3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather Steering Wheel "Delaminating"?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Steering Wheel "Delaminating"?

My '06 has 27K and is meticulously taken care of.

In the past month or so I noticed that on the top of the steering wheel it seems like the leather is wearing away. There are 2-3 small areas that are what I'll describe as "pitted" and looks like the outer layer of leather has worn away. I can actually feel these while driving.

Is this a warantable item?

Anybody else have this issue?

TIA
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Mine did it, just at the top, used Lexol at first to try and stop it but it just got worse. Started using window shades but that didn't help.
Never tried to warranty replace as I figure it will just happen again.
There are some nice steering wheel wraps out there, that may be my final solution.

HTH
Old 09-07-2007, 12:29 PM

my steering wheel was coming apart, i recently got it warrantied
Old 09-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
It dosen't matter what make of vehicle it is. This is my biggest complaint of a leather wrapped steering wheel. They all do it over time and it drives me crazy.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
It dosen't matter what make of vehicle it is. This is my biggest complaint of a leather wrapped steering wheel. They all do it over time and it drives me crazy.

I agree after 2 GM's and now 2 Dodge's THEY ALL DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a PITA to deal with. Sounds great though.......... "OH and sir it's even got the LEATHER wrapped steering wheel!"

THERE IS NO REASON THEY SHOULD DENY THE WARRANTY CLAIM. I SAY GO GET IT FIXED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:01 PM

I just tried to get mine replaced under waranty and they denied it saying it was normal wear. I've never had problems with leather wheels in the past. Oh well, I'll try another dearlership pretty soon.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Genos wheel covers are very nice quality and seem to last...so far! I'd get it fixed under waranttee and then cover it.

RJ
Old 09-07-2007, 05:12 PM

I just got a steering wheel cover as it was getting worse on my truck. When I get my next truck even though it'll be new, I think I'll just get a nice cover from the get go since I actually like what I've got (got it from O-Reillys).
Old 09-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I've had mine replaced 4 times before my 3/36 ran out, and it's doing it again. They gave me both styles of the leather wheel, and they were both garbage. I'm gonna see if they will fix it again, (probably not) and get a wrap for it.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:17 PM

mine did the same, i got it warrantied two weeks ago...Leather looks different than before. Not shinny this time. Lets see if it will hold up
Old 09-07-2007, 08:29 PM

The wheel on my 04 is still in good condition. I believe many of the problems are from grabbing the wheel with oil, diesel, or other chemical left on the hands when you grab the wheel. I noticed the I put a lot of diesel on the wheel after fueling, so I use hand wipes if my hand smell like fuel. Just a thought.

Pete
Old 09-07-2007, 08:44 PM
MMMmmmm.... Grits!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Couldn't agree more. Just had mine done last week before the 3/36 ran out.
Had to use a complaint of noise from steering wheel area, instead of the obvious top-peel. I keep a pack of wipes as well and seems to keep it close to new, but it is going to happen.

Chris
Old 09-07-2007, 10:57 PM

I would like to know what you guys are doing to your steering wheels?

I have the leather wrap steering wheel with the Big Horn Package and have not had any problems with mine in over 39,000 miles. I have driven with grease and fuel covered hands along with gloves soaked in #1 Diesel. I used the Turtle Wax's F21 Super Protectant on my dash and steering wheel.

Are all you guys stressed out about something and white knuckling the steering wheel?

Shawn
Old 09-08-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I can tend to get sweaty hands, and always grip the wheel in the same left corner. It started coming apart there and the dealer warrantied it. The guy did ask if I could have gotten solvent on it, but I am very careful about stuff like that and always scrub my hands after changing the oil or whatever.

Also, the last Ford I had for about 10 years, and the leather wheel was perfect when I sold the truck. The wheel on the Ford, though, felt more like natural leather to me, where the Dodge wheel feels like it has some sort of glaze or coating.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:26 AM

If I touch any metal part that's been machined and don't wash or wipe it off an hour later it will have my fingerprints in rust on it. If it's aluminum my prints will be a white powder or with steel it's the red. I think it's the sweat in your hands messing up the leather. Some people tend to be more corrosive than others for whatever reason. I don't grip mine with a death grip but sure enough every leather wheel I've had the color gets worn through and looks awful like I've been sanding on it or something. Luckily though the ram wheel seems to be holding up so far.

Quick Reply: Leather Steering Wheel "Delaminating"?