3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Kore or Lorenz (Leveling Kit)?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Pretty sure stock springs are right at 400 lb. My first set from Don were about 330 lb springs. The set I have now are closer to 360 lbs. Both KORE and Lorenz are over 400 lbs.
pauly, why did you go to the 360 lb springs? i'd like to run don's springs with my 5100's, and am wondering what a good rate would be- i've got superlift springs on now that are 420 lbs. (although don thinks they're stiffer). thanx.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 PM

I wanted a taller spring than the original 2" spring I had, and Don had his prototype spring on his truck that he felt was too tall, so he sold me the prototype to save me some dough, which has around a 360 lb rate. Not sure what rate his production springs have, but that's how I ended up with what I have.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:10 PM

After all these posts I am still not sure what to do.

I do want to add some lift to the front to add clearance for the 315's and bring the front back up due to adding a heavy bumper.

So I am back to what kit to get to achive my goal? I can go with the Kore which is cheaper or the Lorenz 23%. I don't see any point getting the Lorenz 6% because I assume that it is equal to the Kore one size fits all.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by DodgeTruckRam
After all these posts I am still not sure what to do.

I do want to add some lift to the front to add clearance for the 315's and bring the front back up due to adding a heavy bumper.

So I am back to what kit to get to achive my goal? I can go with the Kore which is cheaper or the Lorenz 23%. I don't see any point getting the Lorenz 6% because I assume that it is equal to the Kore one size fits all.
why don't you give sean a call tomorrow, and go straight to the source to get your questions answered. you might want to give don thuren a call as well- he might have something that works for you. good luck
Old 03-05-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
23% Lorenz springs.

Originally Posted by DodgeTruckRam
So what about the Lorenz 23%?
I'm running his 23% on mine. With the camper,they're fine. Minus the camper,too stiff. My truck sits level with an identical Dodge of a friends with Kore fronts. His truck is 1000# lighter than mine.Carli's are much softer. My other buddy's w/Carli's 2.5 system+hydraulic bumpstops and special valving for his camper has a more compliant ride. The bumpstops come into play frequently. Nice setup.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Im partial to the kore spring. I dont have an aftermarket bumper but my buddy does with the kore vr coils. Rides nice and looks level. Cant beat the price now too. How long till the other companies follow suit and lower their prices.
Old 03-06-2008, 05:19 PM

There is an obvious difference in the appearance of the KORE and Lorenz springs. Can anyone shed some light on what is different about them?

Seems like the KORE spring just has a tightly wrapped section to make up the extra ride height, but really isn't functional for travel otherwise. Whereas the Lorenz spring has functional travel throughout.

ben
Old 03-06-2008, 05:48 PM

My bumper is closer to the 300# range and dropped the front of the truck for sure.

Thanks for the help with this Lorenz

armourbl bring up a very good question. Why is the Kore spring so tight at the top?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Kore coils.

Originally Posted by putnam
Im partial to the kore spring. I dont have an aftermarket bumper but my buddy does with the kore vr coils. Rides nice and looks level. Cant beat the price now too. How long till the other companies follow suit and lower their prices.
My Kore front springs beat me to death on my '99. I can't say what their present offering yields. I've ridden in Carli's 2.5 setup on a 9500# '07 and it's very compliant. My Lorenz springs are stiffer,yet yield a good ride too. Kore's leveling kit offering pricewise is hard to beat. I think they're getting out of the leveling business.
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 AM

i think from stiffest to softest, it goes kore, lorenz, carli, thuren. the softer the spring, the more important your choice of shocks become.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by chipmonk
has nothing to do with being an expert (or being sarcastic instead of just saying you were incorrect), but giving info that's nowhere near accurate to someone looking for info to make a good choice. not to mention making a claim about sean's products resulting in poor ride quality, which is untrue. if you busted your butt starting and running a company like sean, don thuren, or mike (lazarsmith), you wouldn't want people making up info on your products, or how they performed.
Perhaps you should check your info before throwing out spring rates. Funny how Sean's posts didn't last long.....I clicked from page 2 to page 1 and back and they were gone.

I know within a few pounds what each fabricator runs for coil rates. I've driven or ridden in trucks equipped with each system, with the exception of the KORE "Technical Series". I know how they ride. Ride quality is a subjective thing.....until you ride in something better, you'll think your ride quality is great. Especially if you sank a boatload of dough into your system.

As far as making up info about someone's product who has "busted their butt" to start and run a company.....there's a huge back story that you have no clue about. I support the guys that develop their own product, test and refine. I have no use for a "manufacturer" who obtains competitors' products by proxy so that he can copy them.

OEM coil rates vary by tag number, but most are in the mid 400 range. Taking the median rate of around 440, you're looking at less than 30lbs difference for a "6%" spring. Not something the average guy is gonna notice. So let's say for arguments sake that the rate is 470, which is less than 500 (like Sean said). The 6% coil only has 1/2" more free height than the OEM coil, but results in +2" ride height. The math doesn't add up. Based on my thumbnail calcs (knowing the rough corner weight of a 3rd gen quad cab), a 440 coil will compress about 4.3". A 470 will compress a hair more than 4". Difference= about 1/4". Where's the +2"? Is it hiding in that 1/2" of additional free height?

We can settle this once and for all.....

Anyone who has a coil from any manufacturer that's not on the truck, measure the free height (height of coil sitting on the floor) and post it. Then put it on the truck and measure the length of the spring at ride height. Post it. We can work the numbers backward to determine the coil rate......
Old 03-07-2008, 10:29 AM

Conrad,

Have you weighed your Mega yet? Mine is a pig. I'm guessing sprung weight is nearly 1000 lbs more than a quad.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just ordered the KORE kit... $335, could not pass that up!!! Hopefully it won't be too stiff on the Mega.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by essgeetee
I just ordered the KORE kit... $335, could not pass that up!!! Hopefully it won't be too stiff on the Mega.
essgeetee,

I just ordered the Kore kit last night as well. Since you are close to me want to do an install party? Are you planning on installing it yourself?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Conrad,

Have you weighed your Mega yet? Mine is a pig. I'm guessing sprung weight is nearly 1000 lbs more than a quad.
That's about right....I figure about another 200-300lbs on each front corner.

You haven't left yet????

Quick Reply: Kore or Lorenz (Leveling Kit)?