3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leveling the truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 04:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling the truck

Thinking about leveling my truck, will this effect the angle the engine sits at? Are there any adjustments that have to be made to level the truck and preserve a smooth ride?
Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by paul4romtexas
Thinking about leveling my truck, will this effect the angle the engine sits at? Are there any adjustments that have to be made to level the truck and preserve a smooth ride?
Nope and nope, although I would advise getting a new set of shocks.
Old 07-17-2006, 05:17 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Your factory shocks are just fine. If it were getting near time to replace them I would say, but otherwise roll with them................
Old 07-17-2006, 07:25 PM

The truck is only 2 months old. It also has the TRX4 package, which I understand has some beefier shocks. What kits do yall recommend? Do it yourself or have someone install it?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:32 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't have to lift the front to level it. You can pull out the rear spacer blocks and it takes on a real nice stance. It's an easy change and you can easily go back if you don't like it.

Wetspirit
Old 07-18-2006, 01:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by paul4romtexas
The truck is only 2 months old. It also has the TRX4 package, which I understand has some beefier shocks. What kits do yall recommend? Do it yourself or have someone install it?

http://www.hellbentsteel.com/dodge/dodge-lift-kit.html

You can do it yourself. Maybe find a friend to help with the install.

You can run with the stock shocks, but aftermarket ones like Bilstein or Rancho will help with handling and ride.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 AM

I have a question concerning leveling a truck, isn't it designed to be that way for a reason? I thought trucks were that way so when the truck was loaded it would still handle well. Wouldn't you be upsetting that by leveling it?
Old 07-18-2006, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by bamataco1
I have a question concerning leveling a truck, isn't it designed to be that way for a reason? I thought trucks were that way so when the truck was loaded it would still handle well. Wouldn't you be upsetting that by leveling it?
I'm with you man. When you load up a leveled truck it's no longer level is it? Unless you put airbags or something in the rear.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by slorocco
I'm with you man. When you load up a leveled truck it's no longer level is it? Unless you put airbags or something in the rear.
See that depends on how much of a leveling kit you use.They can be ordered anywhere from 1 1/2 to 3.I have an 1 1/2.Empty the truck still is about a 1/2 higher inthe back But if your dont actually measure it looks level.I Pull a 27' 5th wheel and it handles just like when it was stock.But thats my opinion some will say it handles like sh^%# others will say it handles better than stock.I Think its the same
Old 07-18-2006, 11:27 AM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you're loaded heavy or towing heavy most of the time a leveling kit is not a good Idea because the truck will be down in the rear most of the time. For those that don't carry anything heavy, it makes the truck look level all the time. I removed the rear spacer blocks and it was still an inch or so high in the rear. When I have a big load it sits down a little in the rear. It's a good compromise though because I think it handles better, loads easier, and is easier to get into, with the rear blocks out. And I can still put about 600-800 lbs in before it gets level. I go off road a lot and the clearance has not been a problem. Lifting the front and then adding big tires really makes them high. I'd be more concerned about rolling it in an emergency manuver. Just the everyday loading and getting in and out is a lot harder with it higher.

Wetspirit