3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
The Deer Union has stated publically for years they will not recognize the deer whistles as a warning. There has been much debate amount the deer union and it's members, but when the vote was counted the measure was voted down.

The best advices is to scan the side of the road for deer eyes at night, and for deer during the day. If you see one, get on the brakes. There are usually more than one around and they will take off right infront of you. Deer suicide's are on the rise.
Good one! And, no the deer whistles don't work. Any that are accustomed to traffic and that would normally just stay put, will just get scared with them things and run out in front anyway. So, basically it would likely be your own fault for causing the animal to run into your path. Besides, after one bug, they're useless, unless you stop every two miles to clean them out.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Geico266
The Deer Union has stated publically for years they will not recognize the deer whistles as a warning. There has been much debate amount the deer union and it's members, but when the vote was counted the measure was voted down.

The best advices is to scan the side of the road for deer eyes at night, and for deer during the day. If you see one, get on the brakes. There are usually more than one around and they will take off right infront of you. Deer suicide's are on the rise.
Good one Geico!
Old 09-11-2006, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tiara3100
Bambi decided to commit suicide by running out in front of me. Its amazing how fast they come out of the woods and how far they fly when you hit them.
When the cop showed up, the damm deer was still kicking, tough little sucker. Dragged the deer into the woods to let nature take its course....
With a little help from a larger steel pry bar, my truck was still drivable.
You could've used the pry bar to give mother nature a helping hand...
Old 09-11-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Deesil
I'm down here in Florida and we have a lot of deer down here but they are the size of chihuahuas so they don't pose much of a threat to my bumper, the last thing they will see would likely be my differential, which shoulld handle them with ease. Hell, if I can find a good size puddle on the way home I probably wouldn't even have to hose it off.
HA! ROTFLMAO!
Old 05-17-2007, 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Jim Dynomite;1123620]
Originally Posted by Festus

Hey, isn't that Clark Griswald's " Wagon Queen Family Truckster " from that Chevy Chase movie, Vacation?

...................Jim
Holy big behemoth bumper, Batman!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Smaller version of a cow pusher from a train should work wonders!! Wouldn't even have to gut it before tossing it in the back of the rig and taking it home fer supper
I second that one ....still kicking , should've thrown it in back ,atleast you know it's fresh

chris
Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Banned

Really! This pic was taken after one cow moose at ~40 km/h, and two deer at about 110 km/h. Not one the same day of course! How much damage do you see? $1280.00 my cost. My deductible is $1000.00. I can't see cheaper when you include down time.
My old man has what looks to be about the same exact brush guard on his '99...he put it on there not a week after he bought it and he stands FIRMLY by the "need" to have them opinion. We live in a really curvy, mountainous area of southwestern Virginia and pull goosenecks full of cattle on a VERY regular basis...dad's whole look on it is this...you can get a stout brush guard on the front of your truck and not have to worry about plowing into a cow/deer, etc with a load behind you, or you can hit the animal without it and pay big time for damages IF you hit one (cattle do SERIOUS damage at decent speeds to vehicles) OR you can have a knee jerk reaction, slam on the breaks, jack-knife your load, injuring/killing cattle or even worse...yourself...I tend to feel the same way about the brush guard and when I go home, will have one on my truck as well.

P.S. My father has hit 9 deer and one bear in the 8 years that he has owned his truck...call it bad luck, but that would add up to a LOT of money in body work/broken radiators, etc not to mention the loss of a work truck for a BUNCH of added up days...I think it's paid for itself a FEW times...
Old 05-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Duallydog
Or another option is Southwest Fabricators. Talk about solid. in between the grille guard mounts on the replacement bumper is another layer that's the next size thicker. You could be in one heck of a wreck and the truck would be totaled behind it from the sudden stop and the bumper would be alright.

Im on my third SW fabricators bumper I've had them on the last three trucks
1. 97 dodge= deere at 75 no damage.

