3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

lousy mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reflash?

This may sound stupid, but what does it mean to "Reflash"?
Old 01-08-2006, 05:14 PM

10-4 on the tire pressure. Try at least 50 or 55 psi. Also try the usuall, air filter and so forth. I can agree that idling will suck up your fuel economy. All these play a huge part in thre mileage.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:18 PM

You guys had me scared to death before I got mine. The first tank was the worst mileage I had ever had in a CTD. After that one, things have improved greatly. I get between 16 and 22 16 is towing and 22 is empty on the highway at about 70 mph. I have less than 2k on mine so far. I have found that the new truck likes to rev more than my old 12v did. My old 12v got great mileage at 1800-2000 where the new one seems to favor 2200-2400 the speed really hasnt changed much, just the tach!

Jason
Old 01-17-2006, 08:36 AM
Banned

Lift Pump Pressure

Originally Posted by vess33
I have had this truck for about 2 weeks now and am going broke buying diesel. The overhead is showing 10.4 which is high as it came out 8.9 hand calculated. This is all in town driving. It has been cold here but warmer than usual. I know I am using some extra fuel warming up every morning but this seems ridiculous. One thing that I noticed is the warmup time for this truck. I can warm it up for ten minutes, then drive around town, sometimes for a half an hour before it gets to operating temp. If I go into a store for even 5-10 minutes and come back out the temp is allready down to the bottom of the gauge. I replaced the fuel fitler and air filter right off. Have a scheduled appointment for the reflash for mileage. While at the dealer I am going to ask them to look at rail fuel pressure to see if this is part of the problem. I am also going to see about this thing being so cold blooded. thermostat stuck open? could explain lousy mileage?Any thing else to look at? I am new to the 3rd generation trucks. had a 2000 that was mildy bombed and ran great-got good mileage, starting to regret letting it go. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, nick
You had better have them check Lift pump pressure under load not just idle. I was in the same boat my lift pump was starving the CP3. do to a week pump and a dirty filter, My MPG was 8.867 the last tank. Now with a new filter it is at 14.6 the pump is still week and bad but with the clean filter it is not starving the CP3 as bad. Mine goes in tomorrow for a lift pump and CP3 pressure check.
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Not to make u feel bad, but to point out you really have a tech issue mine gets 13 - 14MPG pulling 8000#s (May be 9000#s when you add up all the stuff in the truck) through the mountains out west. When not towing: City I get between 16 and 17 and hiway I get 18 - 20 depending on how fast I drive. 18 is at 75.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:11 PM

I just towed a 22ft bumper pull camp trailer last weekend from Elko NV to Mesa AZ with my 05 3500 auto. Averaged 12.5 mpg hand calculated the whole way down and back---running 70-75 most of the way---truck ony has 7000 mi. on it now, so I cant't complain too much, it should get a little better with more miles. My 92 gets 14-15 all day long towing, 20-22 empty, but doesn't pull the hills nearly as well---Just my 2cents.
Old 01-17-2006, 02:58 PM

are TSB reflashes free at the local dealership? never had one done, never owned a dodge, would be nice if they were free
Old 01-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rockittboy
are TSB reflashes free at the local dealership? never had one done, never owned a dodge, would be nice if they were free
this one was Free for me it fell under the 5 year 50K emission warranty.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:58 PM

When you get ready to buy your engine heater cord, DON'T buy it from DC. Go to a Cummins big rig shop to buy it. Same cord for about 1/3 the price. Same story on fuel and oil filters.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by vess33
I have had this truck for about 2 weeks now and am going broke buying diesel. The overhead is showing 10.4 which is high as it came out 8.9 hand calculated. This is all in town driving. It has been cold here but warmer than usual. I know I am using some extra fuel warming up every morning but this seems ridiculous. One thing that I noticed is the warmup time for this truck. I can warm it up for ten minutes, then drive around town, sometimes for a half an hour before it gets to operating temp. If I go into a store for even 5-10 minutes and come back out the temp is allready down to the bottom of the gauge. I replaced the fuel fitler and air filter right off. Have a scheduled appointment for the reflash for mileage. While at the dealer I am going to ask them to look at rail fuel pressure to see if this is part of the problem. I am also going to see about this thing being so cold blooded. thermostat stuck open? could explain lousy mileage?Any thing else to look at? I am new to the 3rd generation trucks. had a 2000 that was mildy bombed and ran great-got good mileage, starting to regret letting it go. Any help would be appreciated.

thanks, nick

1st welcome the DTR.
Just out of curiousity, what gears do you have in your truck? It sounds like 4.10 with the mileage. Next, these trucks don't warm up just sitting and idling. My brother complained to me about mileage on his 04.5, Its not too much more then yours and he has the 4.10. After the flash he gained I think it was 3-4 miles more. I would recommend installing a cold front to block off some of the radiator to get it to warm-up quicker. There are some guys around here that actually remove the fan in the winter. How cold has it been getting? Maybe the fuel is geling. Try an additive. Another thing, this time of year they change the fuel to a winter blend and fuel will be low.

Tye
Old 01-17-2006, 11:14 PM

I have 3.73's, I have added a cold weather front and have had the reflash done for mileage- I am showing 16 on the overhead which is higher than it had before. I have not had a chance to hand calculate to see how close it is, but by the amount of fuel used according to my fuel gauge, it is doing quite a bit better. I have the cord but have not had a chance to throw it on yet. I have been running the white bottle of powerservice so gelling should not be an issue.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:17 PM

if you are to idle for any length of time, up your rpms to between 1050 and 1200, this will keep the truck from cooling down, and put less fuel(over time) in the bottom of the crank. Having it idled up will burn the diesel more efficiently and keep the carbon build up to a minimum. Hope it helps
Old 02-15-2006, 09:27 PM

Sorry for the late post but I can share your pain. This is my first diesel and dodge and had no idea on any of this stuff cords or cold fronts. I was expecting better mileage that is why I sprung for the diesel to pull my trailer. I was getting the same mileage as you, and I live in Iowa, it was always cold giong to work. I bought the cord and used the block heater and that helped it, but still no heat and a stop for a quick candy bar would cool down any heat I had obtained. I was tired of driving around in my expensive new diesel truck with gloves and a hat. So I zip tied some cardboard on the front of the grill itself, real ugly, but that next day scorchin heat in about five minutes and took off for a 10 mile interstate errand and got 20.8 mpg. The carbaord still on until I can find a cold front (everyone here says dont make em yet for the 06) I get 15-17 around town and 19-21 on the I. No service needed, reflashes, or wrenches just warm air and good operating temps