3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Loss of power steering when turning with brake applied

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Loss of power steering when turning with brake applied

I did a search and came up with this thread:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...light=steering

However, nothing seemed to describe my problem. The truck has less than 1500 miles and I have begun to notice that when performing steering maneuvers, say in a parking lot, when the brake is applied, I can barely turn 180 degrees before steering effort is increased drastically. I have plenty of fluid with no noticable leaks, everything seems in order under the front end, and there are no strange noises or vibrations to speak about. (I did notice the weighted power steering line.) Is what I'm experiencing normal? This is my first Dodge and Cummins as well, and I don't want to trot off to the dealer for something that is completely normal. My instincts say this isn't right though. Whaddya think?
Old 01-08-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you speaking of with the engine running, not being able to turn the steering wheel when at a stop? If so, I have the same problem. It's not that I can't turn the wheels at a stand still, it's just that it feels like there is NO power steering.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:05 AM

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about! I was reading on another site about someone having the same problem (don't know if it was a 1500, 2500 or 3500) and their dealer replaced the pump. My problem only surfaced yesterday. I haven't had the truck a week yet. My build date is 10/03.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:15 AM

I've noticed the power steering takes a little more effort when not moving, but nothing out of the ordinary. I can still crank the wheel with one hand. Since the brakes are hydroboosted from the power steering pump, this could explain your problem.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:24 AM

I agree, but is it a problem to be concerned about, or is it normal? I don't think it's right.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:31 AM

Maybe the dealer has another truck on their lot you could compare it to?

Old 01-08-2004, 12:46 PM

Had the same thing happen to me while backing out of a parking space. It felt like I was trying to turn the wheel into a curb or something and it just stopped, but it quickly kicked back in and everything was normal. Havent checked the fluid level or anything, but I am going to keep and eye on it.
Old 01-08-2004, 02:50 PM

Just noticed a few minutes ago that I would continue to feel the extra resistence for a couple of seconds after releasing the brake. Once I give it gas, everything goes back to normal. Going to call a dealer in a minute to get their opinion as well. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:01 PM

Kry226,

I don't think Dodge meant for the No PS to happen, but I think they are going to say it's normal as so many do it and most wither don't know or don't care to take it into the shop. Reguardless, let us know what your dealer tells ya. For me, it's a big hassel to take any vehicle in for repair especially if I don't know it can be fixed.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:08 PM

I am with you about wasting time at the dealer. I just called both dealers here in town and both of them say they haven't seen this type of problem on the '04s, as if they were any different than the '02-'03s. Suggestions were either the pump or steering box, and both seemed eager to do some warranty work. Neither acted like it was "Normal." I cannot get in to see them until next Friday (unless of course it gets catastrophically worse.) I will let you know how it goes.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:24 AM
Banned

Ask for them to put a pressure test on the pump. (yeah they will look at you like you are from Mars) This will determine if the pump is putting out proper pressure, or if the relief valve is set too low. Usually not a pump but a valve problem.
HTH
Old 01-09-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by spots
Ask for them to put a pressure test on the pump. (yeah they will look at you like you are from Mars) This will determine if the pump is putting out proper pressure, or if the relief valve is set too low. Usually not a pump but a valve problem.
HTH
I'll check on that, thanks.
Old 01-10-2004, 12:36 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
kry226,

I have experienced the same effect on many vehicles. And I consider it to be normal. If you have your foot on the brake and then you turn the steering wheel, each front wheel must rotate a little bit as it turns. But with the brake on, especially on hard, the wheel cannot rotate easily and steering becomes a fight between the steering and the brakes. Just hold the brake lightly or let it off while turning and stopped.

Wetspirit
Old 01-10-2004, 06:30 PM

I think that is a logical explanation, but I have never felt it in any other vehicle I have ever driven. The resistence felt in the steering wheel also continues for a couple of seconds after releasing the brake. It may be normal, but I think I'll still have it checked out. Thanks for your help.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:50 PM

My power Steering just went out on my 2003 Dodge. The brakes are degfinitly connected to the power steering because when it went so did my brakes. I am now really worried about the reliability of the truck because it is only 11 months old. I have never had a new car brake on me.

And especially now that there are more people having similar problems.

I had a friend of a friend tell me that Dodge is having a big Ball Joint problem and that there is a recall. I am going to call Dodge tommarrow and ask them about a recall.

Racnmasn

Quick Reply: Loss of power steering when turning with brake applied