3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector

While driving home this weekend towing my 9,000Lb. Travel trailer, Bambi decided to commit suicide by running out in front of me. Its ammazing how fast they come out of the woods and how far they fly when you hit them.
After pulling over and calming the wife, the baby and the dogs down, I went to survey the damage to my truck. Pushed in the passenger side bumber, grill, light, and other various parts . So I called the local police and had them come out and file a report for my insurance. When the cop showed up, the edite by admin deer was still kicking, tough little sucker. Dragged the deer into the woods to let nature take its course....
With a little help from a larger steel pry bar, my truck was still drivable.

Now, Heres my question: Who Makes a bolt on deer deflecting type device that will let me keep my stock bumber?
I like the look of my stock black truck and really dont want to hack it all up. But I drive alot in deer country and it's got to be cheaper to put a deer deflecting type device on the truck rather then make insurance claims.
Suggestions???
Old 09-10-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ranchhand makes a massive bolt on grill guard.

MikeyB
Old 09-10-2006, 09:27 PM

Smaller version of a cow pusher from a train should work wonders!! Wouldn't even have to gut it before tossing it in the back of the rig and taking it home fer supper
Old 09-10-2006, 09:31 PM

Look on the internet for Diamond B. They make them in my town, darn stout bumpers!!! You can either get a full replacement, or just the grille. My friend has the grille and was a little toasted one night on his way home, hit a mph sign and no damage anywhere. People in these parts swear by them!!!
Old 09-10-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It's that time of year. The rut is starting.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:38 PM

Deer Guard

Any bolt on brush or grill guard when it meets a deer at highway speeds is gonna get wasted. The only thing that will withstand a deer impact would be a full bumper of no less than 1/8" steel and that could even bend but would offer some protection. And for the money it would cost it would be cheaper to play the odds. Good luck and keep alert.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:40 PM

I have the Ranch Hand grille guard. Took out a 250# buck at 60mph with it in April. The hit was a little off center, to the right side. I pulled over, got out expecting the worst, and could not believe my eyes, no damage whatsoever! I did have to clean off all the chunks of hide, slober, and blood. My bambi was not kicking when all was said and done. It has paid for itself already. I like the full front bumper a friend has one, very nice. I opted for the grille guard since it seemed pretty solid, I have the Ranch Hand full rear bumper with the 10" drop also.

CD
Old 09-10-2006, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by msatow
Any bolt on brush or grill guard when it meets a deer at highway speeds is gonna get wasted. The only thing that will withstand a deer impact would be a full bumper of no less than 1/8" steel and that could even bend but would offer some protection. And for the money it would cost it would be cheaper to play the odds. Good luck and keep alert.

Really! This pic was taken after one cow moose at ~40 km/h, and two deer at about 110 km/h. Not one the same day of course! How much damage do you see? $1280.00 my cost. My deductible is $1000.00. I can't see cheaper when you include down time.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:38 PM
Chapter President

Haven't hit anything with mine yet other than birds and bugs but I have hit curbs when parking. I would have a rolled bumper now if it wasn't for my replacement.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by msatow

I agree with msatow that it would be better to have a full replacement bumper. If you drive in Deer Country, why take a chance with just a grill guard? I wouldn't spend the money on replacing a stock bumper (they are way to flimsy). I'd suggest a Buckstop, Road Armor or Ranch Hand full replacement if you can afford it and can live with the extra weight.

This is my RH Front End below. So far no deer have met it's path, but im sure it will happen eventually.

Old 09-11-2006, 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=Festus;1123485]

Hey, isn't that Clark Griswald's " Wagon Queen Family Truckster " from that Chevy Chase movie, Vacation?

...................Jim
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^^ thats funny I think it is!!
Old 09-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Chapter President

Or another option is Southwest Fabricators. Talk about solid. in between the grille guard mounts on the replacement bumper is another layer that's the next size thicker. You could be in one heck of a wreck and the truck would be totaled behind it from the sudden stop and the bumper would be alright.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:50 AM
Muted User

I'm sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I'm down here in Florida and we have a lot of deer down here but they are the size of chihuahuas so they don't pose much of a threat to my bumper, the last thing they will see would likely be my differential, which shoulld handle them with ease. Hell, if I can find a good size puddle on the way home I probably wouldn't even have to hose it off.

Now that I've given ample reason for my ignorant question, here it is: do those deer whistles work? Don't they have some electronic countermeasures for deer out now that (supposedly) keep deer from bounding out in front of you on the highway? I know they make them for motorcycles but I can't say I have any experience with them or even know anyone that has. Does anyone here use them on their truck or bike that has real world experience with them?
Old 09-11-2006, 10:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Deesil
I'm sorry in advance if this is a dumb question, but I'm going to ask it anyway. I'm down here in Florida and we have a lot of deer down here but they are the size of chihuahuas so they don't pose much of a threat to my bumper, the last thing they will see would likely be my differential, which shoulld handle them with ease. Hell, if I can find a good size puddle on the way home I probably wouldn't even have to hose it off.

Now that I've given ample reason for my ignorant question, here it is: do those deer whistles work? Don't they have some electronic countermeasures for deer out now that (supposedly) keep deer from bounding out in front of you on the highway? I know they make them for motorcycles but I can't say I have any experience with them or even know anyone that has. Does anyone here use them on their truck or bike that has real world experience with them?
The Deer Union has stated publically for years they will not recognize the deer whistles as a warning. There has been much debate amount the deer union and it's members, but when the vote was counted the measure was voted down.

The best advices is to scan the side of the road for deer eyes at night, and for deer during the day. If you see one, get on the brakes. There are usually more than one around and they will take off right infront of you. Deer suicide's are on the rise.

Quick Reply: Killed Bambi tonight.....Need Deer deflector