3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Lamp out warning light

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 12:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lamp out warning light

Last January when I was going south in the Minida Pass in Montana my lamp out light came on intermittently for about five minutes and then stopped several miles later it came on again for about ten minutes then the check engine light came on intermittenly I checked every bulb in the truck and fifth wheel and they were all OK so was the oil and coolant etc that night I disconnected the batteries for a while and after I hooked them up I drove over 10,000miles before it happened again. there were no codes on board or with an dealer scanner.When this happened the second time I was not pulling a trailer. Once again I disconnected the batteries and it worked for about 3000miles. Today it happened again and I disconnected the batteries and about 20 miles later it started with the lamp out light and the annoying little bell again there are no on board codes and I have not tried a dealers scanner yet. When this happens you start to pull over the light goes out and everything is as it should be (no burned out bulbs etc, drive another mile and it happens again . start to pull over and it goes back to normal. I should point out the check engine light only came on the once the lamp out light and bell are the problem. Has any one else had this problem
Jim O
Old 07-15-2006, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace the bulbs in the tail lights.I know they are not burned out but a few of us with the 03 have had this problem.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When mine came on one time, I noticed that the tail lights were still working, but a PART of the light filiment was not. In other words, one bulb was working 100 percent...........but the other one had a broken filiment so it only partially lighted up. I think there are some pretty sensitive sensors in these bulb sockets and will trip the "warning light" if it just THINKS the bulb is going out. Anyway, I replaced the bulb and it worked great and the warning light went out. No problems since.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It's a common problem. For some reason it's useually the left rear bulb, but not alway's. I just replaced both.
Old 07-15-2006, 07:42 AM
Banned

replaced mine on the way home fom work, what a pain to get at the bulbs, man why o why did they install them like that, at least a few inches of pigtail so we can work on the dang light, 3057 is the bulb number if anyone else doesn't want to have to tear into the light to find out what it is. The worst part of it being the brake light is ever time you touch the break peddle it sounds the lamp out alarm again...... talk about anoying, that and having a bulb go on a truck less than two years old.......... under 32k miles..........
Old 07-26-2006, 11:06 PM

I took your advice and replaced the tail light bulbs even though the lamp out light came on in the day time when the tail lights were turned off. This did not help I then replaced both head light bulbs I am in Canada and we have daytime running lights, this also did not help. I then went back to disconnecting the batteries and that did not help either but I suddenly realized that I did not have to set my radio stations or the clock after. I then figured it out that I have a booster pack that is plugged into the consul power plug to keep my Koolatron running when the truck is not. This booster pack kept the computor live so when I disconnected the batteries and unplugged the booster pack for five minutes and after I hooked it back up every thing was OK . I have since driven over 1000 kms (600miles ) and the lamp out light has not come on yet.
Jim O
Old 07-27-2006, 01:16 AM

Have yo been running this Kooltron all the time when the Lamp Out lamp would come on?
Old 07-27-2006, 11:29 PM

No I just put it in for this camping trip and the same with the booster pack and after I went through the disconnecting of the batteries with the koolatron and booster pack disconnected I then connected them and drove over 600miles back home with out another light coming on.
Jim O
Old 07-28-2006, 09:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
03. I would have replaced the bulbs and the circuit boards in which they mount in. We've done a ton of them.