3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leveling Kit. Spacers, coils, shocks???

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 08:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leveling Kit. Spacers, coils, shocks???

I've been reading and reading on here about the leveling kits for weeks trying to decide what is the best bang for the buck as far as leveling kit goes. There are so many opinions good and bad on which direction to go but no real concreate answers that I see.

I have a 06 4x4 Megacab that I will be pulling my 20ft. bass boat and my 16' enclosed trailer for 4-wheeliers. I want to add a leveling kit, 315 BG KO's, and a Smarty. I'm not going to be doing any off roading. Basically highway with the ocassionial back gravel roads. I just want the same factory ride.

What would be wrong with using this set up below?
http://hellbentsteel.com/dodge/dodge...eling-lift-kit

Is there going to really be much difference with this setup apposed to putting coils and longer Bilstein 5100 shocks? What are the real gains?

I'm no expert on this stuff. I just have been reading all the different opinions. I would like to hear from peeps that have ran spacers and changed to coils and shocks. Why??

Thanks
Old 11-26-2006, 09:28 AM

try this site they have some good prices http://www.topguncustomz.com/Store/products.php?S_ID=51
Old 11-26-2006, 09:53 AM

simoniz.

I too was faced with the desire to make a similar change and bogged down with all the discussions regarding the pros and cons. I wanted to go to the bigger 315 tires, level the truck, and would be towing with both a gooseneck and bumper pull. I would have a lttle off road here and there, by I also travel a lot on gravel washboard roads.

So, I decided to take a look at what you might consider the real facts of 1) just adding a spacer, and how that would change the suspension, and 2) the addition of a kit that changed the springs and shocks, and 3) how I thought I would be using my truck - street/towing vrs off-road. I never really got past what the spacers would do/not do before I relaized the shocks would need replaced to have good dampning. I ended up going the kit route, would be better for my purposes in the overall.

Just adding a spacer meant that I would be increasing the distance top to bottom by the spacer - 2" is the average spacer out there. That would mean that the shock would lengthen the 2", but also change the dampening capabilities of the shock. Theoretically the stock spring rate would remain the same. As many have noted, most all DID then change the shock because it's dampening did change, and it changed to a rougher ride with less dampening. Many found that this solved the dampening issue and that is all the did.

With the stock spring rate, I would be traveling down the washboard roads at whatever was a comfortable experience, my stock system was already giving me that feedback, the ride was a little too rough and with an empty bed it was easy to break loose on the gravel when I encountered a good bump in the road. I read a lot of technical stuff regarding the loss of traction due to spring rates and found that springs designed with variable rates were more of the direction I needed to persue. That took me to looking at kits.

When I bought my KORE kit, they were pretty much the only one on the block. The others have since developed their systems, and more and more are using them now. The newer kits give you some options not out there by KORE. You can find your starting place and grow your system over time rather than buying the whole package at once. You might find that this is the way you might be traveling over time, may not.

I chose the KORE HD Leveling kit because I knew that would be all I needed based on my use and because they had done some engineering design work and some field testing of their products. I also knew I would be adding an air bag system to the rear to control some of the sag that takes place under load, and also to take the stress of that off the front suspension.

Can of worms to say the least but I am sure you will find what you need to meet your needs or go through the trial and error until you do. I am very pleased with the results I have with what I have changed and do not plan on making any more changes.

CD
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I decided on front 2" spacers, rear 5K# airbags, and Bilstein 5100s all around.
Old 11-26-2006, 12:58 PM

my thoughts from another post, think it fits here tooo

spacers or coils will depend on what you want to do with your truck.

if mostly on road, spacers and shocks should be fine.

If you do some off road, thinking a leveling kit would be fine

If you want to go fast off road, more of a complete system.

and the 35s will fit without a lift, there may just be some control arm rub with stock offset wheels.
Old 11-26-2006, 06:01 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Hellbent spacers?
Old 11-26-2006, 08:28 PM

texasCTD has them and likes them

Trending Topics

Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM

I went with a 2" leveling kit,front spacer and a firestone air bag rear. I wanted to fit 35" tires under mine, but depending on if you change the rims and how much offset they have, 35" would not fit on my truck even with the lift. My rims have a fair amount of offset, but my 315's still give a little rub on full turn. The 315 are right around 33" high.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nriver
texasCTD has them and likes them

I am very happy with my Hell Bent Steel spacers. Ride is no different than stock. I don't do alot of off-roading in my truck, but the few times I have been out they worked great.

I just made a trip this long Thanksgiving weekend pulling 2 different heavy loads about 1000 miles (Toyhauler travel trailer loaded with ATVs going......and gooseneck trailer loaded with an ATV and a Powerjoke coming back).......The HBS kit was no problem. Truck pulled both loads like a dream. (about 12-13,000lbs).

I agree with NRiver's assessment. Fast offroad driving...get a full kit with springs. Light off-roading or on road....HBS is great.
Replace the junker shocks with something better..........I like the Rancho 9000s.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad you guys decided to put the PowerBroke on the GN!
Old 11-28-2006, 02:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XLR8R
I'm glad you guys decided to put the PowerBroke on the GN!

Yep, and I have a few pics of the 6.0oooh No on the GN. The brother-in-law was VERY impressed with the Smarty enhanced Cummins' power.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 AM

Texes CTD, so your running the spacers with the stock front shocks?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:10 AM

I have the HBS 2" spacers in my truck and had to run the stock shocks for a couple weeks until my bilsteins came in. There isn't a huge difference between the two when your driving on a decent road. I did notice a difference crossing railroad tracks or potholes or running through a rough field. The bilsteins definitely dampen bigger bumps much better. But for general highway driving you'll never notice a difference with stock shocks. I don't think stock will last long with 2" spacers because it's being used outside of it's desinged travel range. Also, don't forget to do something with your swaybar eventually (drop blocks or extended links).

I'm happy with the ride from what I have right now. But if I spent more time off road with it, I would rather have front and rear springs.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by mtedwards
I have the HBS 2" spacers in my truck and had to run the stock shocks for a couple weeks until my bilsteins came in. There isn't a huge difference between the two when your driving on a decent road. I did notice a difference crossing railroad tracks or potholes or running through a rough field. The bilsteins definitely dampen bigger bumps much better. But for general highway driving you'll never notice a difference with stock shocks. I don't think stock will last long with 2" spacers because it's being used outside of it's desinged travel range. Also, don't forget to do something with your swaybar eventually (drop blocks or extended links).

I'm happy with the ride from what I have right now. But if I spent more time off road with it, I would rather have front and rear springs.
Please explain what you mean about the swaybar?? What I need to do and why? Haven't heard much about this.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:56 AM

Not many people do them, but if you go off road at all and flex the front suspension you need them. When you lift the truck, the swaybar mount point stays with the chassis and moves away from the axle by 2". Because of how the endlinks are attached, when you move the axle to the extremes, it binds up the endlinks and can bend them. There are two ways to overcome the problem, swaybar mount spacers or extended endlinks. Kore, lorenz and carli all make the spacers and endlinks. Endlinks generally run $165 new and spacers are $65 new. Go to www.thecarlisuspension.com or www.lorenzindustries.com and look at the parts to see what I'm talking about. I put 8K miles on mine and a little off roading before I put the drop blocks on and didn't have any problems, but I never flexed the suspension a lot either.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit. Spacers, coils, shocks???