3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Keep the 04 or move on to an 06 Megacab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep the 04 or move on to an 06 Megacab?

Well the kids are getting older and I am getting tired of their feet in my back. The 04 is paid off and I am itching for a payment, seriously I'd really like to get the larger cab. Any thoughts? I'd like to get a 06 Laramie Megacab 4x4, which would have everything my current truck has plus the larger cab and a few other comforts.
Those that have the 06 megacab, do you have any regrets? When I ordered my 04 I had every intention of not getting another truck for a long time.....currently it only has 33k miles on it...we have really babied it.
In a perfect world I would trade someone for their megacab and throw in some cash to make up the difference.
I wanted to get some thoughts before I threw this in the classifieds.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:55 PM

Been happy with mine. Biggest gripes are that the seats padding being a little thin, the A/C tends to be pretty weak, and the gearing on the six speed tends to be lower than desired on the highway. The first two of these issues have fixes that are listed here on DTR, for the gearing i put some bigger tires on which helps lowering the RPMs on the highway, but because of the lift and bigger tires, did not really gain me any MPG.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 PM

One of the main reasons for buying my Megacab.....No more feet on the back of the seats!! Get it, you'll LOVE it!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 12:57 AM

Feet in your back? Smack them kids! My dog doesn't put his nose on my windows,surely you can fix the kids.The 04 is the higher fuel mileage,no cat and PAID FOR with 33k on it!
Old 12-13-2008, 01:12 AM

33K!!!! WOW keep it!!! and if at all possiable get rid of something else like the wifes car and get a mega.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:36 AM

Darn I wish it was a 2wd I'd say get that Mega so I could buy it.Going to replace the 98 1500 in my sig this new year some time.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:30 AM

I just had to sell my 08 Mega and in looking for another truck I am having a hard time going back to a quad cab. I found a super deal on an 06 Mega Laramie but it's only a 2wd. I am seriously considering it even though I really like the option of pulling that lever and having 4wd..... Megacabs are really nice. Almost like having an SUV....
Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 AM

The kids will grow! Before long it won't be their feet in your back, it'll be their knees. Megas are nice family vehicles and you won't have either problem if you get one. The overhead DVD keeps the kids entertained on family trips which is also nice. I also really like the ability of folding the rear seat down flat and hauling a ton of my things ( and my hunting partners), that I don't want to get wet, inside the cab.

If you are thinking of getting a low mileage mega with a 5.9, I would think that now is the time. With the 04 paid for you've got plenty of time to shop for the right truck.
The only thing that I would do different today is that I would wait for a truck without the lift and tires. Mine is a very nice looking truck, but for my uses, the lift and tires are not practical.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 AM

Welcome to the site, first of all!

That is a tough choice there, just because of the fact that your truck is paid for with such low miles...

But if haulin' people and kids is your main concern, and you still want the practicality of a truck, with the mandatory Cummins, a MegaCab is what you want...

All good advise, BTW!

Decisions, decisions...
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 AM

Thanks for all the input.....I have my eye on a couple megacabs that are for sale by owner which doesnt facilitate a trade very well - I asked both of the owners and both said they are 1 vehicle heavy and the megacab gots to go. Smacking the kids only works when the wife isnt watching; they are getting better and bigger though.
I think I will hang til after the new year and see how much further the prices come down.
Thanks again for all the ideas.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
ICL

Love my 06 Mega. I also have a 04 and a 05 quad cab as well. With the kids there is no comparison, The mega with its big room and space is wonderfull for the family. We allways take the mega to family outings,fishing trips, etc.

Drives a little different then the quad, I find driving the quad a little more "sporty" (lacking a better term). With that being said we always take the mega

Also a 06 mega with the 5.9 was only produced for 2 years. So they may be getting rare, I have no idea how many were actually produced. I will be holding onto mine for a while.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 AM

Just how BIG are your kids.LOL I have had many folks in the back of my truck with never a complaint of not enough room.Nor have I had any knees in my back.Paid for low mileage truck is nice to have in this economy unless you just happen to be THAT well off.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Man, I’d keep that truck and get a mini-van to haul the kids around in. Those ‘04s are great on fuel, plus with 33k on the clock and the maintenance you’ve done it sounds like you have a great truck.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you crazy????? Keep what you have. Big difference in fuel economy between 03-04 and 04.5-07. Besides, it's pad for and you will be lucky to get 18,000 for it on a trade in with this economy.

Edited: Oops, I see you have an 04.5
Old 12-13-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Hounddog
Just how BIG are your kids.LOL I have had many folks in the back of my truck with never a complaint of not enough room.Nor have I had any knees in my back.Paid for low mileage truck is nice to have in this economy unless you just happen to be THAT well off.
I know what he means about the kids feet in the back. I too have had many adult folks in the back of the quad cab, they have plenty of room and no knees or feet in the back, however my 4 year old son in his car seat sets him perfectly to make an extended leg kick right to the back of my shoulder blades it seems. I have reached around and grabbed his ankles with a death grip and a threat many times.

Quick Reply: Keep the 04 or move on to an 06 Megacab?