3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Making the Plunge...Need Info ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 07:49 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Making the Plunge...Need Info ASAP

Howdy all!! I think I've finally decided to make the plunge into the dark side. ;D Sitting outside my office right now is a brand new 2003 Dodge 3500 SB 2WD with a HO Cummins and 6 speed transmission. I really like the truck and I think I'm getting a decent deal on it and they're offering decent money for my Ford...but I have a few questions.<br><br>First of all...one of the big selling points for my wife is the increased fuel economy. With a 3.73 rear end and the above...running empty...what kind of city/highway mileage can I expect?<br><br>Second...is there anything about these trucks that I need to know before I sign on the dotted line this evening??<br><br>Thanks....
Old 05-13-2003, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Making the Plunge...Need Info ASAP

Is this a late April Fool's joke?!?!?
Old 05-13-2003, 07:56 AM

Does she like the color? Buy it.<br><br>Make sure you can take advantage of any and all incentives. Will they give you a deal on an exhaust brake?<br><br>
Old 05-13-2003, 07:57 AM

Unfortunately, it's no April Fool's joke. I've only been in it long enough to drive home last night from the dealer and then to work this morning....already the smell of diesel fumes are starting to soak into my clothes. ;D

I'm still going back and forth with them on the price...but it's getting down to about where I want it. Haven't asked about a Jake brake. The only thing I DON'T like is that they don't include trailer towing packages on all of their trucks like Ford does. I'd have to get that installed. [undecided]
Old 05-13-2003, 08:01 AM

I've got an HO 2500 with 6-speed, running mostly empty most of the time (though with a tall ARE cap) - I'm in a lot of stop and go traffic and I drive faster than strictly legal most of the time - all the worst possible conditions for mileage, and I'm still getting 13 - 15 mpg in the city. On road trips I'm getting 19 - 20 mpg. Come join the Dark Side, Hoss! 8)
Old 05-13-2003, 08:12 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hoss,<br>You ain't got a hair on your hiney if you don't get the truck.<br>(Shovelhead told me to say that)<br><br>WhoooPigSooeeee-RazorbacksShortround out
Old 05-13-2003, 09:22 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Hoss go for the Exhaust brake you won't be sorry! I honestly think they should come as standard equipment on these trucks. If that truck doesn't have the tow package you want, then take the time to find the one that does.<br><br> Drive that Ferd for a little longer if need be to get the truck you want, I can tell you from experience, it is hard to let go of one of these trucks once you et it home ;D<br><br> Good luck and don't forget the Farm bureau discount of 500 bucks.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:27 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think collage gragiates get a discount too.<br>Aggies may have to pay more.<br><br>Shortround
Old 05-13-2003, 09:33 AM

[quote author=Lary Ellis (Top) link=board=10;threadid=14659;start=0#137542 date=1052835725]<br>Hoss go for the Exhaust brake you won't be sorry! I honestly think they should come as standard equipment on these trucks. If that truck doesn't have the tow package you want, then take the time to find the one that does.<br><br> Drive that Ferd for a little longer if need be to get the truck you want, I can tell you from experience, it is hard to let go of one of these trucks once you et it home ;D<br><br> Good luck and don't forget the Farm bureau discount of 500 bucks.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I'm checking into the exhaust brake...but depending on the cost of installing it I may or may not get it. Regarding the tow package, one of my conditions on the purchase is that they install the trailer tow package (Class IV hitch and 7 pin wiring harness). <br><br>Unfortunately I'm not part of the Farm Bureau.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:35 AM

[quote author=shortround link=board=10;threadid=14659;start=0#137549 date=1052836036]<br>I think collage gragiates get a discount too.<br>Aggies may have to pay more.<br><br>Shortround<br>[/quote]<br><br>I believe that is only if you graduated in the last year...and I graduated 3 years ago. [undecided]
Old 05-13-2003, 09:47 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

<br><br>Unfortunately I'm not part of the Farm Bureau. <br>
<br><br> I wasn't either, but I called my local Farm Bureau and paid them the 35 dollar fee to join and got the discount . Just an idea Hoss
Old 05-13-2003, 09:57 AM

Hmmm....and an interesting one at that. I'll have to check into that.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:45 AM
Banned

Like bulabula said, if the wife likes it, buy it. Welcome to the darkside. ;D

So when's the 4&quot; straight pipe, triple gauge combo, EZ, and clutch going in? ;D
Old 05-13-2003, 10:47 AM

Actually...she doesn't...but this is my truck, not hers. She doesn't like diesels, she doesn't like stick shifts, she doesn't like crew cabs and she doesn't like clearance lights. All she cares about is the monthly payment.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Banned

[quote author=Hoss link=board=10;threadid=14659;start=0#137576 date=1052840827]<br>Actually...she doesn't...but this is my truck, not hers. She doesn't like diesels, she doesn't like stick shifts, she doesn't like crew cabs and she doesn't like clearance lights. All she cares about is the monthly payment. <br>[/quote]<br><br>I guess as long as she doesn't have to drive it, it doesn't really matter.

Quick Reply: Making the Plunge...Need Info ASAP