3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Low Tire Pressure Light on dash....

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Tire Pressure Light on dash....

Hi I have a question for anybody that can help me out. So I am driving along going to work and the "Low Tire Pressure" lights up and I get a "DING". So i figured well I better check my air pressure and my right rear was down 5 psi and the rest were at 60 psi . So I inflated to back up to 60 psi and went on my merry way .The little light goes out and all is well right ??? ...... Until tonight I went out and the light lights up again . So I go and check the pressure again all were at 60 but the light wont go out ????? Anybody else have this problem ??? Maybe a bad sensor ? I dont know ...

Thanks for the help in advance.......

Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 07:20 PM

I am seriously interested in finding out how to deactivate/out smart this TPMS! I don't need a **** computer telling my to put me seat belt on, check my tire pressure, get an oil change, etc. I can take care of myself! I associate this kind of garbage with lawers and their ridiculous lawsuits! The consumers should be held accountable for having some general operating and maintenance knowledge of the products they buy!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM

I hear ya Bando coould not agree more ....

Steve
Old 02-27-2008, 07:48 PM

it's not just a dodge thing, but a problem with the monitoring system used in lots of different brands of vehicles. they seem to read low psi when the weather gets cold- the service dept. at the dealership where we bought my wife's jeep, told us to just fill the tires until the lights and warning go off!
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Sorry I can't help you though. I have heard that people have had to drive some distance and play with the light load button a little before the computer recognizes the right tire pressure. Don't know how many miles you have run it...
Old 02-27-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The number two reason I bought my 2nd dodge over the Duramax was that Dodge did not think I was too stupid to turn on my headlights. Chevy/GM thinks they know beeter and turn on the lights for you, I hate that.
(Reason #1 was, of course, the Cummins)
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the TPMS goes off when the front tires go below 65psi; it's what they are set at. air your fronts above 65 and the light will stay off.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:47 PM

i had no idea that our trucks can tell you if your pressure is low, how does it know? and by the way how much psi is recommended for front and rear on stock tires?
Old 02-27-2008, 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by JVRAM07
ihow much psi is recommended for front and rear on stock tires?
If I recall correctly, the door sticker says 60 psi min for the fronts and 45 for the rears empty (with the "Light Load" switch activated) and 70 loaded.

I have been playing with my switch trying to get the light to go off for two weeks, and finally had success today. My problem was getting the switch to activate and keep the light lit, which signifies a light load.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by JVRAM07
i had no idea that our trucks can tell you if your pressure is low, how does it know? and by the way how much psi is recommended for front and rear on stock tires?
you have to have the tpms installed. My 08 doesn't have it (THANK GOD!!!) and unless you have the light load button next to your ex. brake you don't either! I was kinda bummed mine didn't have it tll I read how it works

Chris
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 AM

I have the TPMS in my wife's 05 Grand, when it gets cold, the light will more than likely come on. I have found that it is caused by the tires warming up as you drive, and since the spare has the same sensor, and obviously does not warm up, then this is usually the problem. I would suggest checking the spares pressure. Might be the culprit in your case.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisM55
you have to have the tpms installed. My 08 doesn't have it (THANK GOD!!!) and unless you have the light load button next to your ex. brake you don't either! I was kinda bummed mine didn't have it tll I read how it works

Chris
how did you get a truck with no TPMS? I was under the impression that it was a federal regulation for all vehicles in 2008 to have TPMS. Is your truck a DRW, because I have read that it is not required on a DRW?
Old 02-28-2008, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by 1screaminZ
I have the TPMS in my wife's 05 Grand, when it gets cold, the light will more than likely come on. I have found that it is caused by the tires warming up as you drive, and since the spare has the same sensor, and obviously does not warm up, then this is usually the problem. I would suggest checking the spares pressure. Might be the culprit in your case.
You know I was just thinking that it might be the spare tire I will check it out after work thas guys . I will keep you informed ..........

Steve
Old 02-28-2008, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by falstaff
The number two reason I bought my 2nd dodge over the Duramax was that Dodge did not think I was too stupid to turn on my headlights. Chevy/GM thinks they know beeter and turn on the lights for you, I hate that.
(Reason #1 was, of course, the Cummins)
I miss that, auto headlights are great. I also miss the Allison!!
Old 02-28-2008, 06:52 AM

im still wondering what the tpms is and how does it know how much tire pressure you have? also how can i tell if i have one installed, without flattening my tire of course.

Quick Reply: Low Tire Pressure Light on dash....