3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leveling kit write up help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling kit write up help

Hey.
Has anyone done a write up on a leveling kit to include photos, etc?
I just lifted my mega 3 inches via body lift and want to level it now.

I also added the rear aftermarket wheelwell liners (huge difference)!!!

I just priced out 20" diamos and 35's for 3400.00! WOW... I vomited in my mouth alittle.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
easy to do. raise truck, remove shock, shock tower, sway bar (1 side at a time). have a jack under axle before you do any of this so you can lower the axle slowly. the spring will relax, have a buddy push down on the axle and toss in the leveling kit. lift axle back up (make sure spring is seated in perch before you completely raise her up), re install shock (longer unless you find a kit that does not need a longer shock and yes they are out there), then shock tower and sway bar. repeat steps on other side. install wheels, done
Old 05-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.hellbentsteel.com/Instruc...ge_Ram_R04.pdf
Old 05-21-2010, 05:20 PM

Man I did about 3 days of searching. Thanks for both write ups!

Has anyone found that using any other spacers with these kits to be helpful? (swaybar spacers, etc etc)
Old 05-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Soot For Brains!

On my hbs 2" leveling kit i didnt have to put on anything, no bigger shocks, no extentions period. I think you can get away with that even on the 2.5" leveling but any bigger i think that stuff is required
Old 05-22-2010, 07:39 AM

Cool. I know when I previously had a spacer lift on my 4runner prior to my suspension lift I had to put a drop bracket into the front to eliminate the stress it put on the front suspension.
Old 05-22-2010, 02:25 PM

Do you need the adjustable track bar to recenter the axle with the HBS 2 in kit? I just ordered one and wondering if I need to recenter the front axle.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Soot For Brains!

Originally Posted by appydriver
Do you need the adjustable track bar to recenter the axle with the HBS 2 in kit? I just ordered one and wondering if I need to recenter the front axle.
No its not a need to have, but if you have the money then go ahead it doesnt hurt.As far as drop brackets,upgrade end links, steering stabilizers, adjustable track bar and shocks ect..It does help with the steering geometry and stress of the front end but these smaller kits dont really need them unless your a serious offroader. My whole suspension and stearing setup is all factory except the HBS 2" and my truck drives, tows, and handles like a dream.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks, My truck is a daily driver and used around the farm,tows our camper and horse trailer. I don't do any off roading to speak of. What about the track bar bushings from Geno's? Are they any stiffer than the stock rubber ones. My truck has 80,000 miles so I'm sure a few of the steering components could use freshening up.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 PM
Soot For Brains!

They claim that they are stiffer but Im sorry i dont have any experience with that. If id put anything on these trucks it would be a aftermarket steering dampner, now that made a difference when i go down the road.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 AM

I'm getting a little feed back through the steering wheel now with the 285/70/17's. I checked my stabilizer yesterday and had no dead spots. What are some of the better aftermarket ones out there?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:04 AM
Soot For Brains!

This is the kit i had on my 04 and worked great for my 35s.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-09...item20b10a41a8.

I think Im gonna try out a single bilstein steering damper since i only have 285-70-17s on my new truck and dont plan on going much bigger or aggressive.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:22 AM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by got_soot
No its not a need to have, but if you have the money then go ahead it doesnt hurt.As far as drop brackets,upgrade end links, steering stabilizers, adjustable track bar and shocks ect..It does help with the steering geometry and stress of the front end but these smaller kits dont really need them unless your a serious offroader. My whole suspension and stearing setup is all factory except the HBS 2" and my truck drives, tows, and handles like a dream.
Do you have any pull at all.

Im getting a slight drift to the right at my 2" level and 35's and from what Ive been reading the adjustable track bar is the cure for this.

No DW thank goodness.

Want to put a good steering stabilizer too while Im at it.

Sorry for the mini hijack...
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
Soot For Brains!

high jacks are welcome Blake lol. Maybe your experience differs from mine because of those huge honking mudders you just put on.lol. I have no pull whats so ever remember im only rollin a 285-70-17s which are small.lol
Old 05-24-2010, 10:19 PM

So the Bilstein is quite a bit stiffer than the factory stabilizer? I just put the 285's on last fall so I will have them for a while. I think I will go with the 295's for the next set. I had a set on before and I think I liked the way they looked better than the 285's. Not much different but just enough more tire to fill up the wheel well and with the 2 in. lift I think they would be perfect. I was also wondering did the 2 in. of lift offset your front axle much?

Quick Reply: Leveling kit write up help