3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Just got back from test driving this...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe all autos come with it, you just have to enable it with the cruise control, sounds like previous owner did that for ya! That would be pretty cool if the smarty was still tuned in the truck! But with the test drive you would have definatly noticed.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:14 AM

nice truck. seems like a good price
Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by xtoyz17
The only reason I think it was chipped it because after a few minutes of idling, high idle kicked in. The engine speed ramped up to about 1000 RPMs before I threw it in drive and pulled away.

I'm assuming the means a smarty left high idle on it, because in this neck of the woods there is very little diesel market and I'm confident with our mild temps no one was running to the dealers demanding high idle to be enabled.

You guys have any alternative ideas about that?

Shawn
That is normal for our trucks if it was a little cold out. Under a cold start the truck will idle up for a few minutes. This is normal and not the high idle. The high idle is a manual way of doing the same thing at higher rpm's. I had my high idle activated by my dealer.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:25 AM

I don't know why Consumer Reports recommended avoiding the '06 CTD (it was listed with several other vehicles) but I can say that when I had a '06 w/60k inspected, the ball joints were done (I think that's typical of all of 'em) but it was otherwise in great shape - just wasn't set up for towing.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:34 AM

Yes it is normal for this truck to idle up on its own when a little cold outside. I have also had high idle turned up on mine and will go to 1100 when I turn it on using the cruise and will only go up to 1000 when it does it on its own.

If you tow I would immediately take it to the dealer (after you buy it of course) and make sure the TIPM has the correct flash. Also search for "towing" and "2006" and "TIPM". This issue cost me quite a bit shortly after buying my 2006 this last summer with 73k on it. Has something to do with the starter and the trailer lights. Since I had no warranty, cost me $923 parts and labor to have the TIPM replaced. I was almost ready to trade this truck in and would have if I hadn't already paid another $500 to replace my horse trailer lights for leds all around. I think I have it running pretty good now and the wife loves how the truck tows her horse trailer in the mountains.

I also had to have the front u-joints replaced and the carrier bearings in the rear end replaced. All told, after buying the truck for $21.5k, I have since had to put in about $4k into it.

Still love it though.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I haven't really decided on the price to be honest. I know what I'd like, but I also know the market sucks so I'm not even sure if I'll be able to sell it. My girlfriend is in the middle of unloading her 2006 Civic so I think she may end up driving my 99 around while she shops for a Mini Cooper and I'll be picking up a newer truck.

Shawn
Tell your girlfriend to be real careful buying a Mini Cooper. A reputable independent mechanic I know has one on his rack searching nationwide for a tranny for it. The tranny failed @ 22,000. Dealer wants(gulp) $18,000 for a new one. Get that truck. I sold my '99 and enjoy this '07 very much.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:00 AM

Good to hear about the high idle, maybe I'm just paranoid about the smarty being loaded at some point than. It definitely did NOT have any sort of tuner loaded into it still because it felt pretty comparable to my truck my adrenaline turned up to around the 75-90hp area.

Originally Posted by Danderson
Tell your girlfriend to be real careful buying a Mini Cooper. A reputable independent mechanic I know has one on his rack searching nationwide for a tranny for it. The tranny failed @ 22,000. Dealer wants(gulp) $18,000 for a new one. Get that truck. I sold my '99 and enjoy this '07 very much.
We've been doing a lot of research and reading, and have seen a lot of horror stories. This particular one doesn't surprise me to be honest. The only good part about this is that we plan on kids in the coming years so she's going to end up leasing new (and will be under warranty for the whole time), and in 3 years she'll be turning it back in for some form of diesel SUV if they finally have the kinks worked out at that point.

I'm gonna swing by this place again tonight and take a closer look at the truck, and I'll see if they'll put it on a lift and let me poke my head around. Otherwise, I'll end up taking it to a friends shop. I just did tie rod ends, steering box, and a 3rd gen track bar conversion on my truck so I definitely don't want to be doing front end work in the next few months again

Thanks again guys,
Shawn
Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM

I've been sitting here running some numbers and it looks like this truck will definitely work out if I wanna sign the dotted line. The payment on my 99 is $326 a month, and the payment for this 2006 would be $392 a month, maybe a little bit less. That's a pretty small jump considering it's seven years newer, 100k miles less, and a better engine that doesn't have a VP44 to freak me out.

I also really like the the 06 because of the newer body style, ability to have factory control of the exhaust brake, and the more powerful engine (04.5+).

I certainly won't miss the mileage of my truck, just this morning after 450 miles I hand calculated it to 17.5 on the highway which is good but definitely obtainable by a third gen as well.

Anyone see any flaws in my thinking?

Shawn
Old 12-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mishkaya is correct, my 06 will do the same thing.
Old 12-01-2008, 12:49 PM

price

A month ago I paid $17.5K for my early '04 with 62K miles, SLT. Prices are still pretty stale in my area.
Attached Thumbnails Just got back from test driving this...-dsc02751.jpg  
Old 12-01-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Danderson

This sounds wrong to me. I don't know anything about Mini Cooper, but a co-worker of mine has one and it has a 3yr/36k warranty on it from the factory. The base price on a new Mini is just above what you state to replace the tranny. At 22k miles the tranny would still be under warranty, and it is really hard to imagine spending as much as a new car to replace the tranny.

But......what do I know?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:42 PM

I've been sitting here running some numbers and it looks like this truck will definitely work out if I wanna sign the dotted line. The payment on my 99 is $326 a month, and the payment for this 2006 would be $392 a month, maybe a little bit less. That's a pretty small jump considering it's seven years newer, 100k miles less, and a better engine that doesn't have a VP44 to freak me out.

I also really like the the 06 because of the newer body style, ability to have factory control of the exhaust brake, and the more powerful engine (04.5+).

I certainly won't miss the mileage of my truck, just this morning after 450 miles I hand calculated it to 17.5 on the highway which is good but definitely obtainable by a third gen as well.

Anyone see any flaws in my thinking?

Shawn

Go for it. I have the same truck (SLT though). I have no problem getting 17.5 highway.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:43 PM

Cool

Around here the truck market is really soft. '06 and 5.9L'07 trucks are under$20k. New 2500s w/ towing/Big Horn packages are under $26k. Do you know the history on the truck....was it local? Dealers buy at the major auctions, and previous history is non-existent. I would look at new, or find a private seller......although I don't know your financing situation. Dealers are desperate to sell these things, bargain hard for a new one. I'd be worried about the pending frontend overhaul.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM

dealer

I bought mine from a dealer. The day I took it home they priced me a new one just like it for $33K. I can't live with that much depreciation on the first 60K miles. But I knew the person that bought my truck new so that helped too.

Although new truck prices seem very reasonable today I think they have also drove the used price down to the point they are almost unresistable.

Quick Reply: Just got back from test driving this...