3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

KM2 Balancing??

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KM2 Balancing??

I just got a new set of KM2's on my truck in 285's and they shake like hell. I know they are a mud tire but these are bad. Cruising down the highway they will practically shake change out of the ask tray. I took it to a different tire store and they rebalanced the tires and said its normal for them to shake. They spun one on the machine while I was watching and it was like the tire was not round and had a high spot on it. Anybody else having probs with balancing or is it just me? Love the look but am getting frustrated. Also what psi would you guys advise running? I think the receipt from where I got em mounted said they put 50 psi in all but I havent tested em myself due to the -10 temperature and 3 feet of snow.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:22 PM

They should not shake at all. I've mounted and balanced two sets myself and they were fine.

Hard to know what the real problem is, but I bet it's not the tire.

Maybe the way they have your wheel coned up on the balancer?
Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 PM

Tires can have factory defects. I had a set of Toyo Open Countrys on my 2500HD. From the moment I got above 35mph they shook like crazy. I had them re-balanced 2 more times and they never did stop shaking. I had them re-mount the tires 180° from where they were originally,no difference. Put the truck on the lift and put it in gear. You could see the tires wobble as they went round.

Pulled them off and put a different set on,the shake was gone.

The Toyos (normally excellent tires) were a bad set,it happens.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:14 PM

I have a set with about 10k on em, no shake at all. I will add that they do have some weight added to balance them out, but there is no shake. Seems like there is more weight on the H2's I just put on to balance than when this same set was mounted on my Weld wheels.....

Running 65psi up front, 52psi out back
Old 12-24-2008, 09:35 AM

What should be my coarse of action? There was absolutely ZERO shake with the old tires. And the place I got em from (discount tire) said its normal for big truck tires to shake so they are not going to stand behind them it seems.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Pikeman
What should be my coarse of action? There was absolutely ZERO shake with the old tires. And the place I got em from (discount tire) said its normal for big truck tires to shake so they are not going to stand behind them it seems.

Tell them the condition is unacceptable and you want them to remedy the situation. Basically you need to put your foot down. Don't be an jacka$$ though.

If the store manager won't take care of it,ask him for the district manager. If the DM won't take care of it,ask for the regional manager. Work your way up the ladder. People generally don't like getting their butt chewed.

I'd be surprised if the store manager didn't take care of it. All my dealings with Discount have been positive.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

Sounds like you got blems. I have over 40K on my KM2's, they've only been balanced once, and they are smooth as a baby's butt
Old 12-24-2008, 09:02 PM

Mine also took some weight to balance, but it rides great for a MT. I am running 65 psi in the front and back.
Old 12-25-2008, 04:10 PM

Location: Texan living in the eastern settlement known as Georgia
Let them play their balancing game on the Roadforce machine and if that doesn't work, have them replace them. Discount Tire replaced 2 of my original BFG's with about of a third of the tread gone through all their balancing acts.

Sounds like a manufacturers defect to me as well. Gripe nicely up the line and they should take care of you. Remember, their profits are down too, so it may take more work and patience on your side.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Pikeman
I got the exact same runaround from Discount Tire on my 285-75-16 KO's on my '99. One tire took 10 oz. of weight to balance. The vibrations started and ended with mounting of BFG's,then dismounting of same. I went with Toyo M-55's on that truck. Result: smooth as glass. I e-mailed BFG about my problem and their advice was to let Discount handle it. I do know of a guy here who got a bad Toyo,but he was stuck with it as it was an internet sale. He's running 285-75-17 Toyo MT's now,purchased through a local company. Zero problems. Toyo offers a 30 day guarantee and backs the installer up. The Toyos are mildly siped for wet weather also.