3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Keep the 04 or move on to an 06 Megacab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't know what my Mom did but I remember sitting in the back seat STILL and QUIET.Was not allowed to kick and OH MY try that while eating and she'd ****** me up and well you know the rest.Its MUCH different these days.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM

My kids still test the waters from time to time, just like I did with my parents. I am sure we all did from time to time. He just needs reminded from time to time to BEHAVE. I try to understand a little about what the kids are going through. When I was a kid, I did not have to sit in one of these restrictive uncomfortable car seats. (I think I would have freaked out) I don't think the vehicles we owned when I was young even had seatbelts in the back seat. The front seat only had lap belts.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rough-n-Ready
My kids still test the waters from time to time, just like I did with my parents. I am sure we all did from time to time. He just needs reminded from time to time to BEHAVE. I try to understand a little about what the kids are going through. When I was a kid, I did not have to sit in one of these restrictive uncomfortable car seats. (I think I would have freaked out) I don't think the vehicles we owned when I was young even had seatbelts in the back seat. The front seat only had lap belts.
You know EXACTLY what I'm talking about
Old 12-16-2008, 12:17 PM

I have an 06 Megacab and could never go smaller. I have a Boxer Dog, 10 year old son and 4 year old daughter and they cannot reach my seat when they are in the back. I put a DVD player on the back of each headrest and man, it is great, plus, I have room for guests when I have the Toy hauler hooked up. I like the Megacab alot and agree with all the others, get one with a 5.9 and don't look back. Scotty
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 AM

I know I love mine. I use it to commute to the oil rig, and haul everything I need for a month away from home in the backseat area. Nothing has to go into the box unless its dirty. LOL They are great trucks! I have 28,000 miles on mine right now.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gaskicker it time the kids learn to act nice. If you do not make them act nice now how will they act 10 years from now??
Old 12-19-2008, 09:35 PM

They have been getting better....when the older 2 were a couple years younger it was real bad......now they just do it to 'rest' their legs, but it still bugs me when they do it.
As they get older the larger cab would facilitate a more comfortable ride too; however, I sure do like this truck....I ordered it on 4/1/04, had to wait til 6/13 for it to arrive - it was a long 10 weeks. Still have the window sticker.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:16 AM

Talking

GASKICKER...I`m in the same boat as you , I love my truck but sure could use the extra room in the back seat. With a 16 yr. old (tall as me 6FT) and an 11yr old. They are great kids , very well behaved , but when we go up to our property (3 1/2 + hrs. away) it`s not easy to sit still (and be compfortable) for that long.

I got mine in late June `04 as well.

The hardest pill to swallow is the value of the truck now

I`m happy with no truck payment right now , so it looks like I`ll be keeping mine unless a deal I can`t pass up comes along...Good luck with what ever you decide.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:05 AM

My '07 is probably very similiar to '06... No regrets as of yet other than I wished I purchased sooner to have possibly been able to locate one locally. I found this one over 2,000 miles away from here. ( I was not able to trade my vehiclel in on this... too far away) Local dealers were not going to search beyond 150 miles. Nor was the dealer I purchased from interested in trading inventory with my local dealer. Vehicle has been great so far.. Other than a mysterious door window break in the Laminated glass... (though it looks like it was probably defective....Chrysler has been NO help) and most recently the electric motor in the passenger side mirror went. about 15,000 miles on it so far. I agree with previous poster that the seats are not as plush as the other trucks of this price point (Ford, King Ranch or their leather seats, or GMC Duramax with leather seats).

This truck's turning radius makes it harder to turn in tight spots...or doing U-turns out on the roads/highways.

It could have used the 2 extra gears (like the 6.7equipped/Auto Trannys) at highway speeds.

Fuel milage has been variable depending on winterblend/summer fuel and what quality fuel the stations have been pumping. I have yet to haul anything yet...so empty cargo less passengers. I have not had too many highway trips... but hand calculated... city 14-16mpg approx...and highway 20-22 MPG approx 3.73 gears...stock tires. aired to specs EASY DRIVING.

Seems like Dodge could have used some better weather stripping... when traveling through the wet roads.// road grime makes its way up behind the door just below the door sill. This also makes for wind noise on those windy days.

Summer... air conditioner little week....especially for back passengers..even though there is separate ducting for rear compartment.

Navigation system-pretty plain. (very poor compared to HONDA, Acura etc.) Sometimes hard to understand audio commands (speaker design?) (Better off with aftermarket) Chrysler upgrades dvd disk are more expensive than just buying a cheap portable gps with more features.

I cross my fingers that I don't have the blend/door problem that I read that these trucks have.

Those are most of the flaws in my opinion that I have discovered this far. Other than that... truck has been great.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:33 AM

I came from an 04 PSD to my 06 Megacab dually and love it. I have a 12 year old and a 15 month old and the room is great. I do agree I wish the seats were more comfortable they could take some notes from Chevy on that and the AC could work a little better in the back seats but it does cool down pretty quick. My only complaint about the truck is the payment but I love it and won't get rid of it for a long time.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:47 AM

GasKicker,
something that I didn't see mentioned is that the bed on the mega's are alittle smaller (at least that is what I was told). Don't kid yourself and ask this question, are your kids going to be going on that many more trips with you??? Usually the kids these days will do anything they can to get out of long family trips after the age of about 15+... and if this is true I don't know that I would get rid of something you like so much for something that is only needed for a short time... I see alot of parents change thier lifestyle/toys and cars, boats, etc.. So they can fit thier teenaged kids only to find out that the kid is no where to be found when the activity comes around, so long story short they make extra room / bulk / expense for only a couple months of comfort...

Sorry that is kind of jumbled up, but hopefully you get the point...

Good luck,
Old 12-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I love my 06 Mega. I was actually looking for a QC but found the exact truck I wanted but it was the Mega. After taking a quick test drive and getting a super deal on it that I could not pass up, I bought it and I am so glad I did.

Like others have said, it would be very hard to get rid of a low mileage paid for truck. But as long as you can do that, get the mega and don't look back!!!
Old 12-21-2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Asher
GasKicker,
something that I didn't see mentioned is that the bed on the mega's are alittle smaller (at least that is what I was told). Don't kid yourself and ask this question, are your kids going to be going on that many more trips with you??? Usually the kids these days will do anything they can to get out of long family trips after the age of about 15+... and if this is true I don't know that I would get rid of something you like so much for something that is only needed for a short time... I see alot of parents change thier lifestyle/toys and cars, boats, etc.. So they can fit thier teenaged kids only to find out that the kid is no where to be found when the activity comes around, so long story short they make extra room / bulk / expense for only a couple months of comfort...

Sorry that is kind of jumbled up, but hopefully you get the point...

Good luck,

Not so..the bed is the same as all other short beds , the extra length of the truck is in the cab.

It`s basically a short bed ,built on a long bed frame.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Ram Daddy

It`s basically a short bed ,built on a long bed frame.
And many of the other accessories are interchangeable i.e. programers etc.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:41 AM

I too sold my 03 quad earlier this year and am going to be buying a mega sometime next year hopefully by springtime. I've always thought the quad cab was one of the most rubbish of ideas that Dodge ever had. Clearly the trend was moving towards more cab space for several years before the release of the 02 trucks (yes thanks, I know, 03+ for HD) but why they decided on the quad then completely overdo it in 06 with the mega is mind boggling.

I do like the mega, it's a little more than I need but I really don't want to get a Ford, but I like the Duramax however hate the GM trucks.

Quick Reply: Keep the 04 or move on to an 06 Megacab?