3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lets see those caps one more time.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lets see those caps one more time.

I'm looking to purchase a cap and would like to see what you guys have and pros and cons.

It's winter so more of you may have them now.
Old 01-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Leer. No problems.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'v been shopping for a cap for a month. Leer is pretty good, but pricey. Expect to pay $1000-1500. SnugTop is one step above Leer in price. ARE also looks pretty good, about equal to a Leer, but a little bit cheaper. I was planning on buying a Astro cap. Looked good, basic cover with no extras, about $950.

I also looked at aluminum. They used to be considerably cheaper. But with the cost of aluminum being so high, alum costs the same as a basic fiberglass. And the 'glass looks better.

I just bought a used Glasstite cap. It came off an earlier Ford. The fit isn't perfect, but close. It has a few dings. But it covers my stuff, it's water proof, and the color is a close match. But, best of all, it was $180! Such a deal. Craigs List is my friend.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:16 PM

Nice cap Surfram
Old 01-20-2009, 04:20 PM

Mega cab bed top, or cap?

Anyone have any pics of a mega cab top?
I can't even find a URL for such a search.
Old 01-20-2009, 04:23 PM

What caps from other make trucks will fit our 3rd gens? I find a lot of used caps on craigslist but none for an 8' 3rd gen.

BTW keep the pics coming.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2009, 07:08 PM

Leer, 100XL. Came with the truck.

Shawn
Old 01-20-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by buggz
Anyone have any pics of a mega cab top?
I can't even find a URL for such a search.
Here ya go. A.R.E. Z series.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:18 PM

Not a topper but looks good and functional too
Old 01-20-2009, 11:58 PM

Those high end shells look sweet. I've got a longbed, I'm also in the market. I like the following in no particular order:

Snugtop XV (Xtra Vision) - Large windows for good visibility, large opening for good ventilation when camping
Leer 100 XL
Snugtop Super Sport

I definately want the frameless rear glass with the single handle. I need to go price them out. I really don't want to spend more than $1500 if I can, but I want it to be right as I plan on driving the wheels off this truck.

I purchased a cheap shell off Craigslist, but it needs to be painted. The windows are really too small, so the visibility sucks. It did demonstrate that I like having the shell.
Old 01-21-2009, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by BroncoAZ
I purchased a cheap shell off Craigslist, but it needs to be painted...
My cap was originally purchased for my white 2004.5 SWB QC. I had it repainted blue for my 2007 MC. Cost $400 to repaint at an auto body shop. Paint matches perfectly. No problems with the repaint, so keep that option in mind.

Old 01-21-2009, 06:55 AM

I could get mine painted for $300 locally. This was my original plan, but I've found that I don't like a few things about the current shell: The windows are about 6' long on the 8' bed, so there are some substantial blind spots. The two locks on the rear glass are also somewhat of an irritation. My current shell is not lined inside. The shell front window is fixed, so I can't clean the glass between the shell and cab. If I were to paint this one and line the inside with automotive carpet I'll have $700 or so into it, but the blind spots will still be there. For the length of time I plan on keeping the truck, I think it's worth it to add an additional $1000 to get something I'll be really happy with for years to come.

I'm sure I can sell my current shell for the $300 I paid for it, which will pad the cost on a new one. If I'd purchased a short bed truck I could find a upper end used shell. Last week I found a Leer 100 QX for $400 for a short bed.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mine is an ARE CH model, with side window/doors. I opted for two lights inside instead of one. I also have the fold-down front window for easily cleaning the back cab window, and no carpet so I could hose it out. I had it painted inside because the white made it too easy to see what's inside. I also had my Bully tailgate handle lock rekeyed to use the same ARE key.

The thing I don't like is there really wasn't a good way to wire the lights (Dodge's fault, not ARE), so I made a module and wired it so they come on with the dome lights when I unlock the doors, or I can use the cargo switch in the cab, or flip a switch on the module in the back. When I bolted it down and got rid of the clamps, I added a U-bolt to run a chain through so I could lock a few things inside.

Pros: The locks do freeze up sometimes, but a lock de-ice takes care of it. There's no rattling, and it's a pretty sturdy cap. All the hydraulic window props still work really well. When I go camping late/early in the season, a small bedroom heater keeps it more than warm enough inside. The side door frames leaked at first, but ARE happily stood by their warranty and fixed it.

Cons: I don't like having two rear locks as opposed to one because I'm in and out of it so often, but was told it's a better setup when I ordered it. And, though I like the side doors, if you have a dog and leave the screens open, the screen material easily looseness up with the push of a nose.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:14 PM

I have the Snugtop Hi-liner. Came with the truck. I love the extra space, but it will not fit into the garage with the topper on.

I bought one of these.
http://www.topcaplift.com/
so I have to carry it into the garage to use it. I was thinking of trading the Hi-lift for a standard hight so that I would be able to back into the garage and lift it right off of the truck.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have one on mine, but I did have one on my 06 Ford Ranger. It was a leer top and I got it from my local Ford dealer. They had a stack of camper tops they took off used trade-ins when the new owner didn't want them. I paid $300 for it and an extra $200 for matching paint. It was half the cost of a new oneand it was in new/perfect condition.

I'd suggest going to your local dealerships and see if they have any that came off trade-ins.

Quick Reply: Lets see those caps one more time.