3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

long or short bed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question long or short bed?

Wondering if a long box handles better than a short when towing?
I would like to purchase a new 3500, but it's not offered in a long box unless I go dually. I really would like the longer bed that is only offered in the 2500. I'm leaning towards the 3500 just incase I ever tow any serious load. I don't want to get caught over loaded in an accident.
I currently own a 1500 GMC 4x4. A 5,000 lb. cargo trailer (the pimp) slings it around like it's his hooker.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:32 PM

Things must have changed in 05 as I have an 04.5 long bed 3500 SRW 4 door. Handles great also. The longer your rig is the smoother it should tow a load but at the length of these trucks I dont think that it will effect it all that much. Never drove the short bed version however. Word of caution, parking really stinks as it is usually longer than the parking spots!!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:41 PM

Consider the 2500 LB. I f you need the extra load capacity add air bags. The 2500 is the same as 3500 except for the leaf springs.(at least it was when I got my 04.5) The long bed will be smoother.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:29 PM

I love my long bed.. and wouldn't have it any other way. The only issue I have is squeezing it into some parking spots is a pain, because it doesnt "swing" as well as a short bed would, but I wouldnt want a useless bed attached to the cab of my truck
Scott
Old 01-30-2005, 11:36 PM

Agree that things must have changed about the 3500 SRW long bed. Could it be the dealer just wants to move what he has on the lot so he says it is only available as a short bed?

Just ran through the Build and Price over on the Dodge website and this is what I found for the 3500 under the options tab:

modify
- Single Rear Wheel Group ($1,235.00)
- Add Full Size Spare Tire $180.00
- Anti-Spin Differential Axle $285.00
- Bright Grille Included
- Pickup Box Delete ($400.00)
- Engine Block Heater $10.00
- Carpet Floor Covering Included
- Speed Control Included
- Folding Flat Load Floor Storage $100.00

Really makes it look like they want to move what they have on hand.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:50 PM

Another vote for the long box here. A 5 1/2' box isn't good for much, but if you don't ever haul anything it'd be ok I guess. The longer your wheel base is, the less you'll get bounced around going over bumps. Try driving an old K5 Blazer if you want an exaggerated example of what I'm talking about.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:55 PM

Originally posted by Equalizer 2
Agree that things must have changed about the 3500 SRW long bed. Could it be the dealer just wants to move what he has on the lot so he says it is only available as a short bed?

Just ran through the Build and Price over on the Dodge website and this is what I found for the 3500 under the options tab:

modify
- Single Rear Wheel Group ($1,235.00)
- Add Full Size Spare Tire $180.00
- Anti-Spin Differential Axle $285.00
- Bright Grille Included
- Pickup Box Delete ($400.00)
- Engine Block Heater $10.00
- Carpet Floor Covering Included
- Speed Control Included
- Folding Flat Load Floor Storage $100.00

Really makes it look like they want to move what they have on hand.
when i built a truck on dodge.com i picked the wheelbase/bed early on in the process. salesman is lying, 3500s are available in either wheelbase with either bed. i'd call him on it to see his response.

my saleswoman said demand is so great for these trucks the guy that just bought that blue one drove the whole way from minnesota! right, that's why there's a $2500 rebate. (i talked with the gentleman who bought the blue '04 and the blue '00 he traded in had PA plates) dealers lie. if they lie to you now they will lie later, this was the case with my dealership. i'd try to find somewhere more honest, but that's just me.

also on the subject, i found a long bed to be exponentially more useful in every way than a short bed. the parking issue is a worthwhile tradeoff.
Old 01-31-2005, 04:12 AM

I think my 03 is a long bed too.......
Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 AM

If I had ordered mine I probably would have taken a short bed. However I bought a slightly used off of the lot and am much happier that I got the Long Bed. I like the looks of the short bed better, but the long bed is much more useful. I would definitely find a dealer that doesn't BS you

Hondo
Old 01-31-2005, 06:30 AM

My FatCat and 4wheeler fit in my SWB, plus my truck fits in my garage no problem, but then I don't use my truck for work either. I prefer the look of a SWB too. On the other hand, I've never driven a LWB, so I guess I need to now. Everyone I know that uses their truck for work or for real serious RV travel goes with the LWB (the longer the wheel base the better the towing). A buddie used his wife's Tahoe to tow their 23' RV trailer once. He said "NEVER AGAIN!"
Old 01-31-2005, 01:20 PM

Let me chime in here too.

I ordered mine with the swb because the wife talked me out of the lwb. "She was worried about parking the lwb". She also knows I'm big stinker when it comes to people denting up my vehicles!! Plus, my wife loves to park as close to the store front as possible. (Thats why her 02 Audi is all scratched up) My point was made no more than 3 days later when we left for our cross counrty trip (WA to VA via the southern route) that I should have got the lwb. We loaded out the bed with luggage, food, coolers, fishing gear and what ever else we could find. Tried to close the tail gate and guess what happened? Yep, "the big I told you I should have got the lwb"!!! Then in December I had to replace the bedroom door because the wife lost the key, so she decided to bust it open. Went to the local Home Depot, tried to load the door in the bed and guess what. Yep, "she got the I told you so, again !!!" It's funny, when I was ordering the truck my 9 yr old son even said "dad be sure to get the long bed so we can put the atv'/dirts bikes in the back. The wife just does'nt understand.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:41 PM
KPN

2005 3500s are definitely available with long bed/SRW. I just bought one and test drove several others. Don't settle for what that dealer has, get what you really want, even if you have to go somewhere else.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:13 PM

Long bed.Shorts are kinda useless.Shorts are ok for the pinestraw crowd if you know what I mean.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:45 PM

Another vote for the long box here. Had a short box on my 02 1500. Now have a long box and glad I do. Parking isn't much of a problem, just back in. I find it much easier than pulling in and it's easier to pull out than to back out. Especially when you have to watch out for little tiny sub-compacts that like to try to sneak by as you're backing out. The only trouble I have with the long box is getting through the obstacles that they put at the main gate of our base. It's a little tight.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:51 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally posted by IA_James
A 5 1/2' box isn't good for much, but if you don't ever haul anything it'd be ok I guess.
Where did you come up with 5.5' ? The SWB's are 6'3" (or 6.25').
I do own a SWB and they aren't very practical, but for me personally it's all I need.
Greg

Quick Reply: long or short bed?