3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather seat install

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 08:34 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Told yah guys! I knew you could do it! Maybe we can team up and put out a video for our other friends on this awesome site!

Oh yeah, how did you feel making incisions?????
Old 05-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't mind it around the seat handles and power controls. On the other hand the headrests made me a little nervous, but it all worked out fine. They look great.
Old 05-04-2005, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by Dan_K
Have either of you done a headrest yet?
Still waiting on my seats, but the wood paneling came. The directions specifically state "do not install in temp. under 70*." Yesterday barely nudged 70*, and we are in for snow/rain over the next 5 days so I didn't want to risk a bad bond on the tape.
DK
Yep, did them both. The hardest part was getting the covers started. After they were on I put the headrests on the ground with the metal posts facing down. I then leaned on it to compress the foam allowing me to reach under and pull the leather down tight and hook the two ends together. That was the front seats, I have an 03 so none to do on the backseat.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:35 PM

yep, headrests suck
Old 05-04-2005, 08:29 PM

OK, fellas, some pics in the gallery once they get approved.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:02 AM

Here is a quick shot of my fronts:
http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....n-144150-pos-1
Old 05-05-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by EKUgrad
OK, fellas, some pics in the gallery once they get approved.
It looks like you definetly have the charcoal leather. Mine are dark graphite with the puddy inserts and the dark graphite matches the cloth perfectly. That said they look great. Do they look as good in person as the pictures? The fact they're a little lighter will make them cooler in the summer.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After looking at a few of the pics in the galleries on this thread...I'm curious - why do the seats look so wrinkly in the center sections?
Old 05-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Lightman
After looking at a few of the pics in the galleries on this thread...I'm curious - why do the seats look so wrinkly in the center sections?
That was the style I chose. All sorts of flavors. I remember that my 98 with leather came factory with wrinkle look too. I liked the touch..
Old 05-05-2005, 08:46 AM

I got my back seat done yesterday, took 1.5 hrs.
I took a punch, felt through the leather for the holes in the head rest, and pushed the punch through into the center, then took a knife, and opened the hole up 4 ways.
The headrests are a pain to cover, as the male flange is tiny, but I got them done.
The pebble/puddy matches perfectly, I'll snap some pics today.
DK
Old 05-05-2005, 01:35 PM

I wondered about the wrinkles myself, especially when I was deciding who/where to buy from. I personally like the smooth, no wrinkle look and I thought that people were just not pulling them as tight as they could for fear of ripping the material. After I got mine, I learned a couple of things.

1. the wrinkles are actually sewn into the pattern, would not matter how tight you pull them

2. that is probably a good thing

the reason is that, with the wrinkles, there is some built in stretch to the seat covers when the cushions are being compressed by our butts. If they were completely smooth there would be more stress placed on the seams which would probably lead to shortened life of the seat cover. Leather is not very elastic, so the built in excess is probably a good thing.

they do look pretty good, if I do say so myself. I really wanted something darker, but I am happy with them. The seats in particular, but the overall interior, of my 05 is a shade or two darker than the dark graphite interior that I had in my 03. I really noticed it when I took my floormats out of the 03 (which was a pretty good match with the carpet) and placed them in my 05. Big difference.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Headrests were the hardest part, and I lost a bolt to the armrest, other than that simple and straight forward.

Pics:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dmkhnr/album?.dir=46d6
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Heh MAN! That console sure looks familiar! Looks awesome! I think I might get those too. It sure would send the wife over the hill.......
Old 05-06-2005, 08:08 AM

A couple of questions:
You can see in my pic that I have to make an adjustment to both front headrests, the problem I'm having is the male flange is too small to interlock with the female side, did any of you have this problem?
What did you end up doing with the back of the center front seat area, (not the console, but the cushion or seat underneath) The velcro pieces wrap around, then the flap piece just hangs over to cover, there is no way to connect that flap, so does it just hang there?
I had 3 extra pieces. 1-console lid cover, 2, 3, are pieces that I have no idea, they must be for a different seat config, did you have the same pieces?
thanks again for all the help,
DK
Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 AM

On the front seat head rests I used my knee to compress the foam while lining everything up. You have to fold the leather and the male plastic portion over (fold under, where the folded over leather/vinyl portion is the first thing going into the female plastic piece). If you compress the foam it will fit together much easier.

I did not replace the back portion of the center console. I was tired of messing with it by that point and I decided that it looked just fine the way that it was. If it starts to fade or get dirty, or God forbid, rips, I may replace it at that time.

The other two extra pieces may possibly be the rear seat head rest covers? They started putting them in there in 2004. The purpose for them is to help protect passengers riding in the back seat during a rear end collision.

Good luck. The only problem that I had with the entire install (that I was unable to figure out) was with my center console. The arm on the drivers side that attaches it to the bottom seat does not want to rotate well. I am going to try to grease it up this evening, if that does not work I will try something else.

Quick Reply: Leather seat install