3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Kwazy -- 235/80R17's on a SRW???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Kwazy -- 235/80R17's on a SRW???

Ok -- Silly question.

The DRW's come with these and they're essentially the same diameter as the stock 265/70R17's (though the ST package comes with the smaller diameter 245/70R17's).

My question is has anyone run the 235/80R17's on their SRW truck? Does it look really dumpy? Will they mount on the 8" factory alloys? I'm looking for the more narrow footprint and less rolling resistence. I also like experimenting.

Just curious as a mental exercise...

Thoughts?
Old 04-06-2007, 11:12 AM

There is more to rolling resistance than just a narrower tire. Tread pattern, sidewall flex, rubber compound all play a part. That being said, my next set of tires will be the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 235/80-17. We shall see what happens.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:53 PM

Question

Originally Posted by nsxt
There is more to rolling resistance than just a narrower tire. Tread pattern, sidewall flex, rubber compound all play a part. That being said, my next set of tires will be the Pirelli Scorpion ATR in 235/80-17. We shall see what happens.
I agree.... Being load range "E", they shouldn't have a ton of sidewall flex. They support around 3050 lbs per tire -- just under what the stock "E" tires do.... As you say, pattern and compounds as well as inflation are factors, I agree 100%.

Handling and cornering as well as dumpy looks are thoughts that came to mind though... Was curious if someone has tried them. I'm so tempted to dump about $650 installed and go to the other extreme just to see what it's like....

Thanks for the reply. Why are you considering it?
Old 04-06-2007, 02:36 PM

Because everything I've read on Tirerack leads me to believe this is better tire for my needs than my factory Michelin LTX A/S, and they are reasonably priced. They are lighter and narrower, and therefore hopefully will result in a little more mpg as well. Even 1/2 MPG is better than none.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:22 PM

I like the idea of a 235 80 17, but did anyone notice that the Michelin in that size is not to be put on a rim over 7.5 inch and our rims are 8 inch. However I also notice that Goodyear has that size in thier Silentarmor tire and they say it can be used on an 8 inch rim.
Things to make you go HMMMMMM????

================================================== =
Old 04-07-2007, 08:53 PM

235/80R/17 are 9.25 inches wide and 265/70R/17 are 10.43 inches wide and they are both the same height.If that helps any?
Old 04-07-2007, 10:19 PM

Their the stock size on the 1st gen's so they should work no problem, but there pizza cutters when it comes to mud though.

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM

They should mount on the 8" rims. I'll let the tire dealer make the call. I might just blow the $650 and see what the "pizza cutters" look on my rig. I really like contrast & will enjoy going back and forth from the 315/70-17's to the 235/80-17's. I'll take some pics if I pull the trigger... I wish I could see a pic of a 3rd gen quad cab short bed 4x4 SRW with them before doing it though.... I keep looking at 3500's DRW's with them (trying to visualize) but it's just not the same visual with the duallys.... Anyway, thanks for the thoughts guys.
Old 04-08-2007, 05:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
235's will fit on a 8" rim. I remember back in the late 70's and early 80's Chevy 4x4 pickups came with 235/75/15's on 8" rally rims.
Just a note but if you're a hardcore off-roader the sidewalls will be exposed to puncture damage due to the wider rim.

MikeyB
Old 04-08-2007, 08:15 AM

The reason I like the idea of the 235 is that you get better traction on snow-packed/icy roads. And...an added benefit should be less rolling resistance and therefore a bit better fuel economy. I'll get lots of chance to try the traction benefit up here and with fuel almost $4.00 US per gallon, every little bit helps. It will be a while before I can try it, but I'm sold on the idea.

================================================== =====
Old 04-08-2007, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by way up north
The reason I like the idea of the 235 is that you get better traction on snow-packed/icy roads. And...an added benefit should be less rolling resistance and therefore a bit better fuel economy. I'll get lots of chance to try the traction benefit up here and with fuel almost $4.00 US per gallon, every little bit helps. It will be a while before I can try it, but I'm sold on the idea.

================================================== =====
The 235's suck on ice and snow. They are too stiff, and the tread is more summer style.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 AM

Goodyear Silent armor is the only goodyear tire I can find that rates a 10 out of 10 for snow traction. That's in the stock 265 and 235. Rates 9 for wet conditions. All the old-timers up here will tell you, the narrower the tire the better in snow. The theory being the less surface touching with the same weight on it the more friction/traction. Haven't searched Michelin yet but I'm gonna for the heck of it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++
Old 04-08-2007, 11:54 AM

Goodyear Silent armor is the only goodyear tire I can find that rates a 10 out of 10 for snow traction. That's in the stock 265 and 235. Rates 9 for wet conditions. All the old-timers up here will tell you, the narrower the tire the better in snow. The theory being the less surface touching with the same weight on it the more friction/traction. Haven't searched Michelin yet but I'm gonna for the heck of it.

Wow. I checked out the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor's on Tire Rack and the customer reviews were amazing. I was going to go with some Firestone Transforce Tires because they were so cheap but these Goodyear's you mention seem to be some really special tires....
Old 04-08-2007, 08:58 PM

That is correct with the smaller size tread and ice or snow. What you said is basically correct. Think of it this way...many people try putting weight in their beds or trunks for extra weight. Why? Because it puts more pressure on the tires for traction, more pressure/weight on the tires equals more psi (weight per square inch). By putting a narrower tire on the vehicle it is essentially putting more psi on a given contact patch and thus increasing traction. It also helps with cutting through snow and digging through ice to get to more traction type surfaces.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:05 PM

Well, Looks like I'll be able to partially fund this experiment with the proceeds from selling my unused Michelin 265/70-17E's. They've been sitting in the garage for about 20 months since I upgraded at 3k miles to these 315/70-17's that I have now. Craigs List Rocks. The Michelins are like new with 3k miles and I dumped them for $300 -- about 1/2 the cost of a set of 235/80-17E's installed. Guy's coming tomorrow night to get the tires with cash (lives around the block) so should have the 235/80's on by the end of the week. Now have to decide between the cheaper Firestones or the (apparently) splended Goodyear Silent Armor tires..... Going to get a quote from the local goodyear shop and see what they can put in front of me..... Hopefully all will go well. Gonna hang onto the 315/70-17's for contrast and when I get bored again... ;-) Need a programmer that calibrates the speedo -- looking at the Superchips Flashpaq as it's about the cheapest that does it on our trucks. I can get one for $355 delivered........ I'm out.

Quick Reply: Kwazy -- 235/80R17's on a SRW???