3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

mega cab long bed to canada?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mopard
you should be able to buy some kind of warranty from Dodge? ... for that kind of money I'll be looking into it next time. If they don't get their pricing in line by the time I get my next truck I'll be buying from the US warranty or not. Hate to buy a Ford but if they are they the only ones that play fair then I may look at least.
thats were my thoughts are exactly...... have to keep a supply of paper bags in the glove box to put over my head in case anyone sees me driving a ford....lol. Its amazing how pride over comes price sometimes........
Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 PM

15K is a lot of warranty.

What I don't understand is why can't you just run it back down to the US border to a dealership to get it fixed....
Old 12-30-2007, 04:39 PM

that would suck,if it had a fuel issue and needed to be towed,which some have,that would be a pricey adventure,depending on where he lives the border may be a long way off, for me it would be about a 8 hour drive to the nearest major us city,if a mega is what you need for people hauling than get one and be happy as is,if you need to haul stuff and not people in the back all the time a l/box quad is the way to go
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM

So... you can't get a Mega in canada?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:59 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Theres no warranty in the USA either once it gets imported to Canada. I found out when I took my truck in for the recall at the dealer I bought it at in the USA.
There it was in big red print WARRANTY VOID VEHICLE EXPORTED across the screen
I did what the dealer said was working and that was to have a USA address.
They caught onto that one.
As for a mega cab in Canada...I priced what I wanted and even after getting the frame stretched to a long bed mega cab, I still saved $13,000.00 compared to the cost of one up here without the stretch.
As mentioned...thats a lot of warranty. I knew I stood the chance of losing the warranty when I did this.
As far as needing to get towed...I haul for a living and theres 53 of us in the same company. I have rescued a couple of guys and I know they would do the same.

Scotty
Old 12-30-2007, 07:40 PM

to answer another question, you will not loose the warranty just because you had the longbed conversion. I have checked into this with Chrysler. As far as the border issue, most likely out of luck there.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Banned

I guess the way I'd look at it next time ... if the dealer here offered to knock off 15K off my next truck if I was willing to give up the warranty than I'd be all over it. So what's the difference? Just too much money for a warranty. The resale on it alone will be a good investment ... when it's a few years old and the warranty would have expired anyhow you'll still get the same price that a truck bought up here would fetch. With the CTD you'll nearly be able to sell it used after 3 yrs for what you paid for it ... not a bad deal.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by menzy
Watch out buying a new truck in the States if you live in Canada, Dodge voids the warranty at the border........ but for some reason the same truck in the USA seems to be like 15000 cheaper - give or take - you can buy alot of parts and pay for alot of labour for that kind of money. The dealerships are driving me down there to that market for my next truck......... thats another story tho.........
Bull ****. My truck came from Colorado, and has full warranty here in Saskatchewan. Don't spread rumors.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:58 AM

thanks for the post death dealer, thats interesting hearing, all the other stories, i haven't bought my truck yet so thats good to know
Old 12-31-2007, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by Death Dealer
Bull ****. My truck came from Colorado, and has full warranty here in Saskatchewan. Don't spread rumors.
I am suspicious as to how considering all my inquiries, everyone else's, along with posted first hand experiences .

What are you doing different? Move from Colorado to Sask.? Have a US address?
Old 12-31-2007, 07:20 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Aren't you lucky and outspoken. How is it a rumor if it states it right on the screens of Chrysler when we put my vin in the system? I never looked into used trucks myself but the folks at Crestview got stuck with a couple of used trades that came up from the USA...they too had the VOID WARRANTY. Count your blessings.
Old 12-31-2007, 10:24 AM

Sorry for spreading rumors but it was the SERVICE department in Estevan AN D the SERVICE department from Crestview Chrysler in Regina spreading those rumours to me AND the vechile import company that the government of Saskatchewan refers you to in order to set up the import into the province from the USA. The initals of the company escape me right now, RIV is it?????

Sorry I should have reseached it before I posted it...........

If you have a way around it please do tell............

Oh and by the way I called into Ontario to Chrysler to inquire about it as well, got the same answer. But that was a year ago, things may have changed.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:11 PM

To be honest I think it is the dealerships that are lieing and spreading the rumors. I guarantee there are dealerships out there denying people warranty just for spite. I saved well over $15 000 by going to the States. How could I even consider buying from Canada?
I don't have a US address and I didn't move from Colorado. I went to the Dodge dealership in Yorkton to get my Day Time Running Lights enabled, and they printed of the VIP report for the truck which shows remaining warranty. They said I was good to go until the warranty expired.
This dealership however did have a sign on their desk saying "US vehicles warranty MAY be void in Canada." The sign was to deter customers I am certain of this.
I don't see how Dodge can Void the warranty. We can use the example above. What if I had moved from the States, and needed warranty work? Or what if I am traveling in the States, and I need warranty work? The warranty should be good throughout North America. Mine is, so I am happy.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:26 PM

For the most part, the warranty is good when traveling throughout North America - that's not the issue. Travelers from either country have break downs and get warranty work done out-of-country all the time.

The issue is warranty on imported US market built vehicles and registered in Canada - warranty is void (on 99.9% of them anyway).

Somehow, yours made it through some type of loophole or computer glitch. Good for you! Just make sure that you don't mention it to them.
Old 12-31-2007, 02:47 PM

I was upfront and honest with them. I told them I bought the truck from the US, and why I bought it from the US. I'm not one to hide anything.

Quick Reply: mega cab long bed to canada?