3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Jacobs E-Brake Self Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2003, 11:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacobs E-Brake Self Install

Picked it up today, any tips from those that have been there and done that?<br><br>TIA
Old 03-22-2003, 11:05 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Jacobs E-Brake Self Install

[quote author=Nevada link=board=17;threadid=12599;start=0#119026 date=1048311847]<br>Picked it up today, any tips from those that have been there and done that?<br><br>TIA<br>[/quote]<br><br>I can give you a tip from someone who didn't install it themselves. Sure glad I had it done. <br><br>I watched the whole thing. Make sure you have set aside plenty of time. My mechanic dropped both front wheels off so he could get at stuff easier. After watching it, I agree. It was his first installation on the 2003 - - took him 5 hours. Did the kit come with the new serpentine? Make sure you have it before starting.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:59 PM

Thanks Bob. Yes it did come with a serpentine belt and a very detailed set of instructions that indicates that both front wheels and fender liners should be removed. I am fairly mechanicaly inclined, have a larger than average set of tools and find projects like this to be theraputic.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

It sounds like you should do fine. I have not worked on diesels much at all. I would not have felt comfortable doing it then. I would tackle it now with no hesitation. However, at $299 installed, no way I was getting my pinky dirty. <br><br>ChickenBob
Old 03-23-2003, 07:49 PM

Follow the intstruction to the letter. Don't forget to put on your shrink tubing before soldering the splice for the 12 volt power. The connector lock in the fan control connector pulls to the center. Took me a while to figure that out as the eyes are not that good. Double and triple check your wire colors before inserting them in the ECM connector. Be careful with the gasket, it is very fragile and can be easily damaged. Install the turbo to brake clamp first and rotate it carefully so that the exhaust outlet will line up and then tighten the turbo clamp fully. Loosen the exhaust hangers so that stuff will line up. This will avoid damage to that gasket.<br><br>Watch your fingers when you install the serpentine belt. The vacuum pump will go into the opening at the front of the engine but it is like one of those metal puzzles that we had as kids. It has to twist and turn and it only goes in one way. Don't force it.<br><br>Good luck. Took me five hours.<br><br>Casey
Old 03-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Great tips casey , Thanks. - I've been monitoring this post as I'm going to do the brake install next weekend as well (assuming I get my truck this week !!)<br><br>Nevada - if you've put yours on allready - forward any tips you would like to add eh ?<br><br>
Old 03-25-2003, 12:33 AM

It took about five hours, time consuming but not overly difficult. The instructions include a list of necessary tools, I was suprised that the only SAE wrench I needed was an open end 1/2&quot; to take off the battery cables, everything on the engine is metric. Deep 10 and 11mm sockets are a must. It is not necessary to remove the driver side battery, though you must disconnect it. I routed my inside switch cable under the shifter boot instead of over the floor console. As was mentioned, the only real trick is maneuvering the vacuum pump under the throtle position sensor. I ran a layer of friction tape under the shifter switch to keep it from rotating on the shaft. Works great.<br><br>Good Luck.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:55 AM

More good tips - thanks Nevada. I plan on doing mine this weekend.
Old 03-29-2003, 11:40 PM

Well the jake is in ;D ;D<br><br>Went real well. Did the brake and the gauges in about 6.5 hours. <br><br>My tips for jake....leave the drivers side tire &amp; battery in. You do need to take both wheel well liners and the pass. tire off. I didn't have any trouble getting the vacuum pump in the hole at all ??? as others did. Bolts were a little difficult to get to, but not as bad as some of the other toys in the garage...<br><br>The only real strange thing I noticed was the lack of the throttle position sensor the directions said I had to remove to put the vacuum pump in. It wasn't there at all. The only thing bolted in the three bolts was a wire loom clamp ??? ???<br>Is my truck missing the throttle position sensor ????? I wouldn't think the computer would like that to well.
Old 03-30-2003, 10:37 AM

one more note...the vacuum pump is kind of noisy - a lot whiffing going on.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:24 PM

A mid year production change moved the TPS under the battery. Not sure why.<br><br>Casey