3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Licence plate lights

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 07:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Licence plate lights

Well I got pulled over last night for not having my back licence plate lights working, only gave me a warning so no big deal. Go to work on it today thinking the lights burnt out or something came unpluged, everything was pluged in and when I pulled the lights one was cracked and the other had blown up. Thought that was weird checked the volts with my multimeter and everything was fine so I just replaced the bulbs and they worked. My question is, what would have made them crack and blow up like that? I know its electrical and anything can cause it but I just thought it was weird, I havent pulled a trailer in a while so I havent been messing around with the wires back there or anything. It had been raining a lot a while back and maybe water splashed up in there when they where on and hot, but they look to be in a sealed lens so who knows. I guess I really dont have a problem tell it does it acouple more times jsut thought it was weird.
JW
Old 09-02-2007, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine did the same thing after about 4 month's of having the truck. Dealer actually found it when I went in for a reflash. They wanted to charge like $20 for new ones. I just went to the parts store and picked some up. They havn't burnt out since. Dodge could have had a bad batch of bulbs.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:34 PM

Possibly there isn't enough ventilation, and they are getting too hot. If they are too hot, fingerprint oils will etch the glass and it can crack, making the lamp fail. This usually more of a problem with halogen bulbs, but it can also happen to ordinary lamps, if they get hot enough.

Try removing the bulbs and cleaning them with a soft cloth. Then reinstall them without getting your fingerprint on the glass. Or you may be able to just clean them off while they are installed in the socket. It depends on how much room there is.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:53 PM
DBM

huh, one of my bulbs blew up too. It happened about two month ago. I switched over to regulated L.E.D bulbs and everything is good now.