3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

A little towing advise needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go here to check weights................
http://www-5.dodge.com/towing5/D/home.html
Old 07-06-2007, 03:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like the trailer.......GET IT!

Your truck will pull it fine. I agree with the others about upgrading your receiver hitch. I recommend a Putnam XDR Class 5. This thing is stout.
http://www.trailerhitches.com/produc...view&key=PT187

With the triple axles, I would think the tongue weight would be even less than mine.....I am pulling a Weekend Warrior FS2600. If you think your trucks sags a little, then add some Firestone Riderite Airbags.

You will be happy with it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 AM

i have a 28' racecar trailer tag. we did one trip with it and when we returned i got a reese equilizer hitch with a stabilizer , no suspention mods needed with this hitch !!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:42 AM

I tow a 35' 11K travel trailer with weight distribution hitch and my 2500 pulls it down the road like no one claim. The only time I notice a really rough ride is on I-10 in the FL panhandle and in Mississippi on I-20 near Jackson (the road sucks there).
Old 07-11-2007, 08:44 AM

Thanks a lot for all the advice. I wound up buying a new triple axle toy hauler. Dry weight is about 9700lbs, and when fully loaded is probably around 12,000lbs. I have to say I am impressed with this truck on the highway. It has more useable pulling power than the 03 D-Max Dually I had. I do however miss the stability of the extra set of wheels in the back. I am using a weight distribution hitch. Every so often there is a little wag in the *** end, so I am thinking about upgrading to a sway controller. Has anyone here had any experience with a sway control or may some suggestions on which one to go with?

I am also thinking of upgrading the exhaust. I thought I read somewhere on here it is better to just replace the muffler since the rest of the exhaust is good enough. I don't want any drone, and it seems as though people are having pretty good luck with the 51" Donaldsons. Would I actually see a performance increase with this?

I should be able to post some pictures this weekend of the whole set up.

Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!
Old 07-11-2007, 10:33 AM

Definitely get some sort of sway control. I have Reese's Straight-Line System which integrates the sway control into the weight distribution hitch. Keeps my trailer pointed straight ahead.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by ecarl357
Thanks a lot for all the advice. I wound up buying a new triple axle toy hauler. Dry weight is about 9700lbs, and when fully loaded is probably around 12,000lbs. I have to say I am impressed with this truck on the highway. It has more useable pulling power than the 03 D-Max Dually I had. I do however miss the stability of the extra set of wheels in the back. I am using a weight distribution hitch. Every so often there is a little wag in the *** end, so I am thinking about upgrading to a sway controller. Has anyone here had any experience with a sway control or may some suggestions on which one to go with?

I am also thinking of upgrading the exhaust. I thought I read somewhere on here it is better to just replace the muffler since the rest of the exhaust is good enough. I don't want any drone, and it seems as though people are having pretty good luck with the 51" Donaldsons. Would I actually see a performance increase with this?

Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!
The add-0n sway controllers for these hitchs are INVALUABLE !! i just got one for like 60.00 delivered via ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Frict...spagenameZWD1V
Old 07-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Are there ever any problems with a sway control while making sharp corners, or sharp turns when backing the trailer up?
Old 07-11-2007, 01:05 PM

Are there ever any problems with a sway control while making sharp corners, or sharp turns when backing the trailer up?

I've never had a problem, and I have made some tight turns, but it is possible.
If you head off road or are backing into a tight spot at a funky angle its easy enough to disconnect them before doing so.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:01 PM

Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!
The add-0n sway controllers for these hitchs are INVALUABLE !! i just got one for like 60.00 delivered via ebay

Old 07-11-2007, 03:49 PM

A lot of good info coverd here. Class 5 hitch and sway aways are a must with that kind of weight!
Weight is not a problem for the for that truck, However control is going to be an issue. With that much weight and length you have very little margin for error. If you go 5th wheel you won't have to worry about the Tail Wagging the Dog or the Dodge.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:32 PM

I just ordered my sway control today, and it should be here by the weekend. It does not look that hard to install, actually looks quite simple. All in all I am happy with the way the truck performed. The only time I got an uneasy feeling with it was when I was coasting downhill at interstate speeds......then again a little squeeze of the brake controller got everything back in line. Don't get me wrong, it is not like I was out of control, or you could see the trailer swaying in the mirror, but you could feel the backend of the truck moving around from time to time. Other than that, all felt good. I may start to investigate some airbags for it. Once again thanks for all the input, and I will be sure to post some pictures this weekend.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:42 PM

I just ordered my sway control today, and it should be here by the weekend. It does not look that hard to install, actually looks quite simple. All in all I am happy with the way the truck performed. The only time I got an uneasy feeling with it was when I was coasting downhill at interstate speeds......then again a little squeeze of the brake controller got everything back in line. Don't get me wrong, it is not like I was out of control, or you could see the trailer swaying in the mirror, but you could feel the backend of the truck moving around from time to time. Other than that, all felt good. I may start to investigate some airbags for it. Once again thanks for all the input, and I will be sure to post some pictures this weekend.

order them off the ebay link? thats where i got mine and it was here in two days. might want to look into some bilstein shocks ---they will help a lot with the rear end sway of the truck
Old 07-11-2007, 05:46 PM

With any trailer that you get make sure that your TOTAL truck and trailer is not over 26000 LBS GVRW combined. Anything 26001 LBS and up requires CDL lic. to pull. Also depending on the states you pull it in you might need to see how long your rig is front bumper to rear of your trailer. Like Indiana has a 60' rule that if your rig is 60' or longer it must be registered as a semi. They have been giving allot of people tickets that have gooseneck 40' trailers because they figured out they can simply make allot of money off the fines. Believe it. That’s what 1 Sgt. told me at the Seymour scale house $150 to $1000 in fines. If you were to drag it with a camper then you’d get away with above 26000LBS

Mark
Old 07-11-2007, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by herb

The sway control you bought won't do crap for anything over 5000 lbs. Friction sway controls SUCK!

Even running two of them isn't as good as a Dual Cam or Equalizer types.

If you forget to remove the friction sway control when backing up you'll either bend the bar,bend the mount on the hitch, or rip the mount off the frame of the trailer.

Did I mention they SUCK! ?

Quick Reply: A little towing advise needed.