2. 2006 Ford =2 deere 1 at 65, 1at 80, Long story short car hydroplaned traffic stopped on I 210 south around Lake Charles came over the peak of the bridge. Unable to stop rearended the stopped traffic totaled an 03 chevy 1/2 ton and did $23,000.00 worth of damage to a yukon denali. I had red paint on the bumper. When the trooper showed up he asked me if I saw what happened wanted me to fill out a witness report and was free to go of course I told the truth and showed him the red paint on the bumper he couldnt believe it. It rocked the bumper back about three inches at the top I hooked a chain on to it and pulled it straight with a trackhoe.

3. 2007 Dodge 1 deer at 65.

Bumpers cost me $750.00 In my opinion its way cheap insurance the wreck in Lake Charles would have cost me at least two weeks in a rental if not longer not to mention my deductable I will not have a truck without one. I dont think you can afford not to buy them.

You can see some pics here http://s179.photobucket.com/albums/w312/tbarbee/
Old 05-18-2007, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by $oC@l CTD
My old man has what looks to be about the same exact brush guard on his '99...he put it on there not a week after he bought it and he stands FIRMLY by the "need" to have them opinion. We live in a really curvy, mountainous area of southwestern Virginia and pull goosenecks full of cattle on a VERY regular basis...dad's whole look on it is this...you can get a stout brush guard on the front of your truck and not have to worry about plowing into a cow/deer, etc with a load behind you, or you can hit the animal without it and pay big time for damages IF you hit one (cattle do SERIOUS damage at decent speeds to vehicles) OR you can have a knee jerk reaction, slam on the breaks, jack-knife your load, injuring/killing cattle or even worse...yourself...I tend to feel the same way about the brush guard and when I go home, will have one on my truck as well.

P.S. My father has hit 9 deer and one bear in the 8 years that he has owned his truck...call it bad luck, but that would add up to a LOT of money in body work/broken radiators, etc not to mention the loss of a work truck for a BUNCH of added up days...I think it's paid for itself a FEW times...

Impossible for your Dad to have the same one because I dsigned it, and a buddy built. One off design and manufacture. That bumper was sold to a DTR member from Quebec when I sold my '98.

Yep, won't own another truck without one.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:27 AM

Another vote for Ranch Hand!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:31 AM
Banned

Impossible for your Dad to have the same one because I dsigned it, and a buddy built. One off design and manufacture. That bumper was sold to a DTR member from Quebec when I sold my '98.

Yep, won't own another truck without one.
Funny that you say that because his buddy designed his! They just look VERY similar is all I was meaning to say, except his bumper part doesn't have any holes cut for fog lights...he just installed KCs. Think he said that it weighed in excess of about 300# and was made from 1/4" stainless...I don't know the details, but I will try and get him to take a picture...crazy.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Having lived in Texas we learn some fun things. . .typical cost for a car bambi meeting $2300 for year 2005. So a nice ranch hand bumper will be quite a bit less than that so unless you have a super low deductable it is worth it if you drive through bamabi country often.
Old 05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
buckstop.biz. They have great bumpers and they actually look good too. 1/4 in plate, better have a floor jack and 2 other dudes helping you out. I don't like the looks of the Ranch hand. you drive it tx and EVERYONE has them. Someone got rich on that one. My buddy in Montana had one on his CTD and hit a deer and it wasted the bumper.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The best advices is to scan the side of the road for deer eyes at night, and for deer during the day. If you see one, get on the brakes. There are usually more than one around and they will take off right infront of you."

I agree, and slowing down in areas with a lot of deer, cows, etc.

Also, the last thing these trucks need is more weight up front.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:01 PM

id rather hit a deer than an angus this was at 25 mph and a mile from home at night in the rain $1800 from their insurance fixed it alot better
main reason the mega has road armor on it
Attached Thumbnails Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector-j3.jpg   Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector-jeep.jpg  

Quick Reply: Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector