3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

May go back to the Dark Side

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
May go back to the Dark Side

About a year ago, I bought my RAM. Now I'm thinking that I really would be happier w/ a 7.3 PowerStroke (still don't trust the 6.0). Don't get me wrong, the engine & tranny in the RAM are GREAT, but I just don't like the rest of the truck as much. Too many little things going wrong on it, especially for a new truck.

Don't know what my chances will be as I will be looking for a 7.3 (stopped making it halfway in 03), a six speed, single wheel, crew cab, long bed, and low milage (under 50K). Ideally I would find one on a car lot so I could work out a trade.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:13 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's great that you feel comfortable enough with us to come on a public forum and confess your sins like this.

Now.....REPENT!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 08:34 AM

Old 06-10-2005, 08:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How are you going to get a new truck with the 7.3??
Old 06-10-2005, 08:36 AM
OX1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: May go back to the Dark Side

Originally posted by Mark Hodowanec
About a year ago, I bought my RAM. Now I'm thinking that I really would be happier w/ a 7.3 PowerStroke (still don't trust the 6.0). Don't get me wrong, the engine & tranny in the RAM are GREAT, but I just don't like the rest of the truck as much. Too many little things going wrong on it, especially for a new truck.

Don't know what my chances will be as I will be looking for a 7.3 (stopped making it halfway in 03), a six speed, single wheel, crew cab, long bed, and low milage (under 50K). Ideally I would find one on a car lot so I could work out a trade.
What has gone wrong? I'm a ford guy as blue as they come, but I didn't trust the 6.0 either (I know one ford parts guy and another ford tech that said they are doing much better, but there is still enough bad ones that they recommended finding a used 7.3 truck) and the 6.0 milage is still very iffy on them (ford supposedly working on computer fix for bad milage). I could not find a decent shape 7.3 for under $25K in my area (central NJ). I went with dodge due to price ($33,8 for a band new truck), the Cummins rep, and the fact I know several guys who have 25-50K on either a cummins or gas ram with either no problems or very minimal problems.

I only have 400 miles, and I had to have the steering wheel centered (it was off when I drove it with 11 miles) and I feel a wobble (like loose rear end pinion bearings or something) when I take off at anything other than very light throttle. The wobble may just be a normal engine imbalance in the Cummins, I don't know????? I also feel lots of engine or drivetrain vibes @ 80+, but I don't normally drive a fullsize truck @ that speed, so it's not the end of the world for me.

I can say the 05 F250 I drove road much better than the ram, especially now that I've had chance to drive the ram @ higher speeds over choppy highways (it's absolutely horrible on mutiple bumps @ speed), almost inducing a "death wobble" that is very common on my 70's broncos when the track bar bushings are shot. But the 6.0 was so absolutely doggy off the line, I honestly thought it would be a saftey hazard if I had to get out in traffic quick.

Anyway, I hope I don't end up with lots of problems and end up in your boat a year from now, but luckily for me, I only bought this to tow, so it won't see a bunch of milage. I figure it can't break if it's just sitting most of the time. So far I'm loving this truck, cept for the highway ride, but I can fix that much easier than fixing motor problems.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:50 AM

I only have 18,000 miles on mine and have had it for 14 months, but have had ZERO problems. The only thing I dont like about my truck and it may be this way on other brands is the way it handles on wet pavement. It feels like it is on ice, about 6 months ago in East Texas running 70 mph in a light rain I started to the left to pass and went sideways! Talk about Pucker!!! Even during city driving I really have to be careful, I know this is because of the heavy Cummins in the front, and unloaded back and so much torque. I am running 50 psi front and back now, I was running 60 psi when the sideways skid happened. I have the OEM Michelins which I have been told are no good on wet pavesment so that is part of the problem.

But, All in All, I love My Truck!!!!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:14 PM

Why don't you try this.

http://www.fordcummins.com/
Old 06-10-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Mcmopar
same way alot of guys here dump there electronic wonders and get a "new" 12 valve equipped truck......new2you.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by Mcmopar
Uhhh he never said it would be new... He said he's looking for an early 03 with under 50k
Scott
Old 06-11-2005, 10:12 AM

Some people are never happy, too many little problems? Like what, you have to keep putting fuel in the tank
Old 06-21-2005, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by WildBill
Some people are never happy...
Not that I'm never happy, but in 15K miles have had leaking clearance light - fixed twice, cd player replaced, blower motor replaced, engine reflashed twice (and still have a ton of white smoke & a miss on startup). I guess I expected more out of a $35K truck.
Old 06-21-2005, 10:33 PM

Grab you a new 6.0 and find out what real problems are!!!!!!!
Old 06-22-2005, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The wobble may just be a normal engine imbalance in the Cummins

The inline 6 cylinder is one of the most "balanced" engines by it's very nature. The Cummins is an absolute work of art. Period.
Old 06-22-2005, 10:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A number of my friends drive late model Super Duties with the 7.3L. Number one complaint is oil leaks and tranny issues for the runner up.
One had a new CD unit installed and two have fuel gauge sending unit problems. Several had to replace the CPS.
The grass may not be greener on the other side of the fence.

MikeyB
Old 06-26-2005, 11:03 PM

Mark, as you know, all brands have there problems. My father in law has a 2003 F350 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4. It was the last of the 7.3L that you are looking for. In the 2 1/2 years he has owned it, he has had the turbo replaced, the front brakes replaced, and his Limited Slip Differential replaced. He still has an annoying vibration on takeoff that Ford can't figure out. There's been other minor stuff he's done as well.

I've driven his truck, and compared to my truck, it has no power. You can push the petal all the way to the floor and set there watch other cars/trucks pass you by. He can't pass on the highway at all. To pass, he has to let the vehicle in front of him get a good ways off, so that he can floor it and gradually build up speed so that by the time he catches up the the front vehicle, he is going fast enough to pass it. Add to that his gas mileage isn't that great. He averages around 15 mpg, with mostly highway driving. On pure highway, his best has been 17.1 mpg.

Now, I don't want to discredit the 7.3L as it is fine motor. It has proven its worth, and currently seems to be the bar in the Ford world for reliability. You takes your chances with any brand, and when problems start popping up, you'll always wonder if you would be having the same issues had you gone with the other brands. Its human nature. Best of luck with what ever brand you choose. Sorry the RAM isn't working out for you.

Quick Reply: May go back to the Dark Side