3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Key Trick?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Key Trick?

I saw a video of a guy with a 3rd gen dodge truck, auto, and he started the truck, gently turned the key back a blonde one until it clicked and then you could here a chime from the truck. I tried it on our work truck, and it works, but I have no idea what it does. When I did this, the e brake and abs lights up, and goes away and thats it. Does anyone know what this does. It was a 30 second clip and it doesn't say why or what it does. Any Ideas?
Old 03-22-2006, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think this is the trick to disable the speed limiter on the gas powered Rams.

MikeyB
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 AM

Here's the video

http://media.putfile.com/keytrick
Old 03-22-2006, 01:27 PM

Well, of course I had to run out during lunch and test this feature out. Heck, it might be a FREE mod and everyone loves those.

Sure enough, start truck, turn key back a tad and brake lights come on and chime dings at me. Lights go out and away I drive like normal. Head out on the highway and let it go. Well, these trucks are just amazing I think. I forgot how smooth they are in the triple digits. But, I was right at 109, 3100 rpm and it wouldn't go no further. I really don't think it was because of this key trick. I feel it was more of a defueling thing since I am still stock. (maybe a heavy fueler might tell if it does help break the speed barrier)

But I did notice that I now have a AC code on the cluster test. That relates out to 'ABS didn't get message' or something along that line.

I also tried having the key in the normal RUN mode while driving down the road. Turned it back a little bit to get into this NEW mode and all my gauges stay working but speedo went to ZERO. Turned it back to normal RUN and speedo went right back to 90 mph and didn't skip a beat.

I tried it at a lower speed and speedo dropped to zero but then went back to normal.

So, not sure what this trick does but it does seem to put the truck in a different mode or something. Why else would that be there? I have never seen that on any other type of car or truck. Maybe for techs or something?

I will continue testing off and on to see if any difference.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:21 PM

i beleive that is the service mode for the dealer! doesn't rack up miles either but nothing works!
Old 03-23-2006, 07:12 AM

Hey Nutty, I think you enabled it again when you said the speedo started working again.

I'm going to do some testing today, just got off of a stretch of nights, so the truck hasn't fired up for some time.

If this is some kind of device that the dealers are using, I'm not impressed. Who knows what they can do to the truck when it's in for service. I always take down the mileage before any service. If they are doing something that doesn't involve driveline, they better not be joyriding around in my truck.

I've read the manuals and cannot find anything on it. Maybe it is something dodge doesn't want us knowing about.

Wow, here I am trying things that make my trucks ding and have no idea what it does, I need to find a hobby or somthing
Old 03-23-2006, 07:15 AM

Hey Newguy, we need pics of your custom leather seats
Old 03-23-2006, 07:35 AM

I couldn't find anything either in the CD of the service manual.

Some times when driving down the road and I turn the key back a tad, speedo keeps working without a problem. Other times (I might be going faster, forget right now) and I turn the key back a tad, speedo drops to zero and stays. I haven't checked to see id Odometer works or not while this is in that mode. Heck, if that is the case where is doesn't add mileage. I might never get off this warranty.

Too bad there are other ways to determine mileage on the truck.

If that is a Service mode and nothing works? Then I would think that it wouldn't be giving them a TRUE test to see if they fixed what ever it was brought in for. All my gauges worked fine when in that mode. Speedo just dropped a couple of times.

Will test some more today while out driving the roads.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:59 AM

The odometer and the engine hour counter would be the things I'd like to see. Thanks for the heads up,,,good gouge-------RJ
Old 03-23-2006, 04:07 PM

i cant post pics no where to host them! or dont know how i guess! sorry! otherwise you would see my ats grill also!
Old 03-23-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know about the Rams, but on my 4.7 Dakota I could turn the key forward and all the gauges would zero except the tach. Starter wouldn't engage because it had a safety switch that wouldn't let you start the truck when it was already running. This let you bypass the 99 mph speed limiter and keep rolling
Old 03-23-2006, 06:52 PM

I tried this trick and the odometer did not count the miles I drove, but I now have the check engine light on and two codes P0243 and P0480. What do these codes mean? Has anyone else recieved any codes doing this?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:40 PM

P0243 = turbo/super charger waste gate solinoid
p0480 = fan1 control circiut
Old 03-24-2006, 06:57 AM

What you are doing is disconnecting one circuit on the ign switch. The radio, a/c blower motor and a/c clutch, abs, airbag lose power. I drove around last night a bit trying it and my 6spd was sluggish while driving like that. These trucks have a sloppy ign switch.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 AM

Mine wouldn't do anything, no chime, nothing, i was going to say that the 6spd is exempt but rammtuff noticed something. If the park brake is on, it will go back one click and stay running, take the ebrake off and it kill the motor. Maybe I'll go down and ask the service manager at the local dealer. That should get his temp rising.

Quick Reply: Key Trick?