3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Kore Hp Series Vs Lorenz Bilstein Leveling System

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an '03, 3500SRW, 4X4 & was looking for shockswhen I decided to try a mild suspension system. At the time, the Lorenz Bilstein 5100 system seemed to be what I was looking for.

My truck never "leaps tall buildings in a single bound". The most aggressive driving it sees is on forest roads up in NE Arizona (White Mtns.). It. also, tows a 25', 7000 lb. travel trailer. Just finished a 3600+ trip up to the Pacific NW.

So far, I have no complaints about this system. Works well, for me. The one thing I've noticed is that the speedbumps, in my neighborhood, would cause the stock suspension to bottom-out at 10 mph. I have hit the same bumps at 20 mph. & have never bottomed-out the Lorenz suspension. The truck rides comfortably, for me.

Since I'm not very mechanical but, wanted to try to install the system, myself, I had to call Sean a number of times. He was always courteous & helpful after the sale. I've been happy with what I purchased.

Joe F.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:58 PM

I remember looking at his 5100 system before, but his site doesn't show it anymore, he only lists the shocks and springs separately.

Which of his springs do you have, the 2" 6% over stock ones?
http://lorenzindustries.com/products_coils.html
Do you guys think these trucks need stiffer front coils or you think the variable rate ones are better?

They're pricey considering you can get the springs, sway bar blocks and 5100's for about the same price.

I got my H2's yesterday so the leveling kit is next on my list.

(BTW, there's a air of Lorenz springs in the classifieds right now.)
Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
I remember looking at his 5100 system before, but his site doesn't show it anymore, he only lists the shocks and springs separately.

Which of his springs do you have, the 2" 6% over stock ones?
http://lorenzindustries.com/products_coils.html
Do you guys think these trucks need stiffer front coils or you think the variable rate ones are better?
He has the 5100 system listed still, its under "suspension systems"
http://lorenzindustries.com/kits_bilstein_5100.html

The plush ride IR coils seem like the ticket to me, soft in the initial few inches of travel and then ramping up to prevent bottoming... but they are a newer thing with Lorenz I believe, not too sure how many guys have them.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:02 AM

My bad, I missed the "suspension systems" link.

I was thinking of this one:
http://lorenzindustries.com/kits_bilstein_leveling.html

I would go for the Kore HP over the 5100 but really I don't want to do anything to the rear other than shocks. I bought a 1 ton for towing and carrying a load, I can accept that it's a little stiff back there and I've read people on here regretting going for the mini packs, they say to bite the bullet and go for the full rear springs.

What you gonna do chopper?
Old 01-02-2009, 12:03 AM

I am looking for a kit that will lift enough to accomodate 35's and am able to rock crawl down some heavy lava field trails (see my pics). I have also considered the 37 BFG KMs.
The 315's worked well, and now that they are ending thier service life, I want to go to a bit bigger tire and just a bit more lift just in case I get in muddy situations in the mountains and have to gun it. Had a few bottom outs off road with the BFG 315s. Not too bad though. I also tow a 7500lb boat and do not want to sacrifice safety/towing. I am leaning towards the Kore kit (again). For the price, it seems what I want. Anyone in similiar situation with a kit installed? Opinions?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:56 AM

I am still waiting for a reply from Thuren, but I am leaning towards getting the KORE HP front kit, keep the rear springs stock and add 1" spacers and Bilstein shocks. Then get Thuren's track bar and steering stabilizer.

This should keep the factory towing/hauling capacities and provide the lift I want with the front axle still centered.

Any thoughts on this?

Tobin
Old 01-02-2009, 08:17 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Tobin
I am still waiting for a reply from Thuren, but I am leaning towards getting the KORE HP front kit, keep the rear springs stock and add 1" spacers and Bilstein shocks. Then get Thuren's track bar and steering stabilizer.

This should keep the factory towing/hauling capacities and provide the lift I want with the front axle still centered.

Any thoughts on this?

Tobin
I've had great luck w/my Lorenz setup,but the Kore leveling or HP systems are a bargain. He makes his money on s&h as there couldn't be any profit in those entry level systems at that price. He doesn't cut his dealers any slack on those two systems as the margin is so tight.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
My bad, I missed the "suspension systems" link.

