3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Keep Drop-In or get Rhino Lining?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:33 AM
dgm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My truck came with a drop-in bed liner with the Dodge Ram Emblem . I had a sprayed-in on my last truck and really liked it...so far, I am not so happy with the slippery drop in liner, but I could probably live with it and spend the $300 for a spray in on something else more fun! Opinions?

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 09:43 AM

I too got the drop in from Dodge on my 2nd gen. I went with spray in over the rails and would do it again in a heartbeat. Best money I've spent (so far). That plastic drop in is too slippery, as you mention. You can sell the drop in and recoup a little of your cost. I just saw in the Cabela's truck accessory catalog I got yesterday they are selling a do it yourself spray in coating kit. Includes the coating and the spray gun/nozzle for $89. All you need is an air compressor.

~Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 09:48 AM
dgm

Yeah, I'd really rather not do it myself...for 2 reasons.... Ziebart sands down the bed first AND they guarantee it for life. Doing it myself doesn't necessarily get either of those... hmm? My practical side says I should get the spray-in and my 'other' side says, "spend the money on a box, exhaust or guages!"

-Where would I sell the drop-in? Do you think Ziebart would take it as a partial trade?

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 09:53 AM

I agree with the not do it yourself route as well. I did it on my last truck myself, with a roll on kit. The prep work sucked, but it is the only way the stuff will stick is if you take the time and do the prep work correctly. $300 is a good deal, I didn't realize Ziebart was still in business. My grandfather always had his Buicks Ziebarted up north. I also didn't realize they did spray in bed liners. I went with Rhino linings and it cost me about $500-550 for over the rails on a short bed. I sold my liner by posting it for sale where I work and where my wife works. Doubt Ziebart would take it for partial payment.

~Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 09:56 AM
dgm

Yeah, Ziebart here is great. I've had them do a bed liner, diamond plate rails, underbody protection, and then right next door (actually in the same building) is an exhaust shop that put duals on my last truck... Between those two shops I could spend alot of money in a very short time!

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 10:28 AM

I vote for the Rhino Lining as well. One of the problems with a drop-in is you don't know what's going on underneath the drop-in. Lots of folks eventually remove the drop-in and discover a whole bunch of rust.
Old 03-22-2005, 10:39 AM

Rhino lining or Line-X! Your cargo in the bed will not move around like in a bedliner, and you dont have to worry about water/condensation building up underneath and rusting the bed.

Trending Topics

Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my line-x. There are also distributors across the country, unlike Ziebart, so if you move or have an issue somewhere on the road, your lifetime line-x warranty is honored. Ziebart seems to always be on the brink of bankruptcy and I've heard mixed reports about the quality of their work.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:12 AM
dgm

Hmm? Like I said I've had quite a bit of work done at our Ziebart and the quality has always been there. In fact, they have a reputation here for being THE quality place to get stuff done.

Well, I just made an apt. to have it done this afternoon. Now, I have to decide if I want it over the rails or get the diamond plate rail protectors.

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 11:17 AM

Over the rails. I wasn't sure which way to go either. I really like how the over the rails turned out. With caps, moisture can still get in there and cause damage. I've seen a lot of caps that get torn up because stuff got caught on them and they just end up looking bad over time.
If you go to the picture titled "Rob's Ram" in my gallery and click on it to zoom in, you can see how over the rails looks.

~Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 11:19 AM
dgm

....good point. I'll try to post pics when I get home.

-daniel
Old 03-22-2005, 12:34 PM

Over the rails without question. Don't forget to go over the tailgate rail too to line up the edges, and to prevent scratches when loading.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:35 PM

Heck I use a bedmat and like it just fine.A friend of mine has a drop in and just added a bed mat on top of it.No more sliding problem.For what a spray in costs a bedmat for $50.00 is a big savings for other things.
Old 03-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Rhino-line it, go over the rails - it doesn't look bad and the liner is well worth it. Rhino Liner also has a lifetime warranty againts peeling and can be repaired if gouged. Line-x may do the same type of warranty.

Had "drop in's" and got a lot of rust - rust is like cancer, will not stop once it starts.

LINE IT!

Eric
Old 03-22-2005, 03:55 PM

I agree with Rhino, Ziebart or Line-X. I have had both drop in and spray on. Spray in over the rails is the only way to go. I added a bed mat just to keep from gougeing or denting the bed floor.

Quick Reply: Keep Drop-In or get Rhino Lining?