3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Looking for some help

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for some help

I have gone through the multi-page tread on the broken HVAC door, thinking that it would identify my problem.

I pulled the glove box and found that the door above the fan (which opens and closes if I turn the control **** for Maximum Airconditioning) seems to be working just fine.

My problem is that I can't get any air out of the dash vents. The AC works, but only comes out of the floor vents and it seems that the airflow is reduced from what it should be. I would guess that there is another gate/door that redirects air flow to the appropriate outlet vents.

Any ideas???
Old 07-18-2009, 04:38 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, the door under your glove box is the recirc door, there is another door that directs airflow. Less likely to break, but enough have. I want to say it's the blend door.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:55 PM

Thanks steelblitzkreig,

Do you, or does anyone else, have an idea of where the blend door is and any tips on fixing/replacing it?

Have a great day!!! Dave
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM

Looking through some other posts, it seems like the blend door is the one that mixes hot and cold air. My problem is that I can't divert air flow to the dash vents or full defrost. The truck will cool off if it is 90 degrees out side, but it seems to take a long time because all of the cold air is flowing into the cab from the floor vents. I can also get heat out of the floor vents.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-19-2009, 05:42 AM

Back when I had my 03 mine would wait about 5 minutes before switching from defrost to A/C. Once I finally got it where I wanted it, I just left it there all summer and then the same when summer was over. I never did get it figured out before I traded it in...

Try going from defrost to A/C a couple times and see if it may switch over for you but give it a couple minutes....
Old 07-19-2009, 12:59 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmuleskinner
Looking through some other posts, it seems like the blend door is the one that mixes hot and cold air. My problem is that I can't divert air flow to the dash vents or full defrost.
The door you are looking for is the Mode door. Lots of threads here. Good Luck,
Old 07-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info - I am just wondering about something. It would seem that if I had a broken door, I should be able to hear some kind of motor/servo noise in the dash when I change the settings for airflow. I hear nothing. Is there a separate fuse for the heater "Mode Door" that might be blown?

Thanks, Dave
Old 07-19-2009, 11:28 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by oldmuleskinner
Thanks for the info - I am just wondering about something. It would seem that if I had a broken door, I should be able to hear some kind of motor/servo noise in the dash when I change the settings for airflow. I hear nothing. Is there a separate fuse for the heater "Mode Door" that might be blown?

Thanks, Dave
Dave, I wish it were a separate fuse. If you decide to take this on yourself, after you tear into it a bit you will see the motors and should be able to cycle them (they are quiet).

I haven't changed out a Mode Door yet (knock on wood) but I have the Recirc Door. Someone put a really good write-up on step by step with photos, how to get to everything. Can't find my shortcut to it though. Someone here may know where to find it easily.

It begins with disconnecting the batteries, dropping the steering collumn then pulling off the dash. If you think you will be comfortable with that, search for the thread and/or buy the manual for the truck. I thought the DTR Store had it but I couldn't find it. Geno's has it though.

Are you anywhere near Monroe? I'll be up there in about 2 weeks for a family get-together. Never been there.