3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Last ditch effort to find my "Rattle"

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last ditch effort to find my "Rattle"

I have a rattle really is kind of a chirping that sounds like it is coming from the Extreme Front passenger sidde of the cab. It happens on lightly bumpy roads and anytime the passenger side of the truck hits a small bump. Below is a list of what i have done:
1. taped the door lock indicators on both doors
2. taken the passenger side door off and silicon sprayed all inserts and seams
3. the door handle was touching the door panel so I shimmed it out to where it didn't touch
4. driven with no glove compartment
5. driven with no jack assembly under the seat
6. Silicon sprayed everything I could see with the glove box revoved
7. Removed the top of the dash and silicon sprayed all of its metal clips and around the defrost ducts
8. Placed foam under the top pice of the dash to keep it separated
9. Removed the dash side panel and silicon sprayed everything I could see there
10. Removed the plastic entry guard on the floor, silicon sprayed all of the clips and sprayed all of the plastic electrical connections under the kick panel
11. Silicon sprayed all lines and fittings running into the cab from the firewall.

And I still have this )(*&$!)#($*)( rattle! Is it worth removing the coolant tank on the firewall? What is behind it? Have any of you had a rattle in that area? what fixed it? Any one have a picture of that coolant tank on the firewall? How hard would it be to remove it?

Suggestions PLEASE!
I feel like I am
Old 12-01-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well no real suggestions, but it will probably be something outside the truck, like loose shock cap, wheel bearing, etc. Something completely out of whack with the sound and where you think it is coming from. I have had similar experiences and that was the kind of fix that occured down the road.
Old 12-01-2006, 08:20 PM

Check the left swaybar link end you will probably find the upper ball scoket is loose. You don't even have to raise the truck just use a pry bar between it and the frame turn the wheel all the way to the left for access
Old 12-01-2006, 08:29 PM
Banned

I had the same type noise under my 05 and found out that the factory didn't tighten the bolts in my trac-bar. I'm not saying that this is your noise but its worth a try.

CRIS
Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 AM

I don't know if this will help, but do you wear your seat belt? I know it's a funny question, but mine had a really annoying chirp that I thought was coming from the cup holder/ashtray/dash area. I had tried everything possible to see what that noise was...nothing helped.

I ended up having my wife help me find it when we were driving around....it turned out that the insides of the drivers seat belt was causing the chirp I was hearing. Lubed it up good, and there was no more noise!

Maybe that will help, maybe not. I know how frustrating it is to locate sounds that shouldn't be there.
Old 12-02-2006, 11:35 AM

i had a squeak driving me nuts too and the dealer could never find it!! it eneded up being the silver face plate that surrounds my radio/heat controlls i would have never thought that would make such an annoying noise, my kid found it one day while screwin with my radio.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:29 PM

Question Similar problem

I have a similar clicking noise coming from the drivers side front fender area. I noticed it shortly after I installed my leveling spacers, but I went over ever thing I touched in that install and nothing is loose.

It was bothering me so bad one day that I pulled into a parking lot raised the hood and began shaking the truck. Someone passing by came over and asked me if everything was ok and if he needed to call the authorities. I guess he thought I was having some sort of fit.

It sounds like a screw or something of that nature tapping against the metal of the body but I couldn't locate it. Now I can't do anything about it since my truck is in storage and I am stationed in Japan, but when I get back I am going to go through my truck with a fine toothed comb.

If anyone has any suggestions on either of our problems help would definetly by appreciated.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 96 auto the 4WD level rattles. I know sounds like this can be hard to locate. Do you have an exhaust with clamps or straps or anything that could squeak? I have a squeak outside somewhere too, but it's barely noticeable under cerain conditions, so, I haven't tried to fix it. Sounds like something from the wheels or exhaust. Maybe a warped rotor touching the pads or something. What about your intake? Is that nice and secure? Some people have a hanging filter on the tube that can bounce and stuff.
Old 12-02-2006, 02:30 PM

rattle

my '05 rattle sounded as tho it was coming from under the dash on the passenger side. drove me nutz as i could not find it. my wife's fat nephew got a ride home from me the other day and no rattle, what the - - - - sez i.

that night i found that the jack under the passenger seat had come lose and was making the rattle sound. thank you fat nephew!

if you have not looked at your jack you might.

good luck.

david
socal
Old 03-18-2007, 05:19 PM

Thumbs up Dash rattle

I read in another thread that the trans. fill tube was the culprit and i'll be danged if that wasn't it on mine. The fill tube vibrates against some a/c piping going through the firewall. It looks like they know this as there was some foam pipe insulation on the fill tube at the contact point but it wasn't enough. I bent the fill tube away from the a/c piping a little and that did the trick. Thank goodness. This is my second Ram and the reason I bought it is because I've owned all three and the Dodge is the only one that feels and remains solid and rattle free for life. Hope this helps.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I worked for 4 hours trying to find a noise in a PT Cruiser one day. Ended up that the shaft in the blower motor was bouncing up and down causing a squeak/ fluttering noise when over bumps. wouldn"t make the noise ( or couln't hear it ) with the blower over 3rd speed. Just somthing to think about.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM

I had somthing like that and it turned out to be one of the screws that hold the inside plastic fender well to the fender. I hope this helps. Dan
Old 03-19-2007, 12:09 PM

I have had to tie wrap TIGHT my Tranny filling tube so it wouldn't rattle.

I also needed to Liquid Nails the cover? that goes up under the body right behind the engine (insulation piece). That dropped down about 1/2" and I could hear everything from the front motor, rattles, valves, you name it. Glued that back in place and rattles stopped.

I also have heard about the rubber piece that is up front on the Intercooler (pass side). I have not heard a rattle coming from mine but I did read about someone glueing it or doing something as it would rattle.

Maybe a screw came loose from the HVAC system. A real PAIN to get to as you do need to remove the complete dash. Something fall down inside the top vents? I lost a little flashlight down there while trying to fix my rattles. **** thing was still turned on and I could barely see it from looking down the tubes. But it hasn't caused me any problems yet and I haven't heard it making any noise either. I'm sure the lights have gone out as it has been at least 7 months now.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:16 PM

I chased one of these around for a month - sounded like it was coming from under the dash on the passenger's side. Ended up being the seat slide/adjust linkage on that side, where the front bar/lever/handle attaches to the slide release. The bar is held to the mechanism posts with toothed retaining washers, and one side had pushed out enough to let the lever rattle and chirp. Used a socket just big enough to clear the post, and tapped the retaining washer in, then used a small punch to set the "teeth" into the post - noise disappeared. Worth a 10 second look and a 2 minute fix...
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM

my dads truck was making horrible creaking noise from his nerf bars. they weren't torqued tight enough. just something to think about.

Quick Reply: Last ditch effort to find my "Rattle"