3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lower or Raise my 2500 2WD

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower or Raise my 2500 2WD

Well, it has come time to purchase my first set of tires, and I have been putting off getting Mags until I can get the whole package. Originally I wanted to lower the truck to have something really different from everyone else. I figured 2" front and 4"-5" rear. I want to go to 18" x 9" (or 10") rims, because I can still get tires with a 65 or 70 profile, around 300 size in an 8-ply or equivalent rated sidewall. Trouble is, I can't find anyone who makes any kits to accomodate my needs.

I do NOT want to put air bags on it.

So then I got the idea (I like the looks of the 4WD's) and raise it for bigger wheels and tires. At first I thought just using the spacers to raise the front to be close to level, but decided this was not sufficient. So, I decided on a 3" body kit with a 3 1/2" front end lift (giving 6 1/2") and then going to larger wheels and tires (still sticking to the 18" size).

I plan on putting on Bushwacker Pocket extend-a-flare, painted black to match the truck.

The only kit I could find (FOR A TWO(2)WHEEL DRIVE, CUMMINGS, AUTOMATIC) was a CST from www.Performancelifts.com. But I saw a lowered FORD in Nov Diesel World (pgs. 96-103) that looks killer!

Any help from anyone who has lowered (or raised) a 2wd like what I'm writing about would be greatly appreciated.

Mopar Regards,

MoparMike
Houston

P.S. I also own a '55 Imperial, '68 300 and a '70 340 Duster, all of which are like new condition.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:07 PM

I have a 4" spindle lift on my Chevy 1500. It was easy to install and it looks great now that the front end is out of weed.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:19 PM

Thanks for the reply.
I notice you have an AFE Stage II intake, and Dr. Performance Stage III Power Module with GFS-392 Walbro Performance System. Are you satisfied with the performance gains? I'm old school and use to making HP and Torque the old fasion way (without the bottle, etc.), so I am pretty new to the Diesel performance thing. When you get on the internet, everyone has the biggest and baddest to sell. But word of mouth is the best selling tool.

I'm am first going with the look of the truck, then gradually adding exhaust, intake, chips (module), etc. I figure a coulple of hundred ft/lbs of torque and maybe another hundred HP should keep me happy. If I need to go faster, I'll just pull the Duster out of the garage.

Mopar Regards,

Mopar-Mike
Old 10-17-2007, 09:58 PM

I to have been thinkin about this issue, and in the opposite view i wouldn't be opposed to air bag's but the thing is i would like to if possible make the truck ride better i kno it's a truck but theres alwaysd room for improvement...
Old 10-18-2007, 06:58 AM

honestly, if it were me id def lower it if its 2 wheel drive. be alittle different. plus 2 wheel drive, big lift and tires- that will lead you to want to wheel it and eventually get it stuck and tear some stuff up. lowering, makes it sporty looking and is def a different approach. i too saw that lowered ford in diesel world and it is killer.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just recently there's a discussion on a new spindle lift for the 2wds.
And here it is....
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...t=spindle+lift

MikeyB
Old 10-18-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
please fill out your sig so we know what year truck..

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=169570

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=169985

oh yeah, welcome!!
Old 10-18-2007, 08:10 AM
HOV

Lower it for sure. Better handling and aerodynamics (MPG++) is better than raising it to make appear as something it's not.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:31 AM

RAISE it!!! I'm dying to raise mine, just got the aftermarket wheels, the next step will be to purchase that CST spindle kit. Gotta save up some $$$ though.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:08 AM

Just put it on 13" tires, That'll lower it, and you'd be different!

"VIVA LA DIFFERENCE"

Ask Brett what he thinks! He always has an objective opinion...
Old 10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
HOV

Originally Posted by dale29
Just put it on 13" tires
That would be the "Stock Chevy" motif
Old 10-18-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dale29
Just put it on 13" tires, That'll lower it, and you'd be different!

"VIVA LA DIFFERENCE"

Ask Brett what he thinks! He always has an objective opinion...
Why not just remove the rims drive it on the rotors. Close enough to 13".

MikeyB
Old 10-18-2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by MOPAR-MIKE
Thanks for the reply.
I notice you have an AFE Stage II intake, and Dr. Performance Stage III Power Module with GFS-392 Walbro Performance System. Are you satisfied with the performance gains? I'm old school and use to making HP and Torque the old fasion way (without the bottle, etc.), so I am pretty new to the Diesel performance thing. When you get on the internet, everyone has the biggest and baddest to sell. But word of mouth is the best selling tool.

I'm am first going with the look of the truck, then gradually adding exhaust, intake, chips (module), etc. I figure a coulple of hundred ft/lbs of torque and maybe another hundred HP should keep me happy. If I need to go faster, I'll just pull the Duster out of the garage.

Mopar Regards,

Mopar-Mike

Mike as far as the intake it's deafenatly louder and flows more air but you can do something like *****'s wistler intake for ALOT less than AFE. The DR. Performance module is great for the 100 extra hp but an adjustable one would be nice. As for the fuel pump stock just doesn't cut it and GFS-392 is the best system that I've come across.

Now I think it's time to buy the lift spindles and get the truck out of the weeds. When I find the money.
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM

I'd lower it and throw some helper bags on it so you can tow.

I think nothing looks more cheapo than a lifted 2wd... Just buy a 4x4 if you want height.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Signature. Go to user CP up top and enter one.

Quick Reply: Lower or Raise my 2500 2WD