3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather seat install

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather seat install

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum but have been lurking around watching the aftermarket leather seat threads. I've seen a few have installed them and wanted to get all my ducks in order before I went ahead with the purchase.

Is there any sowing that I have to do? The cloth headrests look like they are sown on, how do the leather ones install? How do you take the platic post covers off.

I saw that some of you had a problem with the center console, Is there any other tips that I need to do this.

The guy on Ebay who sales these seat covers has been great in answering my questions, but he doesn't know much about the install. I'll buy from him granted I can get these on myself.

thanks
DK
Old 04-23-2005, 05:43 PM
tcr

Dan K, there is no sewing, the headrests fold into a tung and grove type fold over configeration(bad description, I know). It is an easy install, all zippers on the seats. I did have a little trouble w/ the center console, I felt like I needed 4 hands. I have had mine a few weeks now and am very happy, one other guy here has had his for a year and he's happy as well. Auto Leather Inc. is a very good company to order from, very personable and helpful. Get them and let me know if you need any help.
Tom
Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yep, I'm the other guy! Dan, if your looking to get them, get from Auto Leather Inc (aka AliLeather), you won't be disappointed. He kills the competition.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:02 PM
tcr

There he is, sorry nonford I forgot your sig. Hey I found a silicone made by dupont at Lowes, it is for leather, rubber, plastics, vinyl, etc. It waterproofs and protects against UV, I'll let you know how it works.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone know of kits for 2nd Gens?
Old 04-24-2005, 04:07 PM

Thanks guys,
Alileather is the guy that will sell me the kit, in fact he's been more than helpful with answering my questions about the kit. I've been reading your posts for about a month now trying to decide if I should do it myself or pay classic soft trim to install for $1000.
I'm now very confident with my decision to do it myself.
Did you guys get the pebble, or the charcol color, and what color is your truck?
thanks again,
DK
Old 04-24-2005, 04:18 PM

I got the pebble. Here's a shot of them...

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines....n-144150-pos-1
Old 04-24-2005, 08:16 PM

Does the pebble match the top of the armrest? He said the pebble with puddy insert would match perfectly.
DK
Old 04-24-2005, 09:40 PM
tcr

I have the pebble as well, it matches perfectly. I didn't replace the lid/armrest although a leather piece did come w/ it. I figure I'll wait till I screw up the factory cover, I plan to keep this truck a long time.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:14 PM

I ordered them from Alileather today. I got the Pebble with Puddy insert. He too said the installation was a snap, as well as another guy selling these seats on ebay.
Thanks for the confidence boost, I'll let you know how they turn out.
DK
Old 04-25-2005, 07:47 PM

I too just checked these out on Ebay, is this where you got them?, or is there a site i could order direct?

A few questions if you dont mind. Do these covers go OVER the stock covers?, or do the stoclk seats get stripped down first?

I HATE my drivers seat. I can feal the bar that is under the cushion. Under my left thigh, it makes my leg numb after a while. Do you think i could add some extra foam under there before o put the coiver on?

Nonford, nice pics. Did you get pebble because you originally had taupe? Also, with your aftermarket stereo install, what addapter is that, it looks like you have room for CD's under the deck. I have the basic addapter, pic is under members pics

EDIT* Nonford, i looked again at your pics, and i see that in fact you did have taupe, i love the woodgrain trim, how about a heads up on that, where did you get that?
Thx for the help fella's
Old 04-26-2005, 06:35 AM

Mr DodgeDude, thanks. Yeah, I got the taupe to blend with the interior. I was thinking of other colors, but decided to stay with a clean look.

The cloth covers must be pulled off and then the leather put on. You peel these thing like you would pulling off your t-shirt, roll up from the bottom and up. Then reverse the order when putting the leather on. Let the seat do the work, not you.

As far as the bar your feeling, there are a couple things you can do. One, most preferred would be to find a foam insert that is really mash proof and cut out a portion of the seat and insert it with some contact cement. You can really do anything you want to those seats on the underside of the covers and then cover them and no one will see nutt'n, except your butt feels more comfy. I think the leather will help because I beleive the cloth allows more saggage.

The trim I got off this guy on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...970303922&rd=1
I was going to get this, but decided on the burlwood. Don't see him offer it but you may ask him if he can get it or has it.

The insert I got for my stereo I got from Circuit City. I think you can find them at other places too. Found this, but you might want to call them.
http://www.buyreliant.com/scosche/cj1278.htm

If yah need anything else, just pm me. Good luck.

Where in NY. I used to live outside of Binghamton.....
Old 04-26-2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by dodgedude361
I too just checked these out on Ebay, is this where you got them?, or is there a site i could order direct?

You can order direct through Alileather, his e-mail is alinc1@sbcglobal.net.
If you order direct, he'll take the ebay fees off the price. Shoot him an e-mail he usually answers the same day.
DK
Old 04-28-2005, 07:03 AM

Thanks to the positive responses to this thread I ordered mine from alileather last night. All of the info you guys have given has been very helpful. Are there any special tools needed for the install? Are there any tricks that you guys who have installed these can share? How about things not to do? I have never attempted this type of install before, so I'm just trying to be prepared as much as possible before I start.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:38 AM

First tip. Take your seats out. Don't try to install the covers inside the vehicle. You will be performing yoga, and start cramping up and then realize you should take the seats out. The back seats are straight forward. Unbolt, and then remove them it's pretty easy. The front seats, unbolt the four bolts on the floor board, raise your rear seats, and then tip the front seat back. There will be two bolts on each side where the drivers and passanger seat attach to the center seat. This will allow you to pull the seats out individually instead of the whole (bench). You can take it from there. It is easy, just look over how the current covers are on there, and remove them and install the leather. One thing to note, your holes for the head rests and lumbar and power seats. Cut small first and work your way from there. The material will give you room for expansion. In my younger days, I always took off too much . The center seat will be your scare. You do not have to replace the lid part, but the bottom part is held down along the groove of the black plastic inside. There is a bead of plastic around the material that holds it in place. You will need to give it a very good tug to get it out. When I installed mine, I used popsicle sticks to push the material back in. I WAS NERVOUS BUT GOT IT. It took me 4 - 5 hours to do mine the first time. Did the friends in 3 hours. Good luck....

Quick Reply: Leather seat install