3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lights flickering - headlights, interior, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lights flickering - headlights, interior, etc.

A couple of weeks ago I had my wife take the truck to the local auto parts store to have them test the batteries in the truck. I had one fail about a month ago, and it felt to me like the truck was struggling to start again -- like there wasn't enough juice. She said they tested the batteries and they showed good.

Perhaps an important detail was they had to disconnect one of the batteries in order to get a good read on the other. I mention these details because this is the only change on the truck in probably a year or more.

Seems like ever since then, the headlights and other lights on the truck flicker. I'm hyper-sensitive to this, my wife doesn't even notice. I don't drive the truck much, especially at night or early morning. But this morning, I woke up with a headache, and decided to drive the truck to work for a change. I noticed when I dropped my daughter off at school, the interior dome lights were really flickering. So I paid more close attention and also noticed that the backlights for the radio and gauge cluster were also flickering.

Any ideas on what could be causing this and what the solution would be?

I'm going to pull the connectors on the batteries when I get home tonight and clean them up and make sure they are secure. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to do.

ben
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you replace both batteries or just the one? Generally you replace both at the same time because the weaker one will draw from the stronger one causing similiar problems as you have mentioned.
I agree with you as rechecking your connections especially grounds.
I would also get the batteries retested from a different source.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Reelay
Did you replace both batteries or just the one? Generally you replace both at the same time because the weaker one will draw from the stronger one causing similiar problems as you have mentioned.
I agree with you as rechecking your connections especially grounds.
I would also get the batteries retested from a different source.
They only replaced one battery. Said the other one was good. I found that odd because every time before they replaced both.

Thanks for the pointer. I'm going to have them both tested on the way home tonight.

ben
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Keep us posted of the outcome might help some others with these issues....