3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

long or short bed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the replies, this site is great.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:34 PM

I like my swb ram. great for us city folks
Old 02-03-2005, 09:25 AM

LONG BED ONLY WAY TO GO! JUST REMEMBER TO SWING WIDE
Old 02-04-2005, 07:28 AM

I guess that in my original responce I should have said that I love the long bed dodge and drive often but I bought a standard cab short bed gas rig to go back and forth from work. Its easier to park, get throught the gates on base, and I dont have to worry about the diesel warming up during my 6 mile commute to work. The dodge is used for cross town and road trips in addition to its towing duties. I wouldnt have it any other way.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:16 AM

the long bed always available..

now onto you Short bed bashers.... thats not nice

I guess i have a Poser 3500 that i ferry my challengers around with..

but i just got done building a horse barn and most of the extra lumber that i needed since i was building the horse stalls myself was transported in the back of it...

whats wrong with 2 x 6's and 2x12's hanging out over tail gate...

Really cant see the whole need for the long bed...

How do you guys back out of parking lots with a 4 door truck with dually and long bed???? the short bed is long enough if you ask me, then it just becomes awkward
Old 02-04-2005, 12:57 PM

shorty shorty shorty !!!! after 5or 6 of each always like the short box Drove couple long ones before this 04 sb quad if theres a ride differance it aint much. I've allways found if you cant haul in a 6ft bed with gate down your probably gonna need a trailer anyway. For MOST uses lot more practical for ME. Parking lots, hunting roads with tank traps even turning around and backing up in tight spots with stock trailer lotsss easier. Do admit if I went FULLTIME with rv Id go with the long box . Besides with with the h2 wheels & meats it looks way cool. But what do I know my toyota pu only has a 5 ft bed
Old 02-04-2005, 07:58 PM

I love my QuadCab long bed truck, and while towing the thing is extremely capable and smooth. My only problem is getting into parking spaces sometimes, especially when I head back to NYC to visit my mom. Parking in Manhattan is fun.

I wouldn't buy a truck that's not a long bed. I don't see the point. A long bed will hold many engines, 4x8 sheets of plywood, you name it. A short bed will hold one or two engines, the plywood will have to be hanging off the tailgate, etc. Of course, if you only own your truck for driving around town purposes and parking is more of a concern, then go ahead and buy the short bed. I personally could not do the kind of hauling that I do without a long bed.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:15 PM

Why buy a pickup thaty can't carry a full size sheet of plywood or drywall IN THE BED? Even the smallest truckbox on a 6.5 Bed means 4' of your load is hanging off the **** end (the tailgate don't count) Think about it You want a TRUCK or a SUV?
Old 02-05-2005, 05:59 AM
abb

I have a short bed and love it . I also haul my 27 foot 5thwheel and the 17 foot boat and no promblems as for as the rough ride goes, it's smooth. before this I had a long bed duelly and it was ok course those dang fender are somthing eles in the drive thru and parking lots! no regrets would do it over again
Old 02-06-2005, 01:06 AM

I guess I am part of "the pinestraw crowd" according to houndog, as I love my short bed. It is easy to get around town and park. I am a carpenter and can put full sheets of plywood in the bed with tailgate down. I can also fit a substantial amount of tools in the bed. If I need more room I use my trailer.
Pulling my 18 foot flatbed trailer with my 4 wd diesel tractor loader on it is hardly noticeable. What is " the pinestraw crowd"?
Old 02-06-2005, 06:12 AM

YUPPIES! Subdivisions that homes all look a like.Suv,wife,two kids and the neighbors are your clone living 40 feet away.Gwinnett county Georgia as the PRIME examble.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by testraub
Why buy a pickup thaty can't carry a full size sheet of plywood or drywall IN THE BED? Even the smallest truckbox on a 6.5 Bed means 4' of your load is hanging off the **** end (the tailgate don't count) Think about it You want a TRUCK or a SUV?
sorry i didnt know we were all contractors

my step dad is a contractor and he has a QC LWB with a toolbox in it. i think with a toolbox, a Long bed is the way to go as the toolbox takes up a foot or 2. i dont think the long beds look good at all. I use my truck to tow light loads, and occasionally heavy. it pulls fine and it is easy to back up into tight areas where i unload my snowmobiles. I plan to tow a 42ft flatbed gooseneck, but its a V nose, so i can still go a full 90 degrees with my short bed

i can also fit an ATV in my bed without a problem. Love my short bed.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:44 AM

I am torn. I have the short box on a quad cab and its so long to park and fit places. I drove a short nimble jeep cherokee before this. Im adapting but sometimes this is about as much as i care to handle. However, you can imagine my dissapointment when i found my big polaris 700 sportsman wouldnt fit with the tailgate up! my friend has a predator that fits in a tacoma short bed. lol. plus it looks a little chopped and i realize stacks would look queer on it now. So when i haul something long, the tailgate goes down and stuff gets tied down. Its still more trunk space than anyone else i hang out with!
Old 02-07-2005, 01:03 PM

I am a general cotractor myself, build barns, homes, whatever wherever

I have a Dump TRUCK "yes people a dump truck" for hauling engines, large loads of wood, STONE?? yup no more shoveling off the stone you picked up in a quarry in the back of your truck

Its a dodge 3500, dually (the only kind of truck that can be a dually is a dump) to me that is.

to bad its not a cummins! lol its actually a gasser but the gasser = more than enough power for hauling a few tons of stone etc

and you know why i have a dump right?

you can dump 50 sheets of plywood off with a flip of a switch AMAZING

sorta saves time compared to having 3 guys just going for an half hour unloading while nothing gets done

I am a poser with my short bed truck consider it a family truck that hauls my challengers and picks them up from the various area's i find them

Quick Reply: long or short bed?