3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Latest opinions on fuel injection flush

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 05:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Latest opinions on fuel injection flush

With all the injector issues I've been reading about lately, I wondered if opinions might have changed about doing a fuel injection system flush. My truck is going into the dealer tomorrow for an oil service (50K). They recommend a fuel filter and fuel injection system flush (supposedly flushes the fuel rail and decarbonizes the injectors). They charge $99 for just a fuel filter change and an extra $120 for the flush. Is this still considered a waste of money? FWIW, I have no symptoms of injector problems. It would be strictly preventive for me.

Thoughts???
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would tell them to stuff it myself. They'll throw a bottle of seafoam or something in the tank.

They "recommended" a complete system flush when my lift pump quit for the measily price of $695. Then when I declined they noted my file as "client refused recommended service".

Glad my warranty is done.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 bucks to change your fuel filter? Wh don't you do the work your self? You can get a Fleetgaurd 7 mic filter for like 13 bucks, it a VERY ez thing to change.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
99 bucks to change your fuel filter? Wh don't you do the work your self? You can get a Fleetgaurd 7 mic filter for like 13 bucks, it a VERY ez thing to change.
I have one on my bench ready to go in. But, I'm actually thinking of tossing it and ordering one of the Baldwin filters. I just wondered if the flush wasn't such a bad idea. From his description it's more than just a tank additive (and they do that too). But, I think they actually do some kind of pressurized flush. I got the feeling they had to do the filter at the same time. I wonder if I decide to do the flush and bring my own Fleetguard, if they would install it and credit me the cost of the filter?
Old 01-26-2010, 06:27 PM

I couldn't say, all I know is I would do the filter change my self regaurdless if you go Fleetguard or Baldwin.

One of my next thing to buy is going to be the GDP filter setup and start running the Baldwin drop in filters AND the CAT 2 mic filter soon.
Old 01-26-2010, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by bansh-eman
One of my next thing to buy is going to be the GDP filter setup and start running the Baldwin drop in filters AND the CAT 2 mic filter soon.
Me too. Maybe I'll save the money on the flush and use it for that instead! And, buy a couple of bottles of tank additive.
Old 01-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Back before I knew better the dealer talked me into a $300.00 injector flush. It made ZERO difference, and I mean ZERO! However, it did make an real easy $300.00 for the dealer.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:06 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I have one on my bench ready to go in. But, I'm actually thinking of tossing it and ordering one of the Baldwin filters.
If you toss that Fleetguard, please toss it my way!!!

You haven't read the many posts where I told my tale of talking with the Baldwin engineer regarding the Baldwin PF7977. I was looking for an explanation of the single-pass / multi-pass test methods and actual efficiencies and media make-up of filters.

Baldwin states:
The Fleetguard FS19856 is just as good as their PF7977.
There is NO FILTER ON THE MARKET that is 2 micron rated any more. I told the engineer I wanted to install the CAT 2 micron and he stopped me and said the testing that made them 2 micron is outdated and with the new test they must follow they are 5-7 micron JUST LIKE THE PF7977 and the FS 19856.

If you guys have different information please share it. For my Cummins and my warranty by Cummins, I'll run a Cummins filter that Baldwin's own engineering department said is just as good as their own.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lost Lake
For my Cummins and my warranty by Cummins, I'll run a Cummins filter that Baldwin's own engineering department said is just as good as their own.
Wow! Interesting. I guess I'll go ahead and install the one I have. What did the Baldwin guys say about adding the secondary 2 micron filter?
Old 01-27-2010, 05:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NJmurvin,

I would skip the flush and $99.00 filter and go buy a $12.00 bottle of Howe's Meanercleaner, it will treat 320 gallons of fuel, install your own Fleetguard or Baldwin filter and by the time you use all of the Howe's I'm sure your injectors will be about as clean as the $120 flush. As for getting rid of carbon hook up to a 5K or heaver trailer or load 2500 Lbs in the bed and drive it non stop at Hwy speeds for 3-4 hours.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:54 PM

I would skip the dealership doing anything at those prices. Changing the filter yourself, and running a fuel additive regularly such as Power Service, Howes, Stanadyne, etc..., will not only be cheaper, but just as effective.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost Lake
If you toss that Fleetguard, please toss it my way!!!

