3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lousy mileage on recent trip . . . get the TSB?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2004, 12:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lousy mileage on recent trip . . . get the TSB?

I just returned from a fairly long trip (850mi) of almost all 75mph cruise control type driving (empty with 4 people and some luggage). I averaged about 15.7mpg. I know some folks here get worse, but I would really like to see some improvement. I suppose 70mph would give me some improvement, but the vibe maxes out at that speed (another issue) and begins to diminish at 75.

So, I need to take it in for another oil change (10k mi). I figured I'd get the mileage TSB done at the same time. Is there any reason not to do this? Also, is there anything I need to do to properly motivate the dealer to do it (e.g. complain of white smoke, etc.)? I also plan to get on record with the vibe.

If I could improve the mileage and get rid of the vibe, this truck would be almost perfect.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 12-06-2004, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neil, get the TSB, if only for the better transmission shifting. My actual mileage has increased only 0.5-1.0 mpg, BUT.....it's apples to oranges. We are on "winter fuel" here now, and with my PSD, I always lost 1-2 mpg on that fuel. So, I think come spring, my mileage will be even better. The weird part - my overhead was always very accurate BEFORE the TSB (within 0.2 of hand-calculated), now it reads anywhere from 1-1.5 high.

As for the transmission, it now holds shift points longer, and doesn't make the awful "whhuuuuummmp" sound when shifting into overdrive.

As to "motivating" the dealer, I told mine I wanted it for the better MPG (true), and white smoke (false, as I had very little).

Scott
Old 12-06-2004, 02:39 PM

I have the 6 speed but it seems to run a little better, and I picked up 1-1.5 mpg. I still have a little smoke depending on the temp outside and how cold the engine is.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:36 PM

Neil,

I was in the same boat as you for MPG at the same speeds. I took my truck in, on a Saturday even (with apt). The service writer didn't have a problem writing up the service order (I brought a copy of the TSB with me) but diesel tech came out before he did the flash and wanted to get clarification as to what I wanted fixed. I think more to make sure they were doing the right work for the problem. I told him white smoke and poor fuel economy. I had actually seen white smoke on one morning so it wasn't total BS. Anyway, the tech agreed that 18-037-04 was the correct TSB and went and installed it. Took less then a half hour for the tsb.

I'm glad I had it done. I've gained atleast 1mpg. I get 15 around town and about 16.5 - 17mpg mixed 50/50 with 70 - 80mph highway. If I slow down to 60 - 65 i push up to 19. The mountians and my speed around here keep me under 18 most of the time.

Send me a PM if you want the name of the dealer I went to. It's out your way too.

-Sam
Old 12-06-2004, 06:41 PM

I'd go for it.

It does a few other things like smooths out shifting, stabilizes the mileage computer (it won't spike up and down after the TSB) and may improve your mileage.

You could also have them enable the high-idle feature (use of cruise control buttons in park to adjust the idle) although if you live in Simi it doesn't get that cold there, but it's good to have if you find yourself in a cold climate.

The best part of that TSB is the truck just shifts smoother.

Also, the price is right, it's FREE!
Old 12-06-2004, 07:12 PM

My bro just had it done on his 04.5 and he picked up another 2mpg. Also have the High Idle activated like what dieselnewbie said. I played around with it on my bro and it works slick. Turn the cruise on and just hit set while idling and bumps the RPM's up to about 1250 or so. Also Dodge has the fix for the 70mph vibration, Updated drive shafts, bro hd that done also.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:43 PM

Go for it. My 1600 mile round trip to the other end of the state came out at 15.0, mostly right on our speed limit of 75 mph. Read 14.5 mpg around here, with commuting up and down the mountain.

Since the TSB, the shifting is great. Just like I would do it with a manual transmission. The OHC has been bouncing back and forth between 18.0 and 18.2 depending on whether I'm going up or down the mountain. I'm only about halfway through the first tankful, so a hand calculation at the end will tell if it's as good as it looks.

Otherwise, no delayed warm-up, no white smoke, no pinging, thumping, knocking, etc.

My partner's 2004.5 QC2500 SB - ditto.
Old 12-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Banned

Originally posted by BUCKSHOTMCKEE
Also Dodge has the fix for the 70mph vibration, Updated drive shafts, bro hd that done also.
OK Buckshot, now you have to tell us more.
All I've heard is that dodge is turning a deaf ear to our complaints about the vibe. Says it's normal. Yah right, normal bull. Did you happen to get a TSB # or any other info on this?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, Buckshot. Is your brother in your area? If so, who's the dealer. I have a daughter at Cal Poly SLO. I could combine one of my visits with her to include an appt at a dealer willing and able to fix this.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 12-07-2004, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive seen other people on here that claim to have the aluminum drive shaft fix. Some one even had pics to prove it. I seen them but I cant remember who it was. I wasent that long ago.