3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

lamp out!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 06:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lamp out!!

lately, the last week or so, my lamp out light has been lighting up. some times for a split second, and sometimes for a minute.i figure its a loose bulb or something. it NEVER stays on long enough for me to get out of the truck to see if a light is actually out.

then today the stupid lamp out light came on , and MY LIGHTS WERE OFF, no foot on brake or blinker on normally it does this when my lights are ON.

any one else having this problem? i`m thinking of changing all the rear bulbs, because i KNOW its not a front light, i would notice

ARE these 1158 bulbs?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:23 AM

I believe they are 3057 bulbs.
There is a TSB out for the Lamp Out indicator, for those that have installed a different truck bed and lights.
There is also a TSB out for erroneous check engine lamp lighting up which may also have something to do with your problem
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 AM

My '03 started doing that when I pulled off the fog lights.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Try the "Instrument Cluster Self Test" by holding down your trip odometer button and then turning your ignition switch to "ON" but not run/start. Your instrument cluster (which controls your lighting) will report any trouble codes after the self test in the odometer window. After all trouble codes are reported, a "00 00" will be shown. Post what you find, if anything.

The bulbs for the back are 3057 (both stop/turn and backup) and that's with the cargo box installed. 1156/1157 w/o the box.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Check Here...Mike

http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2003-index.htm
Old 02-11-2004, 06:32 PM

ok, i did the code test and this is what i got. it said" C code", or "code C" then "23 09" then it went to 00 00. not sure what it meens, but any help is MUCH appreciated.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:34 PM

on a lighter note, i didn`t even know that trip odometer thingy was there. i kept trying the test with my OVERHEAD CONSOLE buttons when nothing happened, i found the OTHER trip odometer switch
Old 02-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Chapter President

dodgedude, I've been getting a dinging from the gauges and couldn't get my eyes down before the light went out. I did the self test and got the "23" code too. I was told on the Engine/Drivetrain forum that it is a light switch malfunction. I got all the way up to C Code 2399 before the darn thing reset. I'm going to the dealer Monday to get it checked out. I believe it's just a glitch that needs a reflash...hopefully
Old 02-11-2004, 08:47 PM

The "C Code" has no significance. It's just a part of the Instrument Cluster Self Test. Just like the "00 00" signifies the end of the test.

The "23 09" is a "headlight switch input open circuit". The "09" part of that means the code was set 9 ignition cycles ago. A couple other people have received this same code lately but to be honest I don't know exactly what it means. I assume it means the headlight switch lost its power source at one point but that is just an assumption. You might try a search for "open circuit" on this forum and see what you get.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:47 AM

I wonder if the headlight self-timer has anything to do with it? Did any of you guys with a code 23 leave your lights on after shutting down/leaving your truck? We have a built-in protection circuit that will automatically turn off the headlights after approx. 5 minutes if they are accidentally left on to save the battery.
Old 02-13-2004, 03:59 PM
Chapter President

Bingo. I did that. That may be it. I'll check it out this weekend. It makes sense that the computer would log in a fault code for something it's programed to do...i.e. the courtesy lights . I really do hate this code thing. I can't stop checking to see what's wrong. I'm addicted.
Old 02-16-2004, 05:50 PM

i have an appointment on thursday to get it checked out, i`ll let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:27 AM

Well, here is an update, i brought my truck in for service, they acknowledged that there was a problem , and it`s not a blown bulb due to the fact that the "Lamp out" light is on when all of my lights are off. after some tests they changed the ECU (i think those are the letters, i dont have the paper work in front of me)

I picked up my truck, and sure enough the problem was still there. I brought it back. Now they called DC, and DC said that there getting calls on this , and the`re not sure what it is. they said they cant put there finger on it because it only happens when the truck is moving, which is true, therefore they cant diagnose it DC`s suggestion was a REflash on the instrument cluster, which was performed.

So i pick up my rig once again........well you see where this is going. the darn light STILL illuminates, for split seconds at a time, some times for a few seconds. But every time it does..BEEP ,BEEP ,BEEP, BEEP, BEEP i hear that thing in my SLEEP

So back to the dealer i go, Tech says that DC has no cure right now:He urges me to take my truck back home with me, and that they will call when they hear from DC. so i ask if he can ATLEAST dissable the chime, and of course the answer was no the chime is now intergrated (he thinks, hes gonna check on it) into the computer, and cant unplug it. So i tell him to keep the truck and call DC back to see if they found anything out. he agrees.

I just got a call from them. They have been calling other dealers to see if anyone else has come accross this problem. One dealer said YES, they had a simmilar incedent. What they did was replace the tail light circuit board, and that worked. So as we speak they are changing out the tail light circuit board.

Now i PRAY that this is the end of my ordeal.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:35 PM

OK OK, I can't stand the suspense

Did the circuit board fix your problem?
Old 02-24-2004, 06:21 PM

My lamp light out flickered for about a week, then came on steady, next day the right back stop light quite working, changed out bulb and it's ok for now, going on a week.

Quick Reply: lamp out!!