of the big three are in any kind of shape right now. Also, I think it was on Allpar, the new owners of Dodge plan to drop 8 models and shut down a bunch of dealerships. I feel bad for the dealers in Canada as they are not getting a fair deal either. Even with this so called strong Canadian dollar price adjustment...theres still 12-15K in savings going south on the diesel trucks! OH well. Time to go ALTER what I want on this truck.

Scotty
I am my own warranty station....and I have had that attitude for many years.

Quick Reply: mega cab long bed to canada?