3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Leather or Premium Cloth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leather looks great, but not functional in a hot climate--particularly after you get complaints from your wife getting in after the truck has been a while in the sun. High quality sheepskins are a great option, and I have found when it comes time to sell my vehicle, I can remove the covers and have upholstery that looks new--and impressive to potential buyers and helps get a higher price on resale.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:23 AM

Will the sheepskins rub on the factory cloth and begin to break it down? I had cheaper 1/2 sheepskins and wasn't impressed with them. Maybe the real higher quality ones are better! Who makes the HIGH quality ones?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2005, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of friends have leather in their trucks; in the summer you get burnt legs or buns unless you put some CLOTH on the seat, and in the winter it's cold and takes a long time to warm up unless you have butt warmers or put CLOTH on the seats. Spills are easier to clean up but they require more care over the long run. With the cloth seats in our vehicles we just have the carpet cleaner do the cars once in awhile when he's doing the carpets. Leather seems to get more funky smelling than cloth if you sweat a bit more than regular, and it's also more expensive. So, except for being hot in the summer, cold in the winter, needing more long term care, not necessarily being more durable, maybe stinking more and being more expensive, leather is a better choice :^)
Old 01-01-2005, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by BAJA MAN
Will the sheepskins rub on the factory cloth and begin to break it down? I had cheaper 1/2 sheepskins and wasn't impressed with them. Maybe the real higher quality ones are better! Who makes the HIGH quality ones?

Thanks
Genos garage has them and have read that guys like them. We have used them on four cars now (not Genos) and have had no problems with wear issues. I buy the inexpensive ones for me, the Wife gets good ones for her car. No differnece as far as wear to the factory seats. I have heard though that real inexpensive (back in the 80s vintage) covers that had poor quality dye would sometimes transfer to the factory seat.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:13 PM
Banned

go with the leather dodge uses high quality leather it is very tough and will last
Old 01-01-2005, 06:30 PM

The day after I made my earlier reply about how I really prefer cloth over leather, the wife and I went shopping and spent about $1600 on a leather sofa and chair for the house. Go Figure!
Old 01-01-2005, 07:59 PM

Originally posted by Texcowboy9
The day after I made my earlier reply about how I really prefer cloth over leather, the wife and I went shopping and spent about $1600 on a leather sofa and chair for the house. Go Figure!

I always wanted a leather sofa. The wife doesnt care. They look neat and comfortable plus have that old western ranch look. But having never had one, I am afraid to cut loose with the $ for something that will not be comfortable to sleep on. Oh yea I have slept on the good ole cloth couch plenty of times in front of the woodburner, I am getting sleepy thinking about it.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:20 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

i have the cloth seats in mine. the only thing i didn't want in my truck was leather. i have had leather in almost every car and truck i have had. there isn't really anything wrong with leather but i just like cloth better. just my opinion though. my 04 accord has leather in it so go figure. cloth doesn't seem to get as hot or as cold as leather.

there are a few benefits to having leather though: easier clean up and factory heated seats. now if we could only get factory "cooled" leather seats like some of the Mercedes cars out there.

britt