3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather Seat and Console Installation on 2006

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather Seat Installation Or What I Learned!

This is going to be a bit long so...forewarned is forearmed!!!!

Hello, new here and this is one of my first posts

I recently bought an 06 Mega Cab diesel dually. SLT interior. It came with the cloth upgraded seats. As I came out of an F250 Lariat, spouse and I wanted leather.

Therefore, I picked up a set of leather front seats and console from an 07 1500. I was reading about seat and electrical interchanges and how the electrical harness has the plugs for the heated seat switches in back of the radio bezel ready for plug in. At least that is what someone stated. The seat power should just plug in is what I read.

Well, the realities are that the plug on the cloth upgrade interior (without heat) is about half the size of the leather seats plug as that plug has the heated seats wiring in it as well (if you get leather with heat, they are out there without heat!). Further, I took my radio bezel off and the only extra plug attached back there is for the sliding rear window on my truck...surprise!!

So, if you're still with me, you'll need to get the larger plug with your new seats and splice that into the truck harness which only has the power stuff from the cloth seats or cut the plug off the leather seats and splice in your plug cut off your cloth seats without heat. I also got the switch panel with the heated seat switches that fits into the radio bezel. Good to go!

What I did learn is that there is more than one harness availabe for these trucks. For instance, I've got an 06 SLT and a friend has an 07 SLT.

When I went to Florida to pick up my leather seats and console set, I got him the same thing in tan that they had for sale. His truck had cloth as well, but he has the exhaust brake doohicky and he has a sliding rear window, both having the switches in the bezel under the HVAC. He did not have heated seats!! When he went to install his seats which arrived today, he's got the large rectangular plug under his seats already, meaning he is plumbed for heat. Which means his connectors to hook up the heat switches were stuck in the dash behind his bezel, basically where my sliding rear window switch stuck though I had none of the other switches. So apparently, there are at least two different harnesses.

I've now spliced in the large rectangular plug under the seats for heat and power and I'll have to hook up my switches for the heat to power and lead the wiring under the carpet to hook up into the plug. Luckily, i've contacted a guy who has prepared a wiring diagram for me.

The simplest way to see, I'm guessing, if you have the right wiring harness already installed, is to look under your driver's seat. If its a smallish square plug, you will have to splice. Large rectangular plug has the wires for the heat and you're good to go. You can't buy the large rectangular plug separately is what I'm told, so if you have the small plug and want to put in the heated seats, you'll need the plug from the vehicle you're getting the seats out of. Wish I'd known that. I had to source it separately as the junkyard I got my seats from still had the truck but weren't interested in getting out there to cut the plug and send it to me!!

Or, you could buy the heated seat kit from Mopar which has the wiring and a set of switches. Further, remember if you are getting factory heated seats, you need the switch panel as well with the switches for heat that sits in the radio bezel!

Seat differences...my cloth seats had three actual toggles in the switch bezel and flaps hanging down below that cover what is below the seats. You probably have the same thing. The buckets from the 1500's are the same seats as the heavy duty trucks, but they have a plastic cover going around the bottom of the seats, no flaps and they have a round oblong switch instead of the three switches on the heavy duty trucks doing the job of the three toggles. I've looked on Ebay and there seems to be no obvious rhyme or reason for which 1500's these were installed in. They fit the heavy duty trucks just fine, but I don't like that plastic wrap on the bottom. I just drove to Durham, NC today to pick up a set of tan leather seats to dye gray and install, that came out of a 3500. They have the flaps and three toggles in the bezel.

One more thing...decide whether you want a power passenger seat. These are tougher to find, but they are out there. Rare, but available.

If you want information on how to dye a set of seats, or redye, please send me a PM and I'll give you a write up on what to get and how its done. I've done a lot of seats, repair or redye and it comes out great according to others whom I have done this for.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 PM

I am going through the same thing and I have a question for you, I have all wiring factory under seat, but pulled radio bezel to install factory heat switches and no wiring that I could find for the seat heat switches?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:48 AM

The simplest answer would be the one that insists there is another factory wiring harness out there. Since I'm not sure about that, can you give some clarification to the following?

When you say you have the factory wiring under the seat, do you mean the wiring that is part of the seat or that comes from under your carpet? If you have the heated seats with the wide rectangular plug on them, does the matching plug come up from under the carpet? That wide plug has the heated seat wires in it. If you have the smaller squarish plug coming up, you need to splice in the wider plug into the harness coming up out of the carpet.

The heated seat switches fit into the bezel as you know. Once you get the bezel off, you would see the plugs for the heated seat switches sitting in the plastic piece behind the bezel ready to be used. You said you don't have that. That leads me to think you don't have the right plug (wide, rectangular) coming up under the seats either. Can you check that? If I'm wrong and you have the wide rectangular plug that fits the seats, then you should have the heated seats switch plugs sitting in back of the bezel. Of course you say you don't...could they be hanging anywhere in that area? Do you have the plug for the sliding rear window stored back there as well?

Of course there's another variable. Are you sure you have the heated leather seats? If the plug coming down under the driver's seat is squarish you don't have that option. They made leather seats like that. You would have the mating squarish plug coming up from under the carpet.

Ralf
Old 12-08-2009, 01:55 AM

do you have a part number for the bezel?
Old 12-20-2009, 11:36 AM

hi btolenti, I don't think you need to replace your bezel. Just need to get the plastic insert that has the cut-outs for the switches, and that scews into the back of the bezel. Those inserts fit into your existing slot and they come with or witout a rear slider hole. Sorry no part no.s for ya.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:53 PM

here is one for you. I had cloth seats, I just received leather heated. My truck had the rectangular plug and the new seats have the squarish plug on them. both seem tohave the same amount of wires????? Does anyone have a diagram for this?