You haven't read the many posts where I told my tale of talking with the Baldwin engineer regarding the Baldwin PF7977. I was looking for an explanation of the single-pass / multi-pass test methods and actual efficiencies and media make-up of filters.

Baldwin states:
The Fleetguard FS19856 is just as good as their PF7977.
There is NO FILTER ON THE MARKET that is 2 micron rated any more. I told the engineer I wanted to install the CAT 2 micron and he stopped me and said the testing that made them 2 micron is outdated and with the new test they must follow they are 5-7 micron JUST LIKE THE PF7977 and the FS 19856.

If you guys have different information please share it. For my Cummins and my warranty by Cummins, I'll run a Cummins filter that Baldwin's own engineering department said is just as good as their own.
Did the Badwin engineer also tell you that Baldwin is the ONLY filter company using the new specs? No other filter company uses them. Baldwin uses them becuase on some of their filters it makes them look better. Take the Baldwin BF7633. It is sold as a 5um filter (for the 2um (or 4um by new standard) Cat 1R-0750). Per J1985 specs (old, but still widely used and accepted) the Cat is 2um absolute, where the Baldwin is 7um absolute. Gee... ever wonder why they use the "new" specs??

Now lets look at the OE requirements for filters, per J1985.. (probably a good spec to go off of)... The OE filter is 7um absolute per J1985, the Baldwin is 5um absolute per J1985. Same specs the OE filter is 5um at 96% (close, but Baldwin still is a hair better).

I will continue to use the Baldwin PF7977 in my truck, it is a superior filter on the ratings Dodge requires.

Per the new standard, as I have said, the Cat is 4um at 98.7%.. But there is nothing to compare that to, as its not used!

As for the original question. Just use a good additive for a few tanks to clean it out, much cheaper. And as far as the Fleetguard on the workbench, its not worth tossing over 2.7% efficiency at 5um, run it then replace it with a Baldwin.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Did the Badwin engineer also tell you that Baldwin is the ONLY filter company using the new specs? No other filter company uses them. Baldwin uses them becuase on some of their filters it makes them look better. Take the Baldwin BF7633. It is sold as a 5um filter (for the 2um (or 4um by new standard) Cat 1R-0750). Per J1985 specs (old, but still widely used and accepted) the Cat is 2um absolute, where the Baldwin is 7um absolute. Gee... ever wonder why they use the "new" specs??

Now lets look at the OE requirements for filters, per J1985.. (probably a good spec to go off of)... The OE filter is 7um absolute per J1985, the Baldwin is 5um absolute per J1985. Same specs the OE filter is 5um at 96% (close, but Baldwin still is a hair better).

I will continue to use the Baldwin PF7977 in my truck, it is a superior filter on the ratings Dodge requires.

Per the new standard, as I have said, the Cat is 4um at 98.7%.. But there is nothing to compare that to, as its not used!

As for the original question. Just use a good additive for a few tanks to clean it out, much cheaper. And as far as the Fleetguard on the workbench, its not worth tossing over 2.7% efficiency at 5um, run it then replace it with a Baldwin.
No, what the Baldwin engineer said was that the Cummins FS19856 would compare identically to the Baldwin PF7977. He said they were virtually the same. He has tested them I suppose, he sure knew a lot about them, WAY over my need to know. I just wanted him to tell me which was the best. Any price, which is the best? He said they are the same.

I'm not arguing. If you guys want to believe the Baldwin is better, hey, knock your socks off! But call and ask the testing engineer and see what he says.

Only one is made by the engine manufacturer!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Good advice! Thanks.

And to DBLR, great idea on hauling around some weight!! That's a good excuse to get my fifth wheel out of storage and take it out for the weekend. I'll tell my wife it's therapy for the truck (and saving us $$$ on a fuel system flush). I'm sure she'll buy that . . .
Old 01-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DBLR
NJmurvin,

I would skip the flush and $99.00 filter and go buy a $12.00 bottle of Howe's Meanercleaner, it will treat 320 gallons of fuel, install your own Fleetguard or Baldwin filter and by the time you use all of the Howe's I'm sure your injectors will be about as clean as the $120 flush. As for getting rid of carbon hook up to a 5K or heaver trailer or load 2500 Lbs in the bed and drive it non stop at Hwy speeds for 3-4 hours.
x2 on Howes

Quick Reply: Latest opinions on fuel injection flush