I was thinking of this one:
http://lorenzindustries.com/kits_bilstein_leveling.html

I would go for the Kore HP over the 5100 but really I don't want to do anything to the rear other than shocks. I bought a 1 ton for towing and carrying a load, I can accept that it's a little stiff back there and I've read people on here regretting going for the mini packs, they say to bite the bullet and go for the full rear springs.

What you gonna do chopper?

Well, I am still waiting on Don Thuren to get back with me. We played phone tag at the beginning of the week. I tried not to bug him on New Years Eve and New Years Day. I dropped him another e-mail today. I would like to see what he has to say before I make up my mind.

I have also heard regrets of the rear mini-packs. So that was another question I was going to ask Don Thuren. I had thought about doing the front leveling kit and then just buying complete rear spring package from Carli? Or possibly just make some spacers and buy shocks? I have heard that Carli's rear spring kits was one of the best ones on the market?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tobin

Any thoughts on this?

Tobin
That's what I'm thinkin as well, except for the spacer in the rear. If you bring the front up with a leveling kit why would you want to raise the back again? I want it to sit level.
I already have Pac Brake airbags and an Airlift wireless controller to keep the rear up when it's loaded.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

If I just want a smooth ride over rutted and pot-holed roads, will the Bilstein 2" shocks be enough? I don't plan on going off road... I'm going more of a pro-touring route, as the muscle car guys say.

I see you have the Lorenz DP leafs... I want to get his Bilstein system with the "plush ride" coil option and the DP leafs out back, and then a track bar. Will this fit what I am looking for?
That should fit your ticket nicely! Do you do alot of heavy towing, or do you frequently carry alot of weight in the bed?

--Eric
Old 01-02-2009, 07:59 PM

Sorry, OT but for anyone that's been trying to get in touch with Don...I had a brief chat with him this afternoon and sounded like he's been having a lot of fires to put out the last week or so.

Keep trying.

-Mike
Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM

Avoid rear spacers they will add to the likelyhood of wheel hop

Bob
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 PM

I installed the Lorenz 5100 package with 6% springs. Just prior to that I had put on a Ranch Hand bumper and I noticed a considerable change in the front end after the Lorenz kit was put on. I love the ride of my truck and have about 20,000 miles on since the install. I don't expect it to ride like a luxury car since it is a Heavy Duty Truck, but the wife and kids don't complain about the ride. Sean was more than helpful during several phone conversations.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:26 PM

Thuren's Input

After speaking with Don, it seems as though he is familiar with the pricing Kore is advertising. Don said that it is going to be hard to beat the price of th HP Kit. He likes Carli's springs and actually buys them for some of his customers. However, for the price the Kore kit is a good alternative at alomost half the price of the equivalent Carli Kit. He did say that the Bilsteins will only provide a small ride improvement over stock. Don feels that you would realy notice a soft ride over rough terrain with properly set up KING shocks. (Which he sets-up and sells). Don strongly recommends that you upgrade the track bar with any of these kits. Among the set-ups I inquired about the following is what Don Thuren recommended:

Best Set-up = Carli Springs with properly set up KING shocks
2nd Best Set-up = Kore Springs with properly set up KING shocks (Really good set-up and will have a really smooth ride)
3rd Best = Carli Springs & Bilsteins (slightly better ride over stock)
4th Best = HP Kit from Kore

Maybe not in these exact words, but Don pretty much said that he would stay clear of products from Lorenz. He said that the quality is better with Carli and Kore. I am not trying to put down the product from Lorenz, I am just reporting my interpretation of the comments made by Don.

I am left with the feeling that your ride quality is going to come from the shocks and a properly set-up suspension geometry (ie. track bar and sway bar links or spacers)

I think that I am going to go with the Kore HP Kit and a Thuren Track Bar for now. Once I get more cash saved up I believe I will invest in the King Shocks and the Full Rear Leaf Set from Carli.

Last edited by Chopper_Bob; 01-04-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: I mistakingly wrote Fox when I meant to write King
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM

Interesting. Thx for the info. Seen how the economy is right now. Kore might be the way to go.

Quick Reply: Kore Hp Series Vs Lorenz Bilstein Leveling System