3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lights

whats a good up grade for head lights???
Old 12-03-2006, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by gullydog
Gullydog check out WWW.xtralights.com they should have something that interests you.I personally would go with the HID conversion ,and they have it with HI/LOW beam.They have a really good site I feel.If you do find something (somewhere let me know,I`m just comparison shopping right now).
Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I installed a relay kit and Sylvania Silverstars. Made a worthwhile improvement for under $100.
Old 12-03-2006, 10:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when I do, I'm going HID's
Old 12-03-2006, 11:23 PM

Does or has anyone here tried any of Xtralights products? I am considering trying a set of the Dual Halo projector headlights.Any feedback would be welcome!! Thanks!!
Old 12-03-2006, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Driller
Does or has anyone here tried any of Xtralights products? I am considering trying a set of the Dual Halo projector headlights.Any feedback would be welcome!! Thanks!!
Check with Morkable he is from GP and he had projectors and he really did not like them.If your not doing anything next w/e you should come up to Olds.There should be about 10-12 trucks most will run on the dyno.Morkable says he`ll be there so you could talk to him about his previous lighting issues.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Driller

I just put a set in this weekend, I have pics 1/2 way thru with one regular light, and one halo light. I will get it posted up today or Tuesday. I wasn't crazy about the lights after install either, but then I adjusted the beams a bit and I like it now, more light output in lo and hi beam.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by gullydog
I'm really not impressed with the stock headlights either.

The HID kit looks good but is pricey at $500. I would also be concerned that just adding a brighter bulb or system may or may not make things better. I'm no lighting engineer, but from what I've read each light is "tuned" based on it's shape, reflection, etc. etc. So adding more light may in some cases might just make things worse by refracting the light improperly. And in the process having oncoming traffic flashing their brights at you constantly.

My use of words may not be technically correct but you get the idea.

Is there anyone here with a technical background in lights to shed some light....pun intended...
Old 12-04-2006, 12:20 PM

I came across an add for PIAA that shows they make a set of brighter bulbs.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:24 PM

I spoke with PIAA today and they said they don't have a bulb for the '06 available yet because of some "patent issues"?!
Old 12-04-2006, 11:01 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by LanceK
I'm really not impressed with the stock headlights either.

The HID kit looks good but is pricey at $500. I would also be concerned that just adding a brighter bulb or system may or may not make things better. I'm no lighting engineer, but from what I've read each light is "tuned" based on it's shape, reflection, etc. etc. So adding more light may in some cases might just make things worse by refracting the light improperly. And in the process having oncoming traffic flashing their brights at you constantly.

My use of words may not be technically correct but you get the idea.

Is there anyone here with a technical background in lights to shed some light....pun intended...
I agree completely. I've heard that these drop-in HID kits that use the stock lamp are a failure for the exact reason you mention. The lens and reflector are designed for a certain bulb. Adding a completely different bulb such as an HID will simply make the light go everywhere but where it should. If somebody made an HID kit for our trucks that came with bulbs AND new lamps, that would be a different matter.