3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lost my cig lighter

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lost my cig lighter

Gents,
I was messing around with my disconnected cig lighter and I accidentally pushed it back into the dash . I heard it drop down into a recess somewhere. Any idea how I can get it back or where it has journeyed to?

BlackBanshee
Old 02-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I would remove the knee bolster under the steering wheel, there are two phillips screws that hold it in, and two push clips. Pull that part out, then pull the piece of trim off that is right over the tranny hump, (it just pops out). I'd start looking there.

The cubby under the hvac controls pops out, also, IIRC.

If you don't get anywhere, PM me, and I'll go look at my truck to give you a better idea.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I already pm'd this to Black Banshee, but I figured I'd post it to. This is on an 04.5, so the details my vary from model year to year.

Not grammy material, but...

Originally Posted by madhat
To remove the ashtray, take out the small tray that is in it (it just pulls out). Then, slightly squeeze the sides, there are two clips on the bottom that hold the part that opens and closes, they just pop out. I used a left to right motion, and pulled back, and slightly up to get them to come out. The tray that holds this assembly just comes out of the dash, I pulled it from the top.

Here's the knee bolster. I just wanted to show that you did not need to completely remove it in order to gain access:

To remove the trim around the radio, I pulled the shifter down into 1st (set the e-brake first) and gently pulled the trim at the top column of the instrument cluster. It is held in by push in style connectors, they just pop out. I worked my way around gently pulling it out to separate it. Just be gentle, it will come out. Remember, there are still a lot of wires connected, so just pull it far enough out to see what's behind it.

If you want to pull it all the way back, there is a phillips screw over the bag holder on the passenger side that you have to remove.

To re-install the dash, just repeat the steps that you used to remove it. Make sure everything is lined up around the radio, and give it a bump with the meaty part of your fist, it will snap back into place. Start at the passenger side, one clip at a time. Once it is all up, go around it and lightly tap it to make sure that all the connectors are completely seated.

Then, to re-assemble the ashtray, slide the opening part back into the black frame, install it in the open position, and lock the bottom snaps in. Make sure you catch the spring when you are pushing it in. Then, gently push the whole assembly back into the